IGNORED

Reclaim the East End - PETITION

phantom

• Admin

I have just seen the following petition online. OK not everyone will want this, so rather than turn this thread into a debate about the pros and cons, please just use the link if YOU WANT to sign the petition....

Will it make a difference?

Who knows, but we know that the club listened to get it reopened a few years back, and I'm sure everyone will agree every effort should be made to improve the atmosphere at Ashton Gate! 

https://www.petitions24.com/reclaim_the_east_end

Reclaim The East End

The purpose of this petition is to ask the board of Bristol City FC to consider allocating section S22 of the South Stand as a singing section to promote a better atmosphere at Ashton Gate. Since the redevelopment of Ashton Gate the match day atmosphere has diminshed considerably even with an increase in the average match day attendance. There are many pockets of fans around the stadium that would prefer to be with like minded fans and join in one designated area. We are constantly being asked to get behind the team but this is hampered by over zealous stewarding and the scattering of fans who want to generate an atmosphere. The fans can be the 12th player and should be as intimidating to visiting teams as possible. The likes of Crystal Palace, Wolves and West Brom have amazing home ends and we want our chance to be able to match them. Bring back the atmosphere and reclaim the East End CTID

Singing sections don't work. I follow England and wembley is a prime example of how singing sections don't work.

In an ideal world rail seating would generate the best atmosphere. Singing sections only create a them and us atmosphere also creates tension as often the singing sections get the cheapest seats, so often tickets are bought there not because they want to sing but because they are cheap. 

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Singing sections don't work. I follow England and wembley is a prime example of how singing sections don't work

Very true and agree about Wembley, but would imagine it would be better having same people in the area each week 

2 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Singing sections don't work. I follow England and wembley is a prime example of how singing sections don't work.

In an ideal world rail seating would generate the best atmosphere. Singing sections only create a them and us atmosphere also creates tension as often the singing sections get the cheapest seats, so often tickets are bought there not because they want to sing but because they are cheap. 

Kind of agree. Unreserved standing/seating is the only answer. 

Unfortunately, this presents so many safety issues that you are unlikely to return home alive so it's unlikely to be sanctioned. 

Here we go again - so you all stand up and wave the bloody great flags in S22 and that means almost everyone in S20, S21, S23 and S24 have to stand to see play in the opposite corners at that end.

Stand up in the corner blocks where the Family blocks are between South and Dolman if you must and from there if you are as noisy and sing as much as you say you do, you may be able to raise some noise from the rest of theSouth and the Dolman.

It's a library everywhere at present because what is on the pitch is such crap. And if that continues to the inevitable relegation, you can have the whole bloody South Stand for yourselves because so many of us are just plain sick of it.

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Be annoyed if this happens on a personal level! Really enjoy where I sit and personally I don't want to stand for 90 minutes, neither should I be forced to (or forced to move) by people who don't respect others wishes. 

You're safe in S22 ;) 

38 minutes ago, phantom said:

I have just seen the following petition online. OK not everyone will want this, so rather than turn this thread into a debate about the pros and cons, please just use the link if YOU WANT to sign the petition....

Will it make a difference?

Who knows, but we know that the club listened to get it reopened a few years back, and I'm sure everyone will agree every effort should be made to improve the atmosphere at Ashton Gate! 

https://www.petitions24.com/reclaim_the_east_end

Reclaim The East End

The purpose of this petition is to ask the board of Bristol City FC to consider allocating section S22 of the South Stand as a singing section to promote a better atmosphere at Ashton Gate. Since the redevelopment of Ashton Gate the match day atmosphere has diminshed considerably even with an increase in the average match day attendance. There are many pockets of fans around the stadium that would prefer to be with like minded fans and join in one designated area. We are constantly being asked to get behind the team but this is hampered by over zealous stewarding and the scattering of fans who want to generate an atmosphere. The fans can be the 12th player and should be as intimidating to visiting teams as possible. The likes of Crystal Palace, Wolves and West Brom have amazing home ends and we want our chance to be able to match them. Bring back the atmosphere and reclaim the East End CTID

My geography isn't great, is section 22 in the Eastend of the south stand?

• Admin
25 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Probably not gonna need any kind of petition if recent discussions are productive with the football club. Just saying :) 

One thing this thread already shows and the fact this petition has been set up is there is a clear need for greater communication very soon.

Not only does it highlight people need to be spoken to offer an area  but also someone somewhere will be affected by this move into an area they currently sit

15 minutes ago, reddoh said:

I think we need to work out if it is really East or south or south east or east south no point getting our dicks out until we know what we are doing!

Just had a look on Google Earth. If you stand on the centre circle and look at the middle of the south stand. To look south by compass you need to turn and look about one and a half blocks to the right of the centre line of the south stand. The North / South line runs slightly left to right through the South stand, across the middle of the pitch and through the Atyeo. So it's as near enough south as makes no odds.

1 minute ago, Midlands Robin said:

Just had a look on Google Earth. If you stand on the centre circle and look at the middle of the south stand. To look south by compass you need to turn and look about one and a half blocks to the right of the centre line of the south stand. The North / South line runs slightly left to right through the South stand, across the middle of the pitch and through the Atyeo. So it's as near enough south as makes no odds.

you have more time than me and I thought I had the rest of my life? not that my wife says so

I currently sit in the SS S21 and we have some chants going every now and then.  Although it is hard to say recently down to our form but at times hear  us start chants the echo around the stadium after.   I would say the acoustics sound better than where the singers  currently sit having previously sat as a season ticket holder where they sit.  

I welcome the singers to the stand and would love if we could get the stand rocking to say even a quarter of sound of the palace semi final play off leg.  I do wonder if the singers will be quieter if the away fans aren't noisy enough to hear from the SS though?  

Archived