IGNORED

Favourite City Last Minute Goal?

iamalagerdrinker

Ones that stand out for me are:

1983 FA Cup - Martyn Hirst at Eastville (we were in a lower division to Rovers at the time so being underdogs and coming from behind made it even sweeter)

2004 Play-off semi second leg  - Christian Roberts v Hartlepool (roof lifted off Ashton Gate!)

Last season at Fulham - Tomlin's free kick (both at risk of relegation at the time so important; great away day atmosphere)

All won 2-1 after conceding first which may have something to do with it. Plus all important matches.

2 hours ago, super slick said:

McCombe away at Doncaster in promotion season is the one that sticks with me.

Pretty drab game, last minute free kick, was directly in line with it, and new it was in immediately! He just seemed to hang in the air!

Remember Jamie McCombe scoring an overhead kick in the last minute to win us a game. Those were the days when we had a plan B and stuck a big centre half up front with the strikers for the last 5 minutes.

6 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Remember Jamie McCombe scoring an overhead kick in the last minute to win us a game. Those were the days when we had a plan B and stuck a big centre half up front with the strikers for the last 5 minutes.

Think you have some rose tinted glasses on there. No good doing that when your 6 nil down at home against Cardiff.

11 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

It was Boxing Day 2003, I remember it well because I was in with the home fans, (I was carer for a wheelchair user), I got kicked out for celebrating the goals!

Just at the start of our 11 game streak.. great away day as we never did well on boxing day iirc.

For me it's the 2-1 away win at Watford in the championship play off season.

They had Darius Henderson and Marlon King up front. Darren byfield popped up with a last minute header from a break away.

the majority of my friends are Watford fans and I had my works do around 500 yards from Vicaridge road. Won a £200 BBQ in the raffle.

Good day!

22 hours ago, 22A said:

Five contenders;

1986 home to Hereford in the LDV semi final 2nd leg. 2-0 down after the first leg, City were 2-0 up going into stoppage time. A third goal went in and two years after getting out of Div 4, City were at Wembley for a cup final.

That goal was possibly more important to the club than that fifth goal at Mansfield.

For you young us, it was similar to the winner v Hartlepool in the 2004 play off semi final.

The 1983 winner in the cup game at Eastville is also a worthy contender for "best last minute goal" award.

1970 Gerry Sharpe v Cardiff to end a long run of defeats (H&A) to Cardiff.

Remember the Gerry Sharpe goal , well remember that day as my dad had dragged me out of the ground and we were half way through the car park when the roar went up!!!

1 hour ago, poland_exile said:

Donowa by a country mile. As a second place, i'll take Jacki's brace against Wolves. 

Blimey I remembered that one last night. 88th & 90th minute.. 92/93 season.

13 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

one of my favourite games of all time! Cole's debut, the Gate under floodlights and Jacki as supersub. The roof lifted off the Dolman when those goals went in! 

Was my first night match. Was only allowed Saturday games before that. Remember Jacki's debut a few weeks before thaf against Southend. Barry Fry had them second with Stan Collymore up front I think?

9 hours ago, Squeak said:

Steve Brooker away at Blackpool anyone? I seem to remember the Manchester Hotel absolutely rocking after that one. 

This was going to be my suggestion. First game of the season, make the trip to Blackpool for it to be pissing down and their away 'stand' having no protection from the wind and rain. Thinking we'd made the trip for a 0-0 to then grab the winner made the trip well worth it.

3 hours ago, Tomarse said:

Was my first night match. Was only allowed Saturday games before that. Remember Jacki's debut a few weeks before thaf against Southend. Barry Fry had them second with Stan Collymore up front I think?

Jacki's debut was ace, what a buzz it was to have him in the team! I can't remember Collymore playing for Southend that match, but it was definitely the time he was turning out for them so I'll put that down to my cobwebbed memory. This was my first year of following city away, loved that season to bits! 

On Sunday, January 15, 2017 at 19:48, BS15_RED said:

Tinnion playing his 500th game crossing for Goodfellow, on his debut, to head an injury time winner away at Notts County during a run of 11 straight wins in 2003-04 was a good one.

I was in the Notts County Directors box for that game. My father in law at the time was a massive County fan and had sponsored the game. Fair to say that I wasnt very restrained at that moment in time.

13 minutes ago, wallaceboy said:

this 1 here.i remember the mansfield fans in the train station singing 4-2 obviously having left early thinking they had won it.

I remember getting abused by their fans walking out of the ground for cheating. Wasn't it their fans who threw the ball to the back of the stand at 4-4.. pretty sure the ref added on another 30 seconds for that and we scored from it. Karma is a bitch kids..

Suprised none of the older guys on here haven't mentioned this one..

On 15/01/2017 at 20:17, formerly known as ivan said:

http://www.skysports.com/football/bristol-c-vs-huddsfld/53577

Vaguely remembered the year as I knew my daughter was born around the same time and it was one of my first games after she was born

Bloody hell, look at that table.

Since then Luton have been non-league, as have Wrexham, Stockport, Torquay and Tranmere.

On the other hand, Hull, Bournemouth and Blackpool have all been in the Premier League.

1/3 of the teams in that table have either lost league status or reached the top flight.

5 hours ago, Tomarse said:

I remember getting abused by their fans walking out of the ground for cheating. Wasn't it their fans who threw the ball to the back of the stand at 4-4.. pretty sure the ref added on another 30 seconds for that and we scored from it. Karma is a bitch kids..

Suprised none of the older guys on here haven't mentioned this one..

Yep,that's the one,If you were there you would understand why,that was an immense day out.

One of the few last minute goals I can remember and certainly won't be on anyone else's list of greatest last minute goals other than maybe Peter Beadle's.

21st December, 2002.

Tony Thorpe is booked on a return to Ashton Gate, as one of 5 Luton players to be cautioned. The Hatters take the lead, 8 minutes into the second half, before having a player issued a red card in the 90th minute.

14,000 City fans are getting ready to leave with the score 0-1, me and my Dad were stood on the steps area at the Atyeo end of the Dolman and we are awarded a corner in the final minute of injury time. I remember my Dad had given up hope on anything coming of it (I think we had taken a number of very poor corners that day) and unsurprisingly the cross was headed away. I was just about to turn away when I saw Beadle jog a few steps forward and absolutely hammer the ball with a volley he connected with perfectly.

That was the final meaningful kick, as the referee blew for full time immediately after kickoff.

FT 1-1 and Beadle rescues a point to make it 11 games unbeaten.

This game was just 3 games after the famous Mansfield match.

1 hour ago, Hampshire reds said:

The way Stelling celebrated Cardiff getting a late winner against us it has to be Christian Roberts winner against Hartlepool. Just to piss Stelling off sad and bitter man he is.

I have to agree this is the best last-minuter, for me.. everything about that night was surreal

Archived