IGNORED

Spurs' new ground (merged)

lenred

4 hours ago, Mr Hankey said:

I know a lot of people like to slag off American sports and the way they do things, but they have it bang on in regards to making sport an actual day out instead of just about what happens on the field. I don't believe there is anything wrong in that aspect creeping in to our sides of the sport, just as long as the prices will be sustainable!

Very true. In America sports clubs are seen as a place of enjoyment that's set up for the fans/members, the clubs are seen as the centre of the social life of the fans, partners and kids, who get involved with  that Club.They spend money because they are having a good time. 

In GB it's the other way around - the fans/members are there to keep the clubs going financially. Totally different approach. In British football the fans are almost seen as the enemy by those "in power". Served up over-priced, sub-standard, processed food and drink that they normally would't look at out side the stadium. Everything they want is seen as a problem.

Look at the difference when Ashton Gate is used as a venue for a big Rock Concert by an outside promoter. I went to the Who concert some years back. The whole emphasis was on giving the audience an amazing time. All those noisy fans shouting and yelling were welcomed as the ones who would help create the atmosphere??

A big game at City is perceived as a massive headache for the "Stadium Manager", all those extra potentially violent sweary fans running amuck. The coppers rubbing their hands with glee at all the overtime, ready to wind the fans up to make a bit of trouble so they can ask for even more overtime the next time.

All very primitive. Wouldn't take much to improve the match day experience week on week. Glad to hear that Spurs fans will be treated like human beings.

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I did that recently in Edinburgh as part of a stag weekend. Place is called The Hanging Bat. We then drank our beer at the wedding. Highly recommended - the venue that is, not the beer we produced!

Serious question Kid. How can it be 'brewed' so quickly? I thought it took time, a whole lot precious time as some Scouser once said....

Wtf not...bloody brilliant idea.

We, as British citizens have been short changed in this country for far too long.

Go to Europe...you walk in a bar, and you sit down and they come to you...table service...and you are treated like a human being.

Here...you roll up...wait for ages at a bar, try to get noticed, put your elbow in spilt beer, and get served by some spotty teenager who doesn't give a shit, and treats you like he's doing you a favour....screw that.

Why not enjoy some cheese and wine before or after a game? It's not posh...it's peasant food, eaten and drunk by peasants and the poor throughout the world. It's only us uneducated Brits that think it's 'posh'.

It's the European 'Ploughman's lunch'.

However...paying 19G plus 30G up front for a couple of seats and restaurant access, with window on to the players tunnel is hilarious.

Talk about watching the animals at the zoo...wtf!

It's funny how we put footballers/sportsman and pop stars on a pedestal these days.

Back in the day, they'd be nothing more than slave Gladiators and Court Jesters...nothing more, nothing less...the 'lowest of the low'. There to 'Entertain us'.

Now they are idolised... and peasant food like cheese and wine and oysters are seen as posh food.

You couldn't make it up....

6 hours ago, lenred said:

Includes a micro brewery, artisan bakery, Michelin star dining and a cheese room. Could you imagine the uproar on this forum if that was the case here!  On a serious note though, it just shows how football at the top end is changing rapidly (for better or worse depending on your point of view) and becoming an all day 'experience' as opposed to just a 90 min visit, and reiterates how bloody lucky we are to have SL's investment in our upgraded Ashton Gate. 

Ashton Gate is all very well,but where is the Extra Mature Cheddar Lounge??

41 minutes ago, spudski said:

Wtf not...bloody brilliant idea.

We, as British citizens have been short changed in this country for far too long.

Go to Europe...you walk in a bar, and you sit down and they come to you...table service...and you are treated like a human being.

Here...you roll up...wait for ages at a bar, try to get noticed, put your elbow in spilt beer, and get served by some spotty teenager who doesn't give a shit, and treats you like he's doing you a favour....screw that.

Why not enjoy some cheese and wine before or after a game? It's not posh...it's peasant food, eaten and drunk by peasants and the poor throughout the world. It's only us uneducated Brits that think it's 'posh'.

It's the European 'Ploughman's lunch'.

However...paying 19G plus 30G up front for a couple of seats and restaurant access, with window on to the players tunnel is hilarious.

Talk about watching the animals at the zoo...wtf!

It's funny how we put footballers/sportsman and pop stars on a pedestal these days.

Back in the day, they'd be nothing more than slave Gladiators and Court Jesters...nothing more, nothing less...the 'lowest of the low'. There to 'Entertain us'.

Now they are idolised... and peasant food like cheese and wine and oysters are seen as posh food.

You couldn't make it up....

Are you NOT ENTERTAINED !

S10200821105938.jpg

Seriously though, I would have loved to see a gladiatorial event in the colosseum - not blood lust or anything, but the spectacle that is described... just wow, I am sure there is nothing nowadays to compare, not even the Olympics.

2 minutes ago, Fiale said:

S10200821105938.jpg

Seriously though, I would have loved to see a gladiatorial event in the colosseum - not blood lust or anything, but the spectacle that is described... just wow, I am sure there is nothing nowadays to compare, not even the Olympics.

Try;Daniel P Mannix. ; "Those about to Die"......interesting read.

18 minutes ago, Fiale said:

S10200821105938.jpg

Bull fighting is the closest you'll get these days.

Tbh...I couldn't think of anything worse. It was just death and destruction.

Man against man. Man against beast. Over 5000 animals were killed in one day, at one event.

People eaten alive by wild animals for entertainment.

Woman tied up and F****d by animals for entertainment...I could go on.

Not something I'd like to witness....and I've watched a bull fight...it was detestable.

No wonder they won't allow the river Tiber to be dredged.

Imagine being a player "Alright son welcome to Spurs. Just FYI; every home game, just when you're trying to focus on the job and gee yourself up, we're gunna let a bunch of fans gawp at youbtgrough a glass window. Just checking that won't put you off or anything. Oh? You're not ok with that intrusion into this crucial moment...well they've paid £9000 each plus a £30K fee so put up or shut up."

Yes it's not too different to cameras or mascots in the tunnel. But still. It's a bit "zoo" isn't it?

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Imagine being a player "Alright son welcome to Spurs. Just FYI; every home game, just when you're trying to focus on the job and gee yourself up, we're gunna let a bunch of fans gawp at youbtgrough a glass window. Just checking that won't put you off or anything. Oh? You're not ok with that intrusion into this crucial moment...well they've paid £9000 each plus a £30K fee so put up or shut up."

Yes it's not too different to cameras or mascots in the tunnel. But still. It's a bit "zoo" isn't it?

To be fair, it is one way glass so it's not going to be putting any players off...

9 hours ago, lenred said:

Includes a micro brewery, artisan bakery, Michelin star dining and a cheese room. Could you imagine the uproar on this forum if that was the case here!  On a serious note though, it just shows how football at the top end is changing rapidly (for better or worse depending on your point of view) and becoming an all day 'experience' as opposed to just a 90 min visit, and reiterates how bloody lucky we are to have SL's investment in our upgraded Ashton Gate. 

Are you saying none of us like beer, freshly baked products and or good food. Or cheese? What a crass assumption about forum users. Personally, I'd love any of those things (whilst ot being able to afford the dining). 

8 hours ago, MarcusX said:

WTF does anyone need a USB port for at a football match :facepalm:

Really? have you not seen how much time kids these days spend on their phones between 3pm and 4:50pm? They'd rate that as ideal. (No jokes about being better off looking at yr phone than the 'action' on the pitch these last few weeks)

17 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

For balance it should be pointed out that Spurs have incorporated a magnificent single-tier kop end in their new stadium designed very much with the more "traditional" supporter in mind. I don't see anything wrong with any of the other stuff as long as the longstanding working class supporters are catered for and can still afford to go.

Yep apparently that single-tier home end will hold 17,000 - great stuff!

Archived