IGNORED

Reclaim the East End - PETITION

phantom

17 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Standing is not a dangerous activity. Too many people is dangerous. Get the ticketing right, the correct entrances and exits, and there isn't a problem to fix.

Its a convenient stick to beat football fans with and it needs to disappear to bring atmospheres back. 

Hillsborough was tragic, but if there had been seats then it would have been even worse. 

Too many people allowed in to pens and fencing pitch side was the cause (of injury, I'm not reapportioning blame), not whether they were stood or sat. 

The only terrace I have been on personally was Yeovil away in 2005- seemed pretty full but nothing like the capacity of terraces as old so I can't really comment.

I think a real problem in the old days was squeeze them all in attitude. Would be different now with more safety conscious crowd control. The authorities would not want terracing back for the simple reason they deem it makes fans hard to control. 

I dunno about that, seems hard to say either way really. With all seater there would have been less fans in that end, less fans=more space.

The pens were a huge problem, fences too- but the old terraces of the 60's, 70s pre pens didn't exactly look fully safe either. I agree that standing isn't intrinsically unsafe, evidence shows this.

Fact is though the best we are going to get is safe standing- and not even the German version where someone in thread said it was 2:1 standing/seats ratio but simply 1:1. Best we will get.

Why can't we just go to the top of the SS, it's hardly too high up and we wouldn't have to worry about people sat behind us. Take the Atyeo allocation to start with, get us all in to one corner, don't sell any of the seats that are near it, if it sells out then let unsold seats that are close be added to it. If it doesn't sell out by a set date then put them on sale to people that don't specifically want to stand. All sorted, thank me later SL.

On 24/01/2017 at 21:21, phantom said:

I have just seen the following petition online. OK not everyone will want this, so rather than turn this thread into a debate about the pros and cons, please just use the link if YOU WANT to sign the petition....

Will it make a difference?

Who knows, but we know that the club listened to get it reopened a few years back, and I'm sure everyone will agree every effort should be made to improve the atmosphere at Ashton Gate! 

https://www.petitions24.com/reclaim_the_east_end

Reclaim The East End

The purpose of this petition is to ask the board of Bristol City FC to consider allocating section S22 of the South Stand as a singing section to promote a better atmosphere at Ashton Gate. Since the redevelopment of Ashton Gate the match day atmosphere has diminshed considerably even with an increase in the average match day attendance. There are many pockets of fans around the stadium that would prefer to be with like minded fans and join in one designated area. We are constantly being asked to get behind the team but this is hampered by over zealous stewarding and the scattering of fans who want to generate an atmosphere. The fans can be the 12th player and should be as intimidating to visiting teams as possible. The likes of Crystal Palace, Wolves and West Brom have amazing home ends and we want our chance to be able to match them. Bring back the atmosphere and reclaim the East End CTID

Might be a good idea, although we were doing a pretty good job of making a racket in the Dolman recently!

16 minutes ago, Matty Taylor [BCFC] said:

Why can't we just go to the top of the SS, it's hardly too high up and we wouldn't have to worry about people sat behind us. Take the Atyeo allocation to start with, get us all in to one corner, don't sell any of the seats that are near it, if it sells out then let unsold seats that are close be added to it. If it doesn't sell out by a set date then put them on sale to people that don't specifically want to stand. All sorted, thank me later SL.

Pretty sure others have stated it on this forum but Safety Advisory Group would not permit it due to the rake/gradient/whatever.

Not to say I agree with it- hell you can see people standing at the top of the South Stand each home game and it doesn't affect them- but doubtless it is the excuse they would use.

On 24/01/2017 at 21:31, CotswoldRed said:

Kind of agree. Unreserved standing/seating is the only answer. 

Unfortunately, this presents so many safety issues that you are unlikely to return home alive so it's unlikely to be sanctioned. 

I've never used derstood the safety issues. Everyone has a ticket. 

29 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Pretty sure others have stated it on this forum but Safety Advisory Group would not permit it due to the rake/gradient/whatever.

Not to say I agree with it- hell you can see people standing at the top of the South Stand each home game and it doesn't affect them- but doubtless it is the excuse they would use.

Just call it the singing section, leak out to OTIB etc that it'll be standing, make sure everyone knows it's standing then you'll get minor complaints.

Just now, Matty Taylor [BCFC] said:

Just call it the singing section, leak out to OTIB etc that it'll be standing, make sure everyone knows it's standing then you'll get minor complaints.

Oh yeah that would work obviously. Sure everyone would know implicit that singing section means liberal attitude to standing etc. Thought that was a given these days.

On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 11:41, Red-Robbo said:

I'm not acoustic engineer, but isn't the loudest sounding section of the ground going to be the one with the lowest roof - and that's not the South Stand.

Can't we install some effing great WiFi speakers on top of Shedmans shed and transmit via microphone's in the SS ? :chant6ez::chant6ez::chant6ez::chant6ez:

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Oh yeah that would work obviously. Sure everyone would know implicit that singing section means liberal attitude to standing etc. Thought that was a given these days.

Just word it in a way that people expect others to stand, I think it's Leicester that do it. They were taken to court about it but it was thrown out as they didn't legally do anything wrong.

On 24 January 2017 at 21:27, Spoons said:

Singing sections don't work. I follow England and wembley is a prime example of how singing sections don't work.

In an ideal world rail seating would generate the best atmosphere. Singing sections only create a them and us atmosphere also creates tension as often the singing sections get the cheapest seats, so often tickets are bought there not because they want to sing but because they are cheap. 

It works in the atyeo

@DollymarieIs this really being given serious consideration by the club?

I am in S22 and I'm not moving.  I sing now, and I'll happily sing my heart out if a singing section wants to move in around me.  I sorted seats for myself and 8 mates to sit together in the SS and it was a effing pain in the backside to get it done with new ticketing system.

Don't think the fans currently sat in the Atyeo should shift those already there.  If these fans just bought seats like everyone else at the time the SS was opened, then scattered around the stand maybe they would have got the whole SS singing.  Setting themselves apart and wanting special treatment is divisive to say the least.  The Atyeo was only ever going to be a temporary home so they should have played the long game and bought tickets where they wanted to be. 

Nothing's been set in stone yet but it was discussed yes. I'm not sure that anyone would be "forced" to move but if the area does become unreserved then I guess those who have a dedicated seat now might not have that. Also some people would want to move because of the more "colourful" language they might hear. 

40 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Nothing's been set in stone yet but it was discussed yes. I'm not sure that anyone would be "forced" to move but if the area does become unreserved then I guess those who have a dedicated seat now might not have that. Also some people would want to move because of the more "colourful" language they might hear. 

Thanks for the reply.  I have kids, the oldest of which has Down Syndrome so need to be with him especially.  I want to keep my seats too.  I can't guarantee getting to the game early enough to bag seats together so it's effectively pushing me out if this goes ahead.  Not having it. These fans have no special rights above any other fans.  

If it was a old school stand where you could muscle in together and stand with who you wanted then fine.  Doesn't work with seats.  

Why not shift them to the SL's seats in the directors box, or better still extend the subs bench and put them there if the club want to pander to them? 

The area talked about is the current family area then, any idea if there is a plan to move the family area? 

Although the area isn't full, it's allowed me to bring my 6 year old for the last 2 seasons. I previously spent my time as a nomad with the others from the EastEnd/ Williams. I'm all for a unreserved area, it adds the old school to the new school.

I may have to relocate due to the adult nature of that area, but it's worth giving an area to this and a more permanent area is I'm sure most overdue.

1 hour ago, Red Army Faction said:

I am in S22 and I'm not moving.  I sing now, and I'll happily sing my heart out if a singing section wants to move in around me.  I sorted seats for myself and 8 mates to sit together in the SS and it was a effing pain in the backside to get it done with new ticketing system.

Don't think the fans currently sat in the Atyeo should shift those already there.  If these fans just bought seats like everyone else at the time the SS was opened, then scattered around the stand maybe they would have got the whole SS singing.  Setting themselves apart and wanting special treatment is divisive to say the least.  The Atyeo was only ever going to be a temporary home so they should have played the long game and bought tickets where they wanted to be. 

With respect, the east end lot have been there for years and years, if anyone has the 'right' to that area then it's them, new stand or not.

34 minutes ago, Matty Taylor [BCFC] said:

With respect, the east end lot have been there for years and years, if anyone has the 'right' to that area then it's them, new stand or not.

With respect, you had every opportunity to buy tickets in the new South Stand, but you decided on the Atyeo instead. There is no more East End, get over it!

6 minutes ago, asfred said:

With respect, you had every opportunity to buy tickets in the new South Stand, but you decided on the Atyeo instead. There is no more East End, get over it!

Not me, I've always been in the Atyeo. Get over it, haha, next time you have something you've dedicated years too and have ties too don't complain just get over it.

37 minutes ago, Matty Taylor [BCFC] said:

Not me, I've always been in the Atyeo. Get over it, haha, next time you have something you've dedicated years too and have ties too don't complain just get over it.

All those dedicated years and ties were knocked down 3 years ago. The south stand is now completely different to what it used to be. 

30 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

All those dedicated years and ties were knocked down 3 years ago. The south stand is now completely different to what it used to be. 

It's besides the point though, they were forced to move if they wanted to stay together, so they moved.

3 hours ago, Red Army Faction said:

Those fans in the Atyeo have been moved around more than ANYONE else. Always to the worst parts of the ground. It's hardly 'wanting special treatment' it's the club actually fixing the issue. At present we miss out on revenue due to the Atyeo arrangement and there's extra logistical issues and policing costs. It makes commercial sense to move the Atyeo group.

More pressingly for me is that the Atyeo group or the EastEnd before them are really important. Without these groups, the atmosphere would be dreadful. It's been slightly better this season but it's still nowhere near as good as other grounds. Put this group somewhere they can grow, have freedom and maximise the area. The club has provided really well for almost everyone; there's ample good view seats for people that want to sit quietly and watch, there's family areas, great disabled areas.. the only thing missing is a great solution for those that go to the games to stand, sing and make an atmosphere.

I don't think this is the Atyeo group pushing for a solution, I don't think they make many demands really - in my opinion though they deserve a proper home and if that means shifting some people about to make it happen (as they've been shifted about LOADS themselves) so be it.

Everyone has had to suffer a bit of inconvenience with the redevelopment but that group more than anyone. It's the clubs own doing by not providing adequately for them in the first place.

19 hours ago, Matty Taylor [BCFC] said:

Yes mate.  I used to be the East End before getting turfed out to the Atyeo.  How many years must I have been in the East End to have qualified as a Superfan?

What about the Superfans that have only ever been in the Atyeo?  Surely, I count more than them?

See what kind of nonsense this is?  We are all fans.  We are all equal.  No one has the right to say they deserve any better treatment than anyone else.

11 minutes ago, Red Army Faction said:

Yes mate.  I used to be the East End before getting turfed out to the Atyeo.  How many years must I have been in the East End to have qualified as a Superfan?

What about the Superfans that have only ever been in the Atyeo?  Surely, I count more than them?

See what kind of nonsense this is?  We are all fans.  We are all equal.  No one has the right to say they deserve any better treatment than anyone else.

Exactly! I could argue that my seat in the SS is directly above where I used to stand in the EE in the seventies. Does that make me entitled to it?

13 minutes ago, Red Army Faction said:

So why are you demanding you aren't moving? Everyone's being moved here there and everywhere so why should you not have to move because you've sat somewhere for a few years?

19 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's hardly 'wanting special treatment' it's the club actually fixing the issue. At present we miss out on revenue due to the Atyeo arrangement and there's extra logistical issues and policing costs. It makes commercial sense to move the Atyeo group.

It is special treatment.  Someone thinks they are more deserving to sit in my seat than me.

Personally, I sing and support (yes support) the team every game.  Anyone that sits at the back of S22 will hear my son with Downs getting the whole SS  singing by his own efforts in many a game.  No one deserves his seat more than him.  

3 minutes ago, Red Army Faction said:

It is special treatment.  Someone thinks they are more deserving to sit in my seat than me.

Personally, I sing and support (yes support) the team every game.  Anyone that sits at the back of S22 will hear my son with Downs getting the whole SS  singing by his own efforts in many a game.  No one deserves his seat more than him.  

Is that your lad? I wondered who it was always trying to get things going over there (I`m in S21). Fair play to him.

5 minutes ago, Matty Taylor [BCFC] said:

So why are you demanding you aren't moving? Everyone's being moved here there and everywhere so why should you not have to move because you've sat somewhere for a few years?

I moved when I had to.  I chose to move to a stand that was redeveloped precisely so I wouldn't have to move again.  

Those in the Atyeo chose to stay in a stand that was either going to be away only at some stage, or was going to be redeveloped at some point.

If they wanted to come back to East End then they should have done so when the had the chance, when the SS was built. As said before, sprinkled around the SS they may have got the whole SS rocking rather than setting themselves apart. 

Archived