IGNORED

How fortunate are we?

Robbored

Was listening to Jim White on Talk Sport earlier and he had an interview with Carl Oysten, owner of Blackpool.

Most of us know that plenty of Blackpool fans want the Oystens gone and are holding a number of protests one of which is to boycott games.

Oysten said that he'd never sell Blackpool FC amongst other things including him minimising the effect that these protests have and claiming the protesters were "a small number".

The subsequence was irate Blackpool fans having their say on the phone in.

Now Im not particularly interested in the shenanigans at Blackpool FC but it did remind me of just how fortunate we are as a football club to have an owner who is not only a local man but 100% committed to Bristol City. 

My Mother ,many years before she died I asked her why she did not support a team , she said  she doesn't like football, so when I asked which team would you support if you did , she frowned at me and said Blackpool as that's where I was born

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

Was listening to Jim White on Talk Sport earlier and he had an interview with Carl Oysten, owner of Blackpool.

Most of us know that plenty of Blackpool fans want the Oystens gone and are holding a number of protests one of which is to boycott games.

Oysten said that he'd never sell Blackpool FC amongst other things including him minimising the effect that these protests have and claiming the protesters were "a small number".

The subsequence was irate Blackpool fans having their say on the phone in.

Now Im not particularly interested in the shenanigans at Blackpool FC but it did remind me of just how fortunate we are as a football club to have an owner who is not only a local man but 100% committed to Bristol City. 

Carl Oyston could have helped to keep Blackpool in the Premier League, if only he'd signed a decent keeper back in January 2011, but passed up the chance to take Shay Given on loan from Villa, because it meant breaking the Tangerines' weekly wage ceiling of  £10,000.

That was also the reason for Jon Stead preferring Ashton Gate to Bloomfield Road, earlier in the same campaign.

In short, Oyston is a tight arse, who trousered most of his club's income from their Premier League adventure and failed to invest in an awful playing surface and team strengthening.

Blackpool's current status is testament to that.

A criminal waste.

And his dad is an actual criminal.

How fortunate are we? 

Fortunate when we decide to only compare ourselves to the clubs that are run by crooks and dodgy foreigners.

But not when we compare ourselves to Burnley, Swansea, Bournemouth, Brighton, Palace, Reading and Boro. Then this lazy "thank goodness our owner is a true fan but sadly has a pretty abysmal record when it comes to picking our managers" stuff becomes a bit of an inconvenient truth.

Southampton, West Brom and Leicester too, reckon they would want to swap places with us?

Course not, but let's keep mentioning Blackpool all the time because every other club is just like them, eh?

Final point, Hull may have notorious owners but I would not be all that gobsmacked following their recent managerial change if they actually stayed up now.

Along with Leeds doing so well this season that would totally bugger up the narrative, wouldn't it?

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

How fortunate are we? 

Fortunate when we decide to only compare ourselves to the clubs that are run by crooks and dodgy foreigners.

But not when we compare ourselves to Burnley, Swansea, Bournemouth, Brighton, Palace, Reading and Boro. Then this lazy "thank goodness our owner is a true fan but sadly has a pretty abysmal record when it comes to picking our managers" stuff becomes a bit of an inconvenient truth.

Southampton, West Brom and Leicester too, reckon they would want to swap places with us?

Course not, but let's keep mentioning Blackpool all the time because every other club is just like them, eh?

Final point, Hull may have notorious owners but I would not be all that gobsmacked following their recent managerial change if they actually stayed up now.

Along with Leeds doing so well this season that would totally bugger up the narrative, wouldn't it?

Re para 3 - Do you think it is hugely down to the manager, then?

21 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

How fortunate are we? 

I must of been the only football fan who didn't want Leicester to win the prem last season. Just for the simple fact of i was probably jealous how a club who i believe have very similar stature to ours in terms of stadium,money and fan base/city size can not only get to the prem but actually win it. Makes me annoyed that we ain't even close to getting to the prem.

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Re para 3 - Do you think it is hugely down to the manager, then?

Manager/Head Coach is the most important role at any football club at this level.

That said, for true success over a period of time it takes a perfect storm of a good manager, a great squad of players, an understanding and supportive owner and great back team staff. Oh, and usually a fair bit of luck.

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Manager/Head Coach is the most important role at any football club at this level.

That said, for true success over a period of time it takes a perfect storm of a good manager, a great squad of players, an understanding and supportive owner and great back team staff. Oh, and usually a fair bit of luck.

Nice one :clap:

The problem is a much wider and deeper one, namely, the way football is run in Britain, with owners, good, bad or indifferent, treating the clubs like personal fiefdoms.

I don't like it and feel it is a terribly dated model although I accept that not much is likely to change anytime soon. But there is always hope

54 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

How fortunate are we? 

It seems the point of this thread was missed by some. Either that or I wasn't explanatory enough.

We see plenty of other clubs fans being unhappy with their clubs owners. Currently we have Coventry, Blackpool and Blackburn to name just three. It could also be argued that Swansea fans aren't happy with their American owners either.

In my view we are fortunate not to have such angst aimed at our clubs owner. 

I agree that SL has a poor record of appointing managers, but so do plenty of other clubs owners. Watford and Leeds to name just two.

Archived