IGNORED

Open Letter to The Players

BobBobSuperBob

Probably a vain hope , but hoping that at least one or more of the players have a look at this forum 

Our Head Coach and owner can only be clear about the issues they have to consider and address but this is what I would like to say to the players,  if I could

The Forum , or open Letter to the Evening Rag is about the only way I can think of doing so

Would be good for others , if interested to add your own messages if you feel so inclined -

(All I can ask is that they are sensible , critical , but  not abusive  as this would IMHO somewhat defeat the object,  if we have any hope of them sitting up and taking any notice at all !)

Open Letter to Players

You are , to a man , privileged to pull on the shirt of Bristol City FC , a club that has been in existence for over 100 years , and a Club that will remain long after you , or I, have long gone.

You are custodians of a shirt that many before you have worn with pride

As professionals I would hope that you all are , at least , somewhere near as frustrated as the supporters are right now , and also feel a dent in your professional pride , or even a tad of shame that you are part of a squad that has broken a club record for consecutive defeats.

Even in the early 1980s when we had a club close to going out of existence , a side cobbled together of players rejected by other clubs, youngsters thrown into the fight, and players recruited from non-league, we never lost eight league games in a row.

The (Vast majority at least) of fans are fed up , yet , on the whole have been extremely patient and supportive of your efforts to date

Your head coach , and even the owner, have been subject of heavy scrutiny and criticism.

As players I'd suggest you have on the whole escaped the criticism that such a period would normally bring.

When the whistle blows you are the only people that can affect what happens and influence our current predicament

Please don't hide behind the obvious , and public criticism of the Head Coach at the present time, , and please don't  be complacent because the heat is on the Head Coach , rather than you players at the present time

At least have enough self pride  that you don't leave a legacy , that you were part of one of the most , if not the most ,embarrassing, and unnecessary relegations in the Clubs long history.

Enough is enough , I personally don't really care anymore whether you like the Head Coach , like the tactics , the formation , the pitch , whether you get on with all your team mates , or anything else

What I would like to see right now , ( as most supporters,  I would suggest ,and hope  ) is for you to put any grievances and disgruntlement in a box , and get hold of your own professional pride and give absolutely everything , in training and on the pitch , from this point on 

I would hope you would be able to do this for your own professional pride , for the supporters who have backed and continue to back you when the whistle goes , and for the owner , who is a decent man and pays you handsomely for your efforts

You as individuals , and as a collective , have far too much ability to be in this situation.

Now is the time not only to show that ability , but also strength of character and humility , to put any issues to one side, and give everything for yourselves , for the non playing staff at the Football Club , for the owner , and for the supporters.

Time to show some self pride and professionalism , Please

If you do that , you will undoubtedly receive the full and obvious vocal support from those who follow you and support you around the country.

The time for any personal issues , or disgruntlement has passed

Time to pull that shirt on , look around the dressing room , look each other in the eye , and vow individually , and collectively as a squad to turn this around , and prove that you are better than the recent months have suggest

If you are not committed to the common cause for the next few months , please speak to the Head Coach or the owner and explain this , and ask not to be considered as part of the common cause that is required.

Your reputations and legacy are very much in your own hands.

Time to come together as a squad , for yourselves if no one else.

Thankyou

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Probably a vain hope , but hoping that at least one or more of the players have a look at this forum 

Our Head Coach and owner can only be clear about the issues they have to consider and address but this is what I would like to say to the players,  if I could

The Forum , or open Letter to the Evening Rag is about the only way I can think of doing so

Would be good for others , if interested to add your own messages if you feel so inclined -

(All I can ask is that they are sensible , critical , but  not abusive  as this would IMHO somewhat defeat the object,  if we have any hope of them sitting up and taking any notice at all !)

Open Letter to Players

You are , to a man , privileged to pull on the shirt of Bristol City FC , a club that has been in existence for over 100 years , and a Club that will remain long after you , or I, have long gone.

As professionals I would hope that you all are , at least , somewhere near as frustrated as the supporters are right now , and also feel a dent in your professional pride , or even a tad of shame that you are part of a squad that has broken a club record for consecutive defeats.

Even in the early 1980s when we had a club close to going out of existence , a side cobbled together of players rejected by other clubs, youngsters thrown into the fight, and players recruited from non-league, we never lost eight league games in a row.

The (Vast majority at least) of fans are fed up , yet , on the whole have been extremely patient and supportive of your efforts to date

Your head coach , and even the owner, have been subject of heavy scrutiny and criticism.

As players I'd suggest you have on the whole escaped the criticism that such a period would normally bring.

When the whistle blows you are the only people that can affect what happens and influence our current predicament

Please don't hide behind the obvious , and public criticism of the Head Coach at the present time, , and please don't  be complacent because the heat is on the Head Coach , rather than you players at the present time

At least have enough self pride  that you don't leave a legacy , that you were part of one of the most , if not the most ,embarrassing, and unnecessary relegations in the Clubs long history.

Enough is enough , I personally don't really care anymore whether you like the Head Coach , like the tactics , the formation , the pitch , whether you get on with all your team mates , or anything else

What I would like to see right now , ( as most supporters,  I would suggest ,and hope  ) is for you to put any grievances and disgruntlement in a box , and get hold of your own professional pride and give absolutely everything , in training and on the pitch , from this point on 

I would hope you would be able to do this for your own professional pride , for the supporters who have backed and continue to back you when the whistle goes , and for the owner , who is a decent man and pays you handsomely for your efforts

You as individuals , and as a collective , have far too much ability to be in this situation.

Now is the time not only to show that ability , but also strength of character and humility , to put any issues to one side, and give everything for yourselves , for the non playing staff at the Football Club , for the owner , and for the supporters.

If you do that , you will undoubtedly receive the full and obvious vocal support from those who follow you and support you around the country.

Time to pull that shirt on , look around the dressing room , look each other in the eye , and vow individually , and collectively as a squad to turn this around , and prove that you are better than the recent months have suggest

If you are not committed to the common cause for the next few months , please speak to the Head Coach or the owner and explain this , and ask not to be considered as part of the common cause that is required.

Thankyou

There's a few big words in there for some of the players which they may struggle with - can you simplify it a bit?

• Admin
16 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

May explain why more than one player recently has a sudden long term injury out of nowhere !

6 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

To be honest I don't think the players are at fault - the problems lie with how the team is set up -square pegs in round holes- bizarre tactics and substitutions.

Things will only improve if everyone knows there role and some kind of continuity is evident.

An open letter to LJ is more appropriate

Mitigation for me

Not a complete excuse or absolvement of blame / culpability 

:thumbsup:

12 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

There's a few big words in there for some of the players which they may struggle with - can you simplify it a bit?

Simplified version. 

Get your heads out your asses and fcuking win! 

You are better than results recently have shown and we all deserve better. 

40 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Open Letter to Players

Thankyou

PS Could you do the above for 90 minutes, instead of 70?

Thanks.

Great approach and letter BBSB.

When thinking about LJ's (or any managers) predicament it's somewhat unusual as a football manager / head coach your future depends on others - and in large part the players. In other walks of life it is perhaps easier as your own endeavours will usually more directly influence your success or failure.

I have no idea what is really going on in the dressing room, although, given our form, confidence will be low and the potential for fall-outs will be high. I am delighted that, thus far, we have not become ill-disciplined on the pitch, as this often happens during a problem period.

Have a strong sense that your letter will be seen by our players.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Open Letter to Players

Thankyou

A waste of time because there aren't any pictures .

1 hour ago, myol'man said:

I hate it when, the week after a manager gets sacked, the same group of players who have been losing week after week suddenly play like their life depends on it and actually win a game :grr:

yes it happens far to often to just be a coincidence.

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Open Letter to Players

Thankyou

Yes exactly! good post! lets hope someone has the courage to read this to the players!

Look, this is a really nicely written letter with some good points, and I praise you for taking the time to write it, but it isn't a letter for the players. It's a letter that as supporters we think if we were playing for Bristol City we'd love to read. It's cathartic for us all to have a read and picture ourselves in the dressing room, ready to run out at Ashton Gate and go to war. It's a lovely daydream for us to have during this small period of struggle.

There is always, at every club, the feeling that when clubs are losing games it's because players have given up, players have bottled it, players are overpaid mercenaries who couldn't care less about the team, about the history, about the supporters. So often in my experience this isn't the case (I've had a fair amount of decent conversations with a number of players over the years).

In reality there are dozens of reasons that can lead to poor form, and the oft-used points above are rarely it (although sometimes they are, of course). Every one of these players has battled harder and forged a mentality to succeed more than we can comprehend to make a career in this game against all odds. However, confidence can be fragile (no matter how much they might earn or how rich you might think they are) and sometimes this game, that they have been playing all their lives, will suddenly seem impossible.

So no, I don't want this read to the players or pinned up in the dressing room. I want a week of intelligent training sessions and analysis, I want great pre-game preparation and work done on continuing to integrate the new signings into the side to improve cohesiveness. I want the players to have enough to fall back on that in those tight moments on the pitch they are emotionless and precise and play the game the way they can without fear. And I want our supporters to back every player and not contribute to a bubble of panic at every small mistake.

But I will still close my eyes now and again and imagine I'm pulling my socks up in the changing room as someone reads out that latter and we run into battle.

1 minute ago, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

Look, this is a really nicely written letter with some good points, and I praise you for taking the time to write it, but it isn't a letter for the players. It's a letter that as supporters we think if we were playing for Bristol City we'd love to read. It's cathartic for us all to have a read and picture ourselves in the dressing room, ready to run out at Ashton Gate and go to war. It's a lovely daydream for us to have during this small period of struggle.

There is always, at every club, the feeling that when clubs are losing games it's because players have given up, players have bottled it, players are overpaid mercenaries who couldn't care less about the team, about the history, about the supporters. So often in my experience this isn't the case (I've had a fair amount of decent conversations with a number of players over the years).

In reality there are dozens of reasons that can lead to poor form, and the oft-used points above are rarely it (although sometimes they are, of course). Every one of these players has battled harder and forged a mentality to succeed more than we can comprehend to make a career in this game against all odds. However, confidence can be fragile (no matter how much they might earn or how rich you might think they are) and sometimes this game, that they have been playing all their lives, will suddenly seem impossible.

So no, I don't want this read to the players or pinned up in the dressing room. I want a week of intelligent training sessions and analysis, I want great pre-game preparation and work done on continuing to integrate the new signings into the side to improve cohesiveness. I want the players to have enough to fall back on that in those tight moments on the pitch they are emotionless and precise and play the game the way they can without fear. And I want our supporters to back every player and not contribute to a bubble of panic at every small mistake.

But I will still close my eyes now and again and imagine I'm pulling my socks up in the changing room as someone reads out that latter and we run into battle.

Fair points BWC

The highlighted selection would be absolutely ideal , and I agree , the best way of turning this around

However unity , at least on the pitch , as a team is vital too

Now I'm not suggesting that open letters will actually bring this (Its only a 'hope' somehow) but I would suggest that collective unity as well as good analysis / preparation etc (As you've rightly highlighted) would be the ideal :thumbsup:

My concern re the analysis, preparation etc is that there is no evidence in recent months that any of what has been done in these areas have been very effective !

Good post, Bob

That's the kind of motivational speech you'd expect to come from the leadership - whether that's SL or LJ - and it's something that's sorely missing under the current set up.   Landsown is a fantastic businessman and no doubt Bristol Sport and his overall sports empire will somehow wash its face and break even in spite of poor results across the range of teams.    But for all the clever business planning and property development,  Bristol City somehow ended up with the worst perfoming team in its history.   

I started watching in the days of Alan DIcks and John Galley and remember watching Man Utd from the brand new Dolman Stand.   In those days the football came first and we needed to build the stands because more and more people wanted to see a winning team.   Lansdown will end up with an empty stadium.    But at the end of the day it's about the 11 men on the pitch and their courage and will to win.    These guys get paid thousands of pounds a week - they should have some pride in what they do.   

The club desperately needs leadership - that does not come from a businessman living in exile in a tax haven who after years in charge has ended up with a voiceless puppet chairman, his own son, a low level bureaucrat and a trainee head coach running the show. 

Come on Lansdown - get someone in to take the whole club by the scruff of the neck.

Great points Bob.

Motivation comes from within, positive external influences assist.

However when results aren't going well it can be difficult to remain totally confident, especially if you doubt the postional set-up and strategy. So its important to have the right Coach saying the right things. 

There are local football managers who could motivate this team, I know, I've met a few (shame some dont go for the badges). So LJ pull your finger out, you are in a privileged position, be man enough to ask for help if you need it and get weaving!!

Archived