IGNORED

Falling Out Of Love

Welcome To The Jungle

Sorry guys but this is a long one. But I've got some serious demons to get off my chest. This may just be my feeling now and by Saturday I'll re-evaluate but right now this is how I feel. Sorry if I offend anyone, I don't mean to but sometimes when writing it can be hard to explain my thoughts as clearly as I'd like so bear with me. But this will be controversial for many and feel free to call me a **** if you feel I'm being one. Hre goes:

Sometimes it takes a disaster like eight consecutive losses to really hit home how little I have in common with BCFC. As I left the Cardiff game two weeks ago I wondered why on earth I kept coming back? In the past the answer was simple. No matter what happened on the pitch, Bristol City was a huge part of my identity. If I met someone new it was one of the first things I'd tell them about myself, I was proud. The other reason I used to endure the punishment was the atmosphere, or more specifically the East End. But since the demolition of the East End the atmosphere, bar a few exceptions, has been very very poor. Too many times in the last few years you could hear a pin drop. So that just left the football, which is the worst I have experienced since I started following City in 2001. 

I was always cynical about Bristol Sport, not quite trusting it, but like many early cynics we went along with it, with the promise of a new stadium on the horizon. Now looking back I don't feel like I'm at Bristol City anymore. Firstly there is the issue of my seat, in the last few years I've been in the East End, the top of the Williams, one side of the Atyeo, the other side of the Atyeo and even now this does not feel like my seat, not like it did. 

Secondly I loathe that the pitch is covered in Rugby lines. Now I must make it clear that I love Bristol Rugby club and have been a ST holder in the past, as well as following them home and away in both the Premiership and the Championship. However when I look at the pitch, with those horrid green lines on, it feels like someone has been invited into your home and left skid marks down the toilet. Ultimately it isn't a big deal and you'll invite them again, but it takes any kind of shine off the whole place.

I used to love going the the Mem to watch Bristol, leaving the odd City sticker around. It was my second sporting home however I feel Bristol Sport are ruining the Rugby too. Firstly at the Rugby the same problem exists. There are football lines everywhere, which again makes the place look really untidy. The atmosphere at AG for rugby has also been poor (again bar a few exceptions), with the Blackthorn end noise all but gone. But my main gripe is that there is red on the Bristol home kit. Without making my language more colourful I can only describe this as a complete disgrace and is a massive poo on the history of the club. If someone slapped blue on our kits there'd be a riot. 

My final point of this relationship with the Rugby is Ashton Gate itself, which is no longer owned by Bristol City. How did we let this happen. Our home for over 100 years is no longer the property of Bristol City! What's worse is that it is becoming the Bristol Sport stadium more and more. In my opinion this is robbery. Robbed by a man who I find questionable at best.

Steve Lansdown may be a 'decent' for a football owner, but that is hardly the best of company. He seems to often be given the title of Bristol City's saviour, bailing us out every year from the losses he created through years of mismanagement. That's like someone punching you in the face then proving the first aid. I find this whole Bristol Sport experiment as nothing more than an ego trip for a bored rich man, still trying to impress his son with an 'executive toy'. What people often forget is that a football club is not the company, but the fans. If he left and the company 'Bristol City' folded then the club would rise again out of the Ashes. Rangers, Wimbledon, and Hereford are all clubs that have been re-born. And quite frankly I'd rather not be owned by a man who, whilst the Red Cross are intervening in our hospitals, decides that he doesn't need to pay all his tax. Legal or not, actively making an effort to pay less tax (unless you are struggling to get by) is just morally wrong. Lucky the country is so financially stable at the moment.

Finally The atmosphere. What can I say, other than modern football has caught up with Bristol City. Very little noise compared to even 10 years ago, even at the start of the season. Too many in the Atyeo are more concerned with calling corner takers 'bankers' to actually get behind the team. In almost every game this season, the loudest chants (with the exception of post goal delirium) are aimed at the opposition or Bristol Rovers. Arms crossed and silent is common place now. I don't want to tell people how to support, but to come in the Atyeo and make the same noise as a particularly lack luster corpse is baffling to me. Why are you there? 

I do apologise if I've offended anyone and I'd love to be put right as I don't want City to fall out my life. But right now I feel like I'm married to Bristol City where I love her but she doesn't love me back. We are the club (allegedly), but have no say in how it is run. And it is being run into the ground. SL wanted to copy Barcelona. What he forgets is Barcelona is owned by its fans...

4 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Sorry guys but this is a long one. But I've got some serious demons to get off my chest. This may just be my feeling now and by Saturday I'll re-evaluate but right now this is how I feel. Sorry if I offend anyone, I don't mean to but sometimes when writing it can be hard to explain my thoughts as clearly as I'd like so bear with me. But this will be controversial for many and feel free to call me a **** if you feel I'm being one. Hre goes:

Sometimes it takes a disaster like eight consecutive losses to really hit home how little I have in common with BCFC. As I left the Cardiff game two weeks ago I wondered why on earth I kept coming back? In the past the answer was simple. No matter what happened on the pitch, Bristol City was a huge part of my identity. If I met someone new it was one of the first things I'd tell them about myself, I was proud. The other reason I used to endure the punishment was the atmosphere, or more specifically the East End. But since the demolition of the East End the atmosphere, bar a few exceptions, has been very very poor. Too many times in the last few years you could hear a pin drop. So that just left the football, which is the worst I have experienced since I started following City in 2001. 

I was always cynical about Bristol Sport, not quite trusting it, but like many early cynics we went along with it, with the promise of a new stadium on the horizon. Now looking back I don't feel like I'm at Bristol City anymore. Firstly there is the issue of my seat, in the last few years I've been in the East End, the top of the Williams, one side of the Atyeo, the other side of the Atyeo and even now this does not feel like my seat, not like it did. 

Secondly I loathe that the pitch is covered in Rugby lines. Now I must make it clear that I love Bristol Rugby club and have been a ST holder in the past, as well as following them home and away in both the Premiership and the Championship. However when I look at the pitch, with those horrid green lines on, it feels like someone has been invited into your home and left skid marks down the toilet. Ultimately it isn't a big deal and you'll invite them again, but it takes any kind of shine off the whole place.

I used to love going the the Mem to watch Bristol, leaving the odd City sticker around. It was my second sporting home however I feel Bristol Sport are ruining the Rugby too. Firstly at the Rugby the same problem exists. There are football lines everywhere, which again makes the place look really untidy. The atmosphere at AG for rugby has also been poor (again bar a few exceptions), with the Blackthorn end noise all but gone. But my main gripe is that there is red on the Bristol home kit. Without making my language more colourful I can only describe this as a complete disgrace and is a massive poo on the history of the club. If someone slapped blue on our kits there'd be a riot. 

My final point of this relationship with the Rugby is Ashton Gate itself, which is no longer owned by Bristol City. How did we let this happen. Our home for over 100 years is no longer the property of Bristol City! What's worse is that it is becoming the Bristol Sport stadium more and more. In my opinion this is robbery. Robbed by a man who I find questionable at best.

Steve Lansdown may be a 'decent' for a football owner, but that is hardly the best of company. He seems to often be given the title of Bristol City's saviour, bailing us out every year from the losses he created through years of mismanagement. That's like someone punching you in the face then proving the first aid. I find this whole Bristol Sport experiment as nothing more than an ego trip for a bored rich man, still trying to impress his son with an 'executive toy'. What people often forget is that a football club is not the company, but the fans. If he left and the company 'Bristol City' folded then the club would rise again out of the Ashes. Rangers, Wimbledon, and Hereford are all clubs that have been re-born. And quite frankly I'd rather not be owned by a man who, whilst the Red Cross are intervening in our hospitals, decides that he doesn't need to pay all his tax. Legal or not, actively making an effort to pay less tax (unless you are struggling to get by) is just morally wrong. Lucky the country is so financially stable at the moment.

Finally The atmosphere. What can I say, other than modern football has caught up with Bristol City. Very little noise compared to even 10 years ago, even at the start of the season. Too many in the Atyeo are more concerned with calling corner takers 'bankers' to actually get behind the team. In almost every game this season, the loudest chants (with the exception of post goal delirium) are aimed at the opposition or Bristol Rovers. Arms crossed and silent is common place now. I don't want to tell people how to support, but to come in the Atyeo and make the same noise as a particularly lack luster corpse is baffling to me. Why are you there? 

I do apologise if I've offended anyone and I'd love to be put right as I don't want City to fall out my life. But right now I feel like I'm married to Bristol City where I love her but she doesn't love me back. We are the club (allegedly), but have no say in how it is run. And it is being run into the ground. SL wanted to copy Barcelona. What he forgets is Barcelona is owned by its fans...

Spot on

I totally agree regarding atmosphere could not believe city fans at forest Saturday one of our biggest games a chance to help put forest on the back foot from the the start and apart from about 40 fans our support is awful.maybe I'm getting old but it's easy to come on here and be negative but at 3pm on a Saturday all that should be put aside to help the cause.

4 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

These posts always appear when we are struggling but to be honest with you, I agree on a lot of points. I've grown more distant as a fan since my early twenties. I was OBSESSED in my teens, too obsessed and too emotional about City and though I still love the club and always will, I've deliberately distanced myself from it over the past few years. At some point in my life I just thought, I'm too fed up of getting irrationally upset about something I can't control. I still go to games, though not every week, and I still fret over the score every Saturday, but I try and keep a sense of perspective outside of matchday. 

Life is too short, and there are much bigger problems in the world. Having said all that- JOHNSON OUT!

You never really fall out of love, you get so frustrated that you don't want to go anymore but like anything else you are deeply connected too, you'll always go back for more,

This has happened to me 3 times, when pulis was in charge, when we sacked wilson and under SoD,

Each time I vowed not to go back, each time i got a season ticket for more punishment,

why can't a quit you :( ...........

• Admin

I must admit, I used to watch all football, whatever was on the telly, live local games, never miss a home game and travel to many away, now it's more common for me to not go.  I have also fallen out of love, with modern football in general, rather than City.   The corporate invasion, the obscene amount of money in the game, the expectation and frustrations of many, many fans, when their club doesn't achieve promotion or win the league - which I share, but I'm sure in the old days before the internet, we were a happier bunch (football fans in general, not just City) with our lot, still ambitious and wanting success, but not with the social media driven level of hype there is now.

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

You never really fall out of love, you get so frustrated that you don't want to go anymore but like anything else you are deeply connected too, you'll always go back for more,

This has happened to me 3 times, when pulis was in charge, when we sacked wilson and under SoD,

Each time I vowed not to go back, each time i got a season ticket for more punishment,

Spot on mate, it's like toothache or diarrhoea you just want it to stop.

Many of us have felt very down at periods in our checkered history. I understand the frustration and you are not the only one that worries about the wider implications of Bristol Sport on both City & the rugby. When we recently started seeing Badminton being advertised on the side of pitch hoardings, it only raised gallows humour of hoping they weren't affected by the Bristol Sport anti-Midas touch so often seen with BS teams.

I agree that we really could do with a fan representative in the board. In fact as far as Bristol Sport goes there should be someone from us, the rugby & basketball. There are plenty of articulate posters on here who could represent us.

In the meantime, stick with it, and hope for better days...

Just now, Dr Balls said:

Many of us have felt very down in our checkered history. I understand the frustration and you are not the only one that worries about the wider implications on for Bristol Sport on both City & the rugby. When we recently started seeing Badminton being advertised on the side of pitch hoardings, it only raised gallows humour of hoping they weren't affected by the Bristol Sport anti-Midas touch so often seen with BS teams.

I agree that we really could do with a fan representative in the board. In fact as far as Bristol Sport goes there should be someone from us, the rugby & basketball. There are plenty of articulate posters on here who could represent us.

In the meantime, stick with it, and hope for better days...

I don't think Bristol Sport is the problem, we seem to be alot more professional about things since they've been here, better scouting etc,

I think this is solely about the Head coaches at each respective club being out of their depths, Robinson for the Egg Chasing and Johnson here, both have/had been given  time to turn it round but it hasn't worked, the board should be commended for that, but enough is enough now, He's lost the majority of fans back from the looks of it, once thats gone there is no way back,

We could win the next 3 or 4 games but as soon as 2 defeats come it will be worse, he should of fallen on his sword

22 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I don't know where people keep getting this idea from.

Ashton Gate always has, and continues to be, owned by Ashton Gate Limited, who are wholly owned by Bristol City Holdings Limited. 

Don't let facts get in the way of your agenda though, any reason to have a pop at Bristol Sport right?

A passionate post, personally I think it's a very cynical analysis of Landsdown. And I'm my opinion, unfair.

For me, Bristol Sport and the club are putting things in place to progress. Of course when things are going badly, it's very easy to say, it hasn't worked. When things are going well, I.e after the first 10 games this season, criticism was few and far between. It's certainly very easy right now to say is not working. But all change takes time, a lot of time.

One thing is for sure, in my opinion, we probably won't know the impact of what SL is trying to do here for many, many years. Be it for better or worse. 

And the reality is football just isn't what the rose tinted glasses make us think it used to be. It's changed  a huge amount over the last 10/15 years, the debate over if that change is for better or worse goes on and on.

39 minutes ago, RedJim said:

These posts always appear when we are struggling but to be honest with you, I agree on a lot of points. I've grown more distant as a fan since my early twenties. I was OBSESSED in my teens, too obsessed and too emotional about City and though I still love the club and always will, I've deliberately distanced myself from it over the past few years. At some point in my life I just thought, I'm too fed up of getting irrationally upset about something I can't control. I still go to games, though not every week, and I still fret over the score every Saturday, but I try and keep a sense of perspective outside of matchday. 

Life is too short, and there are much bigger problems in the world. Having said all that- JOHNSON OUT!

Exactly this for me too! I don't think it's a particularly bad thing that when you grow older, you develop interests beyond your crap local football team. 

I would still consider myself a big Bristol city fan and I could talk to anyone about pretty much anything to do with us. But it never ruins my week anymore. It just ruins the hour between 5 and 6pm on a Saturday!

I quite simply have other have other things in life to enjoy now. Just enjoy the ride people - we were good a year ago, we are rubbish now, we will probably be decent-ish sometime soon. :yawn:

Edit: Having said that, I do realise that as I live away from Bristol I'm not spending   the hundreds of pounds others are on 'enjoying the ride'.

50 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Sometimes it takes a disaster like eight consecutive losses to really hit home how little I have in common with BCFC

I have a lot of sympathy for some of your points, but speaking personally, the one that surprises me is this overall sentiment of apathy.

To me apathy applies if there are no outcomes which would change things for you - if every outcome seems as miserable as the next.

There have been times in the past where I came close to not caring, perhaps under SO'D when form was more monotonous than poor.  

But here at least it seems to me we have an expensive squad, a big division, investment across the club - and are failing in spite of this.

I can't lose interest when it seems to me that we are just one decision away from being a much brighter team of half decent footballers.

Understand your apathy comes from many different things at the club, but from 8 defeats it should not. Daylight is just around the corner.

What a brilliant OP, bravo WTTJ.

Like you. I feel a tad 'detatched' from the club I love as well. Am I a customer or a supporter?

Maybe the modern game experience is what we now get but give me the old days anytime (I know they're not coming back BTW) when we owned the Gate and actually felt part of something.

It does feel like the stadium thing has gradually crept up on us and this proud club could be (I know it won't happen) homeless on the whim of one man. I find the lack of signage showing 'Bristol City FC' outside quite depressing too as it could be anybodies ground now.

Bah humbug is all I would say. 

1 hour ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

How old are you?

I ask with sincere respect because your view is held by some who were nay sayers regarding the Bristol Sport project at its inception and will not see fifty again. People predicted what you are describing as your reality.

It is not about winning, or losing, or drawing for some of us, it Is about soul.

BCFC has ceased to be a club in its true sense.

The sadness thing for myself is that my kids are disliking what the Bristol City and Bristol, Sport brand and project is. And their reality in their young minds has nothing to do with results, It is that soul again.

We've all thought, "why do I bother".

I remember driving back straight after the Cardiff game - on a day when I had urgent work to do - thinking "well that was a ******* waste of half a day of my life!"

At the end of the day though, it's in the blood, as others have said. A bit like Malaria :blink:

I concur with most written by the OP, but do you think it's unique to Bristol City/Sports or just the way that things are moving forward. Many years ago Roy Keane commented on the 'prawn sandwich' brigade taking over football, well as more and more foreign players invade the league, TV demands on playing time, ST price hikes occur, I think that even the lower leagues will start to see a loss of atmosphere. All seater stadiums and strict stewarding are not helping the atmosphere.

14 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

Exactly this for me too! I don't think it's a particularly bad thing that when you grow older, you develop interests beyond your crap local football team. 

I would still consider myself a big Bristol city fan and I could talk to anyone about pretty much anything to do with us. But it never ruins my week anymore. It just ruins the hour between 5 and 6pm on a Saturday!

I quite simply have other have other things in life to enjoy now. Just enjoy the ride people - we were good a year ago, we are rubbish now, we will probably be decent-ish sometime soon. :yawn:

Edit: Having said that, I do realise that as I live away from Bristol I'm not spending   the hundreds of pounds others are on 'enjoying the ride'.

All my mates know me for being fanatical about Bristol City but I've learnt to shrug the defeats off and laugh about it. I didn't grow up in Bristol so the only close mate I have who cares about City is my Dad, who's a die-hard. I now live in Bedminster and I go when I can afford to but to be honest, I don't pine for it. When we won the title under Cotts I was living in London and only saw 5/6 games that season. It was amazing but I felt detached from it to a degree, because I wasn't there for most of the games, and even now I haven't become any more attached. There will only ever be one club for me but the unconditional love has gone, which makes me both sad and a little relieved in equal measure.

Last season was my favourite so far supporting city, the constant drama made it seriously exciting for almost all of it. The story of Kodjia and the consistent debate around the 352, Flint vs Leeds, Burns vs Boro, Tomlin vs Fulham and more great moments.

Apart from the 4-0 away to Fulham this season has been nowhere near as fun, strange considering we're in a better position than last season with a better squad. I do miss Kodjia mind. 

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

Same here but I never went back regularly after SoD. My season ticket didn't get renewed and even under Cotts my 'love' for the club had gone. 45 years of watching City and I just felt empty. Briefly, under Cotts we rallied, started to play some nice stuff and got promoted, only to be lulled into thinking we had turned the corner. Another false dawn. Not even the excitement of the new stadium connected with me as my connection to the club just seemed to drift further away.

This season I have been once and that was only after I was given a freebie by a friend at the club. Ipswich at home. By half-time I was wondering why I had bothered. Bored and cold I looked around at the same old apathy and comments from the fans and that was at a time when we were still looking at challenging for the play-offs.

I will return but only when the boards ambition off the field matches their choice of manager. I beleive that we can start challenging for promotion again and reach the Premier League one day but to do that we have to have a proven, experienced manager capable of managing correctly. I have nothing against Lee Johnson personally, why would I, but I would never have employed someone who hadn't proved themselves managing at Championship level. Doing ok at Oldham and Barnsley is a huge step down from managing us and until we employ a manager with stature and show some ambition in the next appointment I won't be returning.

Archived