IGNORED

Luke Ayling

ColneRed

15 minutes ago, ColneRed said:

Sorry if this has been covered before but just interested to know what the story behind Ayling's departure to Leeds was. He's obviously doing well and enjoying life at the other end of the table! 

We didn't expect Matthews to come back 1/5th of the player he was last season, out of any of the 'mistakes' this season then that's one that I don't blame LJ for.

I'm sure there is a bigger picture of the whole thing but LJ said the same helped us in regards to FFP and said it may have helped get other business done. Basically, the way I'm interpreting it is, Ayling had a year left on his contract just like our other back up RB(Little both back up to Matthews). We received a better offer for Ayling than we would've Little. Maybe Ayling on higher wages as well? Think it mostly came down to fee though for a player we thought would be second choice. Hasn't worked out that way and he's upped his game under Garry Monk. Maybe Cheltenham played a part. Maybe he didn't want to resign with us. Idk all of the detail but I imagine it was mostly financial benefits for a player with a year left on his deal. 

26 minutes ago, Red_Wizard said:

I do wonder if the Cheltenham antics were part of the reason for him leaving. 

I think this could have been a major factor. 

Im in amongst a lot of Yeovil fans where I live, and I've heard he wasn't the most mature of characters whilst at Huish Park, and although he wasn't the main culprit, they weren't surprised at all to hear he was involved in that Cheltenham incident. 

I know Matthews was likely to be first choice RB, but with Taylor Moore not ready, and Ekstrand a gamble on his sick note history, Ayling was the only one who could play in a back 3, or even fill in at centre half. Certainly a better option than Matthews regarding the Reading home game. I'd have thought LJ would've wanted to keep hold of him. 

Half decent money came in, and it was done and dusted very quickly, so maybe an ulterior motive behind it. 

4 minutes ago, MartockRed said:

I think this could have been a major factor. 

Im in amongst a lot of Yeovil fans where I live, and I've heard he wasn't the most mature of characters whilst at Huish Park, and although he wasn't the main culprit, they weren't surprised at all to hear he was involved in that Cheltenham incident. 

I know Matthews was likely to be first choice RB, but with Taylor Moore not ready, and Ekstrand a gamble on his sick note history, Ayling was the only one who could play in a back 3, or even fill in at centre half. Certainly a better option than Matthews regarding the Reading home game. I'd have thought LJ would've wanted to keep hold of him. 

Half decent money came in, and it was done and dusted very quickly, so maybe an ulterior motive behind it. 

He was a dead man walking the moment it all came out.

Not so much LJ's decision.....came from the very top!

We have for many years had a rank amateur history of letting players run down their contract and leave for free, or offload them for peanuts in a fire sale in the preceding January. 

Just recently we have managed to raise fees for players still in contract.

Why do we have to suspect foul play and hidden motive? Could it just be business? Other clubs sell players all the time. Have they each been doing the chairman's daughter?

9 minutes ago, BigTone said:

It was a blunder of major proportions to let him go regardless of his indiscretions at Cheltenham. Lets face it we stood up for Orr, Brooker & Partridge for what they did

Not Partridge we didn't, we quietly moved him out of the exit door, he never played for us post prison.

43 minutes ago, BigTone said:

It was a blunder of major proportions to let him go regardless of his indiscretions at Cheltenham. Lets face it we stood up for Orr, Brooker & Partridge for what they did

I suspect if he'd been viewed as a key player then the Cheltenham incident wouldn't have come into the equation. 

48 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I'd hate to think how social media would've reacted back then

2 hours ago, Griffin said:

We didn't expect Matthews to come back 1/5th of the player he was last season, out of any of the 'mistakes' this season then that's one that I don't blame LJ for.

I did, he was crap last season. He's not even came back 1/5th of the player, he's been exactly the same. It's only because we were doing well last season and because of the "feel good" factor that there was a false perception he was amazing. It could've been Nicky Hunt on loan and our fans would've waxed lyrical over him..

3 hours ago, BigTone said:

Indeed.... and as a team we've been seriously 'ailing' pretty much ever since.

We've been virtually comatose for long enough, its time for us to get up off the sickbed now and recover pretty damn quick.

3 hours ago, deadredfred said:

Agreed. Solid ball playing right back. Many complained about his defensive qualities but he would absolutely walk into our side now.

Per the "stats" (and I'm not sure I believe the ones that say we create the 3rd most chances in the Championship), Luke Ayling is the second best tackler in the whole division:

Screen Shot 2017-01-27 at 00.53.44.png

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

Nobody thought he was good enough at right back.  Good to hear people have changed their minds with hindsight 

He wasn't good enough if we were  seriously pushing for the Prem. but we replaced him with worse.  No hindsight here, just cold hard reality.

6 hours ago, Olé said:

Per the "stats" (and I'm not sure I believe the ones that say we create the 3rd most chances in the Championship), Luke Ayling is the second best tackler in the whole division:

Screen Shot 2017-01-27 at 00.53.44.png

I see another ex City There to .

It's actually good that we sell players ' intelligently ' . No one gets it right everytime and who's to say they would be performing equally as well with us ? 

9 hours ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

I did, he was crap last season. He's not even came back 1/5th of the player, he's been exactly the same. It's only because we were doing well last season and because of the "feel good" factor that there was a false perception he was amazing. It could've been Nicky Hunt on loan and our fans would've waxed lyrical over him..

Spot on, never been overly impressed by Matthews in a City shirt. A player who flatters to deceive if ever I saw one. 

One of those decisions that looks terrible in hindsight but made sense at the time.

If money had been offered for Mark Little then he'd have gone instead but nobody offered that. Instead good money was offered for a player who wasn't seen as likely to be first choice and pretty much any club in the world would have to at least consider selling in that position.

I do agree that Matthews wasn't that good last season in the games that I saw, but Johnson must have believed that he has more to offer and that he could get him to produce it. That's not proved to be the case but football managers have to have to confidence that they can make players perform or there's no point in doing the job. If he fails at it on a consistent basis then he's unlikely to be a successful manager.

Archived