IGNORED

Where did it all go wrong?

DANWRENBCFC4LIFE

2 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Kodjia was replaced by Tammy, whom if you look at the goal scoring charts is a better striker

Tammy wasn't Kodjia's replacement, we were doing well with both in the team and that could have continued. Instead we sold without a replacement and have had to solely rely on Abraham scoring tap-ins in our attempts going forward. Kodjia's movement and pace has been sorely missed and, apart from 2/3 games after he left where we still had a bit of momentum from our good start, we've been found wanting and our inability to replace our best player has come back to bite us.

1 minute ago, JHAGa said:

Tammy wasn't Kodjia's replacement, we were doing well with both in the team and that could have continued. Instead we sold without a replacement and have had to solely rely on Abraham scoring tap-ins in our attempts going forward. Kodjia's movement and pace has been sorely missed and, apart from 2/3 games after he left where we still had a bit of momentum from our good start, we've been found wanting and our inability to replace our best player has come back to bite us.

If wed have kept Kodjia we wouldn't have had half the player we had last season. He obviously wanted to leave, as shown by his abject performance v Wigan and him refusing to play v Scunthorpe. Tammy is a much better striker and goal scorer and so Kodjia isn't missed at all in my opinion

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

If wed have kept Kodjia we wouldn't have had half the player we had last season. He obviously wanted to leave, as shown by his abject performance v Wigan and him refusing to play v Scunthorpe. Tammy is a much better striker and goal scorer and so Kodjia isn't missed at all in my opinion

We shouldn't have sold unless we had a replacement, it's as simple as that. Come back to cost us in the end. Tammy is a good striker but he doesn't stretch defences like Kodjia does. We have no pace in our squad. We are painfully predictable and also poor at defending - a very poor combination.

Suarez wanted to leave Liverpool, Costa wanted to leave Chelsea. You don't sell important players with days left in the window unless you have an adequate replacement lined up.

The announcement of an extention of Johnson's contract certainly got people asking why and planting seeds of doubt in the wisdom of it. This seemed to invite pressure and anything and everything has been magnified since

1 minute ago, JHAGa said:

We shouldn't have sold unless we had a replacement, it's as simple as that. Come back to cost us in the end. Tammy is a good striker but he doesn't stretch defences like Kodjia does. We have no pace in our squad. We are painfully predictable and also poor at defending - a very poor combination.

Suarez wanted to leave Liverpool, Costa wanted to leave Chelsea. You don't sell important players with days left in the window unless you have an adequate replacement lined up.

We need wide players not strikers, we have a top target man in Duric who isn't being used due to the lack of width and lack of crossing ability. There would have been no point in selling someone like Kodjia if he didn't want to play and wasn't going to play at his best and for 15 million we had to take it, he is a good striker but is no where near worth that much and we have a better one in Tammy atm

The announcement of an extention of Johnson's contract certainly got people asking why and planting seeds of doubt in the wisdom of it. This seemed to invite pressure and anything and everything has been magnified since

32 minutes ago, Glyn Rileys Mullet said:

I would say the writing was on the wall before that.  When we beat Blackburn 1-0, I have never enjoyed a City win less than that. We were awful.

Contrary to some people's opinions I don't think we have good enough players (with 1 or 2 exceptions).  The gap between league one and the championship is massive and I would suggest we won't ever see a mid table championship finish until we cull a load more players and spend about 20 million on a new spine.  

Burton has just gone above us I wonder how many millions they have spent...?

Just now, JBFC II said:

We need wide players not strikers, we have a top target man in Duric who isn't being used due to the lack of width and lack of crossing ability. There would have been no point in selling someone like Kodjia if he didn't want to play and wasn't going to play at his best and for 15 million we had to take it, he is a good striker but is no where near worth that much and we have a better one in Tammy atm

Again, I've not said it's a preference of Kodjia over Tammy. We had both, were doing well. We lost one, and have struggled since.

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

So we've struggled since the 25th of August?

We had an initial good period where our run continued as confidence was high due to momentum, but yes, we were soon found out and we have struggled for the majority of that time.

Just now, JHAGa said:

We had an initial good period where our run continued as confidence was high due to momentum, but yes, we were soon found out and we have struggled for the majority of that time.

Since Kodjia left we beat Villa, Fulham, forest, leeds, Blackburn and Ipswich before our bad run, it isn't down to kodjia leaving at all imo

2 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Since Kodjia left we beat Villa, Fulham, forest, leeds, Blackburn and Ipswich before our bad run, it isn't down to kodjia leaving at all imo

Yes, and I could also list all of the games we've lost since he left. Blackburn, Ipswich and Leeds weren't great performances either. The bottom line is, there is not a doubt in my mind, had we kept the team we had in August, we would not be in the state we're currently in.

1 hour ago, M.D said:

Including that game, we've played 20 games, winning 3, drawing 2 and losing 15 with a win and a draw against Fleetwood included in that run..

When you see stats like that it's impossible to see how he's still in a job....

OH god this is depressing!

where did it all go wrong. It's not a matter of a specific point just a series of utter nonsense decisions and poor game management

LJ had to change very little when he came in as Pembo had already done the work. LJ had nothing to do with the win at Charlton just had to sit in the stand looking a little bit smug. At that point the model was set until the end of the season all LJ had to do was follow it

So where did it go wrong from there...When SL gave a bloke who never once had a dime to spend a fortune of his money to spend on kids and punts. I won't list them you know who they are. How many had Championship experience would be my question a couple maybe? Tomlin a great buy and Patterson 

Then the season started we had bids in for Codge and no one lined up to fill the void except Engval. Sigh. 

Tammy and Codge were going to tear up this division but we are forced to go one up as we finally had to move on Codge at his request. 

We went one up and could not keep the ball up there. This would change in games when we inevitably conceded a soft goal and had to gung ho it. 

The cracks were covered by late goals until Fulham, where those of us that we're there thought aye aye aye we are not half bad. LJ changed the team. This is the start. No body knew what he was thinking including LJ, players, supporters, board members journalists et al

we then went on a run of awful play, mistakes getting identified and certain players getting dropped for no better reason than we were more scared of the opposition. The souls of the supporters and players were getting sucked. The ridiculous spectical of Tomlin on the wing Reid on the wing Bryan at FB, bugger the list is endless became the norm and Tammy's goals dried up. Nothing to paper over the cracks. 

So here we are Freeman has told LJ to fnck off aaand we are here

I HOPE WE WIN ON TUESDAY. But regardless we are here for two main reasons. SL took a risk that has not come off and LJ did not have the experience to bring in the right players OR how to motivate them at the right time (and had no respect for the money of SL)

My take anyway!

30 minutes ago, Jacki said:

When you see stats like that it's impossible to see how he's still in a job....

Yep, I think its only a matter of time for LJ, maybe time will catch up with us on this one but I hope we change and towards the end of the season we are all signing the theme tune to the great escape.

1 hour ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

When we started talking of 'Europe in 5 years', an utterly rediculous comment, that coupled with Sheff Wed away when we could have been 3-1 up against 10 men, but Tomlin missed the pen and O'Neill got sent off 5 seconds later

when I heard that he said that I just thought that's it were doomed , what a plonker.

2 hours ago, JHAGa said:

We've definitely missed him.  He had that ability to do something different.  He had an edge.

2 hours ago, JBFC II said:

No way was he abject v Wigan.  The whole team were poor for 45 minutes, then last 30  we played well.  Kodjia could have had 3 or 4, good saves from Bogdan, and a couple a whisker away.  Tammy and Jimmy are different strikers.  Would've been nice to see them both play up from together, not one up top, one on the right wing.

'obviously wanted to leave" - at what point....not at Wigan. After being played right wing, maybe?  Had he scored the goals, and `City doing well, maybe his head might not have been turned.  He might have had a hastily arranged contract offer.

2 hours ago, JHAGa said:

Agree.  Stretching a defence in behind allows the whole team to compress the play.  Kodjia did that for us with most of it going unnoticed.

39 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We've definitely missed him.  He had that ability to do something different.  He had an edge.

No way was he abject v Wigan.  The whole team were poor for 45 minutes, then last 30  we played well.  Kodjia could have had 3 or 4, good saves from Bogdan, and a couple a whisker away.  Tammy and Jimmy are different strikers.  Would've been nice to see them both play up from together, not one up top, one on the right wing.

'obviously wanted to leave" - at what point....not at Wigan. After being played right wing, maybe?  Had he scored the goals, and `City doing well, maybe his head might not have been turned.  He might have had a hastily arranged contract offer.

Agree.  Stretching a defence in behind allows the whole team to compress the play.  Kodjia did that for us with most of it going unnoticed.

He was really poor v wigan, it looked like he didn't want to be here and that was shown when he refused to play v Scuththorpe, having a player who can't be asked is much worse than having 15 million more in the bank. We aren't missing the kodjia v wigan at all, he didn't want to be here and so there was no point of keeping him

Here;s my posts and photos from Wigan....just to cheer us up.

On 06/08/2016 at 22:08, Davefevs said:

O'Donnell - not a lot to do...and perhaps a few people should see that it wasn't all Fielding's fault if you keep trying to punt it to Joe Bryan on the touch line.

Ayling - steady enough, supported attack, and in last 15/20 showed great desire to win balls that he shouldn't have got.  Was in WS so couldn't see the their break down our right for their goal.  Will watch on telly later.

Bryan - my MOTM.  I take it all back re wanting the steady Golbourne....well, for home games at least.

Flint - had a very good game.  Bailed out Magnússon three times in opening half hour with blocks.  

Magnússon - bit outwitted by Grigg and Wildschut (especially) in opening 30 minutes, but worked out when to get tight and when to sit off, and dominated in second half. Thought Wildschut was a really handful.

Pack - steady game, worked hard in first half when we didn't click

O'Neil - got better and better as game went on, very clever touches and takes a very good corner / set-piece.  GONna be a huge influence this season

O'Dowda - along with JB, our best player in first half.  Warnock very lucky with a couple of lunges in on him...assume that is where he got the knock.  Very decent debut.

Brownhill - did some good things in tight spaces but let himself down a little when he had time.

Tomlin - quiet, frustrated for 75 minutes, then got himself into the game.  Thought our fitness and last season's experience was telling in second half.

Kodjia - lacked service until the double sub.  Having said that would have scored had those two left foot 'draggers' been on his right foot.

Subs:

Abraham - very, very, very impressive....seems to have it all.  We are lucky to have in on this performance.

Reid - buzzed around, hope this is what squad competition does.  Looking forward to seeing the goal.  Photos of slide below.

Freeman - did well, got a couple of step-overs in, and moved it quickly, and closed down well.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On 07/08/2016 at 10:45, Davefevs said:

He's always like that when he doesn't score.  He didn't get much service, but still worked hard and got more involved in the last 25 mins.

Looks happy enough for Bobby here:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Regardless of when it started, I get a real feeling that the foundations of the club are crumbling around us. It's so negative, there are so many issues in the background and on the pitch and there seems no end to the rot. Unless something drastic happens, relegation is more than a likely possibility. I despair at what is happening and can only see fresh management as a way of turning things around

Archived