IGNORED

How has it all gone so wrong

sh1t_ref_again

As the title says, when or why has such a  promising start to the season gone so dramatically wrong? me like many others have now lost faith (maybe including the players) due to the constant tinkering and changing players and formations, just for a bit a fun to try and work out if our team changed at a certain time I have listed out the games and selection, in 31 games we have used 30 players, albeit some have left and a couple very briefly, with only 1 player Flint starting all the games. The only other name that seems a certain starter is Tammy, who has played in all with 3 sub appearances. Thats without the number of different formations we have played, sometimes 3 or 4 in a game and players out of position.

Fielding    Ayling    Brownhill    Abraham
 Lucic    Bryan    McClousky    Garita
 O'Donnell    Ekstrand     Freeman    Djuric
     Flint    Hegeler    Engvall
     Golbourne    O'Dowda    Kodjia
     Little    O'Neil    Wilbraham 
     Magnusson    Pack    
     Matthews    Paterson     
     Moore    Reid    
     Williams    Smith     
         Tomlin    

bcfc.JPG

Regardless of players used, i'd say our tinkerman manager is the issue. 

Absolutely no need to tinker and change the personnel and formations so often. 

Weve also given up the defensive pressing game during this run. Is this tactical or players not giving a sh1t? I'd say the former. 

We are sitting deep, the Reading game was a joke. 

Get the team 15 yards further up, get some energy in midfield and on the wings and most of all lets stop playing passes to statues. Lets get some bloody passing and MOVEMENT. 

we are so easy to play against right now. Sitting deep inviting pressure. Sitting off wingers inviting free crosses. Not anticipating movement in the box with lazy movement ( 2nd goal yesterday for example ). 

I have to admit, with LJ's age and relative inexperience, i do wonder how he handles our older, possibly more wise, players. Rumours of GON/Tomlin fall outs. I'd say hes a bit like his old man and the old hand grenades are not whats needed with these type of players. 

I dont see him leaving anytime soon either  the 'project' he talks of i think is SL sticking rather than twisting for a change  unfortunately how long are we waiting for a win? On current form we are relegation fodder and hoping rotherham, wigan, burton etc are worse than us will not be keeping us up  

with these players we should be comfortably mid table if not higher  unfortunately LJ is potentially taking us down.

12 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Regardless of players used, i'd say our tinkerman manager is the issue. 

Absolutely no need to tinker and change the personnel and formations so often. 

Weve also given up the defensive pressing game during this run. Is this tactical or players not giving a sh1t? I'd say the former. 

We are sitting deep, the Reading game was a joke. 

Get the team 15 yards further up, get some energy in midfield and on the wings and most of all lets stop playing passes to statues. Lets get some bloody passing and MOVEMENT. 

we are so easy to play against right now. Sitting deep inviting pressure. Sitting off wingers inviting free crosses. Not anticipating movement in the box with lazy movement ( 2nd goal yesterday for example ). 

I have to admit, with LJ's age and relative inexperience, i do wonder how he handles our older, possibly more wise, players. Rumours of GON/Tomlin fall outs. I'd say hes a bit like his old man and the old hand grenades are not whats needed with these type of players. 

I dont see him leaving anytime soon either  the 'project' he talks of i think is SL sticking rather than twisting for a change  unfortunately how long are we waiting for a win? On current form we are relegation fodder and hoping rotherham, wigan, burton etc are worse than us will not be keeping us up  

with these players we should be comfortably mid table if not higher  unfortunately LJ is potentially taking us down.

I think we are so scared of losing now that we sit deep to try to stop the opposition but all that does is invite pressure which we can't deal with. Attack is the best form of defence. Why don't we try one game attacking with width and pace and numbers. That would be such a refreshing change from LJ's tactics.

58 minutes ago, marmite said:

I think we are so scared of losing now that we sit deep to try to stop the opposition but all that does is invite pressure which we can't deal with. Attack is the best form of defence. Why don't we try one game attacking with width and pace and numbers. That would be such a refreshing change from LJ's tactics.

Agree with this, also confidence is gone, but we don't have much pace in the side.

Conceding late goals is often down to tiredness both physically and mentally, which comes from players either not fit enough or match fit as not playing regular games.

When we were promoted to the championship, we struggled under SC's leadership. IMO most people on the forum including myself, felt that because of the lack of new signings, and the fact that SC refused to change from 3 at the back in to a 442 or at least a different formation that the players we had at the  time were more comfortable with, were big reasons that he was replaced. JP and the coaching staff took over, the formation was changed, and results improved. LJ took over. At first I was sceptical, but results continued to improve. What I was most impressed with about LJ was that he seemed to identify during a game where the problems were and acted very quickly in substituting players to change things around and this worked. I think he even substituted someone early in the first half once to change things. This was a breath of fresh air as SC would not change anyone, or left it to the last 10 minutes. I now feel that LJ has inherited SC intransigence, Of course it could be that he was happy to act with players he had inherited from SC, but is being a bit more careful with the new signings. Our 3 most resent signings seem to be good players, but they will gone as soon as we are relegated. We have 20 games left to stay up, we can't rely on other teams to screw up as we have done. We must use a formation that our players cope with the best, forget about attractive neat football, and fight for every point. If there are players that have fallen out with the manager, then LJ has to take the lead and sort it out, even if this means he has to back down or apologise. This club has been starved of success for over 100 years, [ apart from a few years in the top division, one FA cup final ]  we have an owner who has supported this manager, and provided Bristol with an wonderful stadium. But what ever anyone says Bristol City FC is owned by the fans, SL, LJ the players and other employees are only temporary. If any of them don't want to be part of this club and ensure it is successful then leave. We only want people who go the extra mile, that  means players that fight and battle for every point, or perhaps others who need to draw a line under arguments or differences of opinions to do the best for this incredible club. PS As you can see I am not used to writing on the forum, so don't slaughter me to much.        

Its very simple, earlier in the season we were papering over the cracks, with fortunate wins against wigan and burton.....also worth noting that other sides wrre still finding their feet and putting the starting blocks in place, to enable consistency, which they have built on.

Then we have a manager who is completely out of his depth highlighted by the following examples

*highlighting the importance of players playing in a consistent position to support their development.....and then doing the oppsite

*highlighting the philosophy of his bristol city team.....which has now completely disappeared and now just a pointless soundbite

*signing HIS players and then either not playing them or putting them in unfamiliar positions

*the consistent change in formation making it absolutely impossible for players to gain consistency

*the constant misguided trust in players who did not merit a place

*the constant change of midfield partnerships

*the constant dropping of players in form playing well

* the home defeats against average sides who, with respect, have deserved their victories

I coukd go on.

It went wrong when someone (not necessarily LJ) started peddling the idea that we were buying expensive young players for the future.

We've actually bought expensive young players who are too similar and LJ doesn't know which of them to include and how to play them.

I actually don't think there has been a single problem where it has "all gone wrong" but many themes.

For many matches our build up play was just unbelievably pedestrian that we were crowded out by the time we got near the opposition final third. Tammy alone up front with Tomlin as the (non) link man didn't help at the start of the bad run.

Last game, I thought Lee had obviously told them all to step up the speed of attack and we were quicker on the break and sure enough both our goals came from great runs from our half that left the Taffs' defence in disarray.

HOWEVER, the failing against both Reading and Cardiff was a tortoise-like retreat into our defensive shells once we started to fear the game was slipping away. Sorry, but having 8 players standing around in your box does not constitute a defence. No attempts were made to close down attackers or to try to interfere with their approach play. Instead the whole team stare, like a snake watching a mongoose, waiting until an opponent takes a shot which presumably they hope they'll block somehow. If I saw a schoolboy team do that I'd pull them up on it! How the f- has that been allowed to creep into our game?!! Ever see another team stand motionless while we pass the ball around just outside their box?!!!! 

Coaching, coaching, coaching. WTF are these guys being told. 

We sold our best player without a replacement. Eventually got found out. Because of the former, we had no real attacking options. Inexperienced manager continued to tinker and we lost confidence throughout the team. Pressure got to manager and confidence got to the players.

Not rocket science.

Even when we were winning the football was dire.home to Wigan we got lucky.absolutely battered by Burton away,God know how we won that game,Blackburn,forest,Ipswich,Leeds all won ugly.

Somehow we beat fulham away 4-0 ,probably the best we have played.

I haven't left Ashton gate this season feeling like I,'ve seen a good game.the wins papered over the cracks and he appears clueless in how to stop this bad run

16 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

As the title says, when or why has such a  promising start to the season gone so dramatically wrong? me like many others have now lost faith (maybe including the players) due to the constant tinkering and changing players and formations, just for a bit a fun to try and work out if our team changed at a certain time I have listed out the games and selection, in 31 games we have used 30 players, albeit some have left and a couple very briefly, with only 1 player Flint starting all the games. The only other name that seems a certain starter is Tammy, who has played in all with 3 sub appearances. Thats without the number of different formations we have played, sometimes 3 or 4 in a game and players out of position.

Fielding    Ayling    Brownhill    Abraham
 Lucic    Bryan    McClousky    Garita
 O'Donnell    Ekstrand     Freeman    Djuric
     Flint    Hegeler    Engvall
     Golbourne    O'Dowda    Kodjia
     Little    O'Neil    Wilbraham 
     Magnusson    Pack    
     Matthews    Paterson     
     Moore    Reid    
     Williams    Smith     
         Tomlin    

bcfc.JPG