IGNORED

Ambition of Club

We live in hope

Football is and always has been corporate but not in the dressing room. The top 10 teams in the championship are now the equivalent of the bottom halve of the premiership! Do you really expect to get somewhere in this league with Oxford united signings and players from the lower leagues!

Football players are men and they require leaders and to have belief that the person telling them what to do, knows what their talking about and has a confidence based on proven experience! Yes we know good business arrives from selling players like Southampton have done over the years, however this team needs half a dozen seasoned professionals in the prime of their careers who can play in the Championship and are proven! (but this does not fit the recruiting policy ;-)  At this rate and on current form we are going to be relegated and if its bad now it will be a whole lot worse for Ashton as you have backed Johnson,  this is failing and you might just go down with him! If I was the owner I would be starting to think it really was a big gamble putting such an inexperienced manager in place!  Ashton has much more influence than people think regarding players in my humble opinion..

Johnson was recruited because he was an inexperienced manager who would not challenge the authority of the those pulling the strings. Cotterill I believe was too strong a character for Ashton. He understood the calibre of player that was required to turn a long season into success in the championship, however he did not agree with recruiting policy mandate as no doubt he had ambitions to be successful as a manager in this league, and he was aware he did not have the men on the pitch to do it. Cotterill played entertaining football that required goals to be scored in order to counter the goals we would inevitably concede hence the sort of strikers he went after. I wish he had 38 plus signings like LJ has had! Lets be honest, yes we took some loses by 4 goals but I genuinely believe if we would have had a couple of quality strikers along side our old asset now at Villa then things would of worked better than where we are now. Johnson just does not command the respect of the players its a simple as that! The board will not change that!

Once players have doubt in the dressing room its over for the manager, remember what happened to the mighty Mourinho at Chelsea!

The sad thing is we are now regarded as a bit of a laughing stock as the pundits on sky suggested we would capitulate and of course we did. Yet the three new signings to bolster the so called spine of the team changed little.. Yes they need time...However in my humble opinion the  tactics of LJ are not up to the job, clearly you can keep blaming luck and then expressing you see the light at the end of the tunnel but it does not wash anymore, we create our own luck! this football team has lost all confidence! Only a new manager with a seasoned back ground will turn these players into a winning team.

Maybe a coincidence, what appointment was made around the time we started on this bad run?

Yes LJ this might be your dream job in your Dream location but you are far from our dream manager!

23 minutes ago, We live in hope said:

Football is and always has been corporate but not in the dressing room. The top 10 teams in the championship are now the equivalent of the bottom halve of the premiership! Do you really expect to get somewhere in this league with Oxford united signings and players from the lower leagues!

Not true.  Last years top scorer Andre Gray came from non league to Luton to Brentford, as did Dwight Gayle before the illustrious Peterborough.. as did Vardy..

Football players are men and they require leaders and to have belief that the person telling them what to do knows what there talking about and has a confidence based on proven experience! Yes we know good business arrives from selling players like Southampton have done over the years, however this team needs half a dozen seasoned professionals in the prime of their careers who can paly in the Championship and are proven! (but this does not fit the recruiting policy ;-)) 

Not so sure about that. We need a system that works and a bit of good fortune. Not necessarily signing ten 29 year olds on 20000 a week.

At this rate and on current form we are going to be relegated and if its bad now it will be a whole lot worse for you Ashton as you have backed Johnson and it is failing and you might just go down with him!

Why? Ashton doesn't pick the team, make subs, set up our tactics, train the players and manage the personalities.. he just helps get transfers over the line

Yet your three new signings to bolster the so called spine of them changed nothing..

Wrong. They've been here for TWO games. All of them have added something to our first team.

Maybe a coincidence, what appointment was made around the time we started on this bad run?

A nonsense old wives tales with no evidence that we are privy to that you can base anything on. None of us are on the training ground. Holden is training the forwards.. since he's come in, who's started scoring again after a bit of a rut? No one is mentioning that.

I don't think anybody can question this clubs ambitions!!! You just have to look around you at Ashton Gate to see that. Look, there is absolutely no magic formula in creating a successful football team. Absolutely none. Nobody would have seen Leicester winning the league with the team that they had. It just happened to click on various different levels. Of course you can help your chances with recruiting experienced players, however, this isn't an option at the moment as it simply isn't sustainable in the long term. Take Portsmouth as an example. 

I'm not sure where you've got this "laughing stock" from? Only a few weeks ago Henry Winter wrote in this column how well this club was run from top to bottom.  

Overall, this club is an ambitious club in all departments, except in the recruitment of management staff. I've lost count the amount of time that we've taken the "cheap option" when looking for a manager. I've always had this feeling that if we'd appointed an experienced Championship manager, then SL would have saved himself millions (and a whole lot of time) in wasted transfer fees and paid up contracts!! 

Taking my rose tinted glasses off, Bristol City is a great football club. Its got a 30,000 all seater stadium, in one of the biggest catchment areas in the country.  If Bristol City was in the Premier League, I have absolutely no doubt that we would sell out most weeks. I can't think of many better and ambitious owners to work for than SL.

So, to answer you question, we're ambitious in a way that won't put the club at risk, however, we do lack slight ambition in the recruitment of our managers. 

IMO, its all good owning Mercedes F1 team, but you aren't going to win a thing with you've got Stevie Wonder behind the wheel. 

Anyone questioning the club's ambition is living in some parallel universe, where we have not invested in a fantastic new stadium and where we don't have one of the best young forwards in the country on loan, and where we are not about to make our 4th excellent signing of this window.

It may not be working buty ambition is most certainly not the issue!

55 minutes ago, We live in hope said:

Johnson was recruited because he was an inexperienced manager who would not challenge the authority of the those pulling the strings. Cotterill was to strong a character for Ashton. He understood the calibre of player that was required to turn a long season into success in the championship, however he did not agree with recruiting policy mandate as no doubt he had ambitions to be successful as a manager in this league, and he was aware he did not have the men on the pitch to do it. Cotterill played entertaining football that required goals to be scored in order to counter the goals we would inevitably concede hence the sort of strikers he went after. I wish he had 38 plus signings like LJ has had!

No offence but imho that is complete bollox, recruiting people who believe in and will go along with a strategy is a way away from being a yes man.

As for Cott's, the D1 season we had the best players and could out score teams. I voiced concerns about the gung ho style but it didn't mater as we scored so freely. That was never going to happen in this League, and man did that prove true. 

I don't know exactly what happened with the player recruitment that first summer (does anyone?) , but what I heard/read we bid for two top forwards. Those bids were accepted, and wages agreed in one case. The fact that players chose not to come is what happens, now why we didn't have contingency plans is anyone's guess. The renewed recruitment coincided with MA coming back (didn't he help with the in comings for the promotion year) . As I understand our system, manager says he wants a type of player. The scouts pull together a list, as a group (including manager) discuss and choose targets, MA does the business. Cott's struck me as someone who would want complete control of everything, that is rare these days, and if you think about it it doesn't make sense with todays turnover of managers.

On 38 signings (is it really that many?) , many of those were for the youth team and future. Lets not forget we could barely put out a full team and bench.

In my opinion, which counts for less than nothing , LJ's time is done.

Archived