IGNORED

Fair play to the Chinese league....

formerly known as ivan

7 minutes ago, hodge said:

Doing that in the premier league would just make people realise the real lack of quality in depth there is of English players. The quality of the league would also reduce as a result.

Very true, but long term the quality of some young English players might increase though if they're playing regular high level football with each other!

23 minutes ago, eastonboy said:

If this could be replicated to England, could this be a "benefit" of brexit? Or does it fall under UEFA jurisdiction?

UEFA only have jurisdiction over European competitions and not our domestic leagues so such a rule would be possible post-Brexit. 

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I'm sure this was a rule in the European Cup for a while going back? Didn't Man Utd often have to drop Keane, Schmeichel, Irwin or Kanchelskis to ensure only three foreigners played?! 

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong! Merlot-addled senses could be to blame!

Yes it was a rule up until the Bosman ruling. 

13 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I'm sure this was a rule in the European Cup for a while going back? Didn't Man Utd often have to drop Keane, Schmeichel, Irwin or Kanchelskis to ensure only three foreigners played?! 

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong! Merlot-addled senses could be to blame!

This was very much the case back in the day. Remember Barca beating Man U one evening with Romario scoring a couple and after Ferguson was blaming it on the amount of changes he had to make.

With regards to the lack of quality mentioned, that would very much be the case and the knock on affect of that being less interest across the world. I do believe this would increase the quality of English players in the long run though.

2 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I know a lot has been made about the silly spending going on over their but they have now put a limit on fielding three overseas players from next season.

Really believe this is something that would benefit our leagues over here but the bosses don't have the balls to do it given the money involved!

Can't legally do that with European players. Against employment law. 

4 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Didn`t one of the PNE fans who commented in the thread about us signing Bailey Wright say that they thought he`d go to China as they classify Australians as home grown?

Australians counted as Asian; previously the Chinese League allowed 5 foreigners in a squad, as long as one of them was from another Asian country.

On 17/01/2017 at 19:51, eastonboy said:

If this could be replicated to England, could this be a "benefit" of brexit? Or does it fall under UEFA jurisdiction?

People only voted for Brexit to remove the immigrants they irrationally don't like, not the footballers they support.

On 17/01/2017 at 20:09, BS4 on Tour... said:

On 17/01/2017 at 20:25, formerly known as ivan said:

This was very much the case back in the day. Remember Barca beating Man U one evening with Romario scoring a couple and after Ferguson was blaming it on the amount of changes he had to make.

With regards to the lack of quality mentioned, that would very much be the case and the knock on affect of that being less interest across the world. I do believe this would increase the quality of English players in the long run though.

There was definitely a game v Galatasary in Istanbul where Fergie chose Cantona over Hughes as one of his overseas (in Hughes case - overbridge!) players and they lost.  Cantona didn't hold the ball up, and they missed Hughes ability to do so.

On 17/01/2017 at 20:25, formerly known as ivan said:

I think that was when he had to drop Schmeichel and play someone else (Gary Walsh?) due to the ruling.

There was a very good article by Jim White in the Telegraph (hotel breakfast room reading), cautioning those players tempted by the stupid money offers. He pointed out that although some of the clubs had changed hands since, a lot of the players that went in the last couple of years have come back because they haven't actually been paid what they were promised. I would certainly want to know how these clubs are financing the offers because. on the face of it. there is nowhere near the income required. 

More players should follow Hart's example tbh...

Italy is a more tactically diverse League, La Liga is probably a higher technical standard. Both though are different to here, different strengths and weaknesses and players could really do with going to some top 6 clubs over there minimum- so you need a paycut, you can always return to England and broaden your game in meantime. I cannot remember who it was but one of the Spain players credited people like Torres, Fabregas, Alonso and others moving to England as helping them in their recent domination of International football (08-12). Bundesliga would also be not a bad League, it's improving all the time.

15 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

This is also a really good shout from their league:

From the start of the new season, in March, they must name two Chinese players aged under 23 in their matchday squads, with at least one in the starting XI.

Is Xi one of the Chinese players they must name?

On 17/01/2017 at 22:37, CotswoldRed said:

Can't legally do that with European players. Against employment law. 

Does not have to be legal.  How about notional? The Spanish fidelity concept sees Spanish club sides fielding "notionally" 60 - 70 % home grown players, and100% occasionally at clubs.

Has not done the national team any harm.either.

Due to the self serving EPL it would not happen here, but shows what can be achieved via having a degree of social principles.

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

More players should follow Hart's example tbh...

Italy is a more tactically diverse League, La Liga is probably a higher technical standard. Both though are different to here, different strengths and weaknesses and players could really do with going to some top 6 clubs over there minimum- so you need a paycut, you can always return to England and broaden your game in meantime. I cannot remember who it was but one of the Spain players credited people like Torres, Fabregas, Alonso and others moving to England as helping them in their recent domination of International football (08-12). Bundesliga would also be not a bad League, it's improving all the time.

Did you see the program on Joe Hart? Big credit to him for moving rather than just sitting on a bench and picking up a pay check like some players may have done. He gets some stick but hes certainly got the right attitude you'd want in a player.

I dont understand why English players dont want to go abroad anyway, the weather's nicer at least! I imagine some of it is money and exposure, players abroad tend to get forgotten about.

On Tue Jan 17 2017 at 20:20, LegalEagle said:

UEFA only have jurisdiction over European competitions and not our domestic leagues so such a rule would be possible post-Brexit. 

Yes it was a rule up until the Bosman ruling. 

Will Bosman still apply post Brexit?

17 minutes ago, zippycar said:

Will Bosman still apply post Brexit?

The ability to get players on free transfers who are running out of contract is covered by FIFA regs on player transfers that were made in response to the Bosman case. That means that really there will be no impact on the ability to get players on Bosman deals if we leave the EU.

However the other part of the Bosman ruling (that you can't impose quotas on the number of EU players in a matchday squad) is simply a matter of EU law so would be easy to change post-Brexit.

Archived