IGNORED

Man U. 0-0 Chelsea. 25th November 1989

MigratedRobin

Starting at Chelsea, Man U. go on a 17 game nightmare ride losing 6 drawing 9 and only winning 2. If it wasn't for a goal by former City player Mark Robins in the F.A. Cup then the greatest British manager in living memory would have been sacked (probably)!

Now in no way am I saying that if Johnson is given more time he will end up anywhere near the heights that Ferguson climbed, I'm just saying that football seems to be getting to the point where Managers will come and go on a monthly basis, and this to me would seem to be a real shame. Never again will we see the likes of Kenny Dalgleish, Brian Clough or Alan Curbishley who were given time to build a long term sustainable sucessful team/teams and club.

I would love it for LJ to suddenly turn this round; smash Fleetwood, smash Forest, unexpected 4th round shock at a Premier League team, then a stunning run of form that lifts us away from the drop zone and into the heady heights of mid table before the campaign ends.

Honestly; I would love it.

But I do not think the signs are good.  And as pointed out; Ferguson had the fact he could point to prior success at Aberdeen to prove that he could achieve things.  

Had LJ previously the type of glory Sir Alex enjoyed, I could believe we might turn around.  Instead we must bank on the fact his Barnsley team experienced similar woes at the start of last season and then went on a very good run, at which point he left for us, before this culminated in anything.

If he's going nowhere, of course I want him to do well.  The concern is that all signs point to trouble, and we're buckled in with him, rain or shine.

31 minutes ago, smokey live said:

Sir Alex had already won a league title, Cup and european cup to deserve the respect for a little bit extra time

Not at United, he hadn't.

If he hadn't won the FA Cup that year, with his team struggling against relegation, he'd've been toast (whatever Martin Edwards might say with the benefit of hindsight).

Dropping Leighton, a man he had himself worked with -and purchased from - Aberdeen in favour of Les Sealey took massive balls and paid dividends. The rest is history...

It's happened before, you know. A young manager took over a club for which he had previously been a player. He won just 6 matches out of 36 . The team lost patience and he was sacked. The team was relegated, but the manager went on to great success. The team took 33years to return to the point from which it was when the young manager was appointed. The team was Fulham. The manager was Bobby Robson.

1 minute ago, smokey live said:

:laugh:. Oh really?

Yes, really - prior to 1990 AF had not won anything at Man United -do you dispute this?

He had a superb track record up at Aberdeen but that meant diddly squat after three years at OT and the club seemingly going nowhere (and having spent a boatload of money to boot).

Just now, AzerbaijanApeman said:

Yes, really - prior to 1990 AF had not won anything at Man United -do you dispute this?

He had a superb track record up at Aberdeen but that meant diddly squat after three years at OT and the club seemingly going nowhere (and having spent a boatload of money to boot).

Haha. No I dont dispute it. Thought that pretty obvious

Archived