IGNORED

Players Ratings

man in the middle

Giefer - 6, good distribution but not a lot to do for large parts of game

vyner - 6, at parts look solid but on several occasions got caught out of position not tracking back. Played great cross to djuric in first half

golbourne - 7, solid game I felt

flint - 9, won everything in the air against vokes, on several occasions came to rescue when vyner was out of position. Played a few great long balls

wright - 7, would have been an 8 but got nutmugged for the first goal. 

Centre back pairing looked strong, and did good job against premier league opposition while playing with relatively inexperienced vyner

reid - 4 (maybe a little harsh), awful touch today, played some dreadful passes and dominated by burbles physicality in midfield. Nearly set up goal for burnley in first half when massively under hit pass straight to burnley strikers

hegeler - 6, read the game well, adds some physical presence alongside Reid and brownhill but didn't do anything special. A few over hit through balls to djuric

brownhill - 9, by far our best cm today. Read game well and seemed to be involved in the creation of most of our chances. Did well against a physical burnley team

bryan - 5, a few ineffective runs but a quiet game and got subbed off injured 

o dowda- 8, could do with crossing more instead of attempting to take on 3 defenders but looked our greatest threat going forward, especially in first half. Caused Flanagan lots of problems first half with pace 

djuric - 4, I'm isually a fan of big centre forwards but not sure what he does. Missed a great chance in first half (maybe a good save), seems to come wide to often and is scared to run with the ball. Gets the ball and instead of attacking the defence turns around and looks wide then doesn't get into box and seemed to slow down any quick breaks and counter attacks we had. Needs a strike partner I feel

pack - 4, did nothing when came on but nothing bad either really

abraham - 7, looked threatening when came on but can't stay onside which is frustrating to watch

engvall - 4, looks out of his depth at this level, runs a lot but does nothing to create chances and can't see him and djuric causing any problems next season when Abraham is gone

johnson - tactically thought we set up perfectly for this game. To me I think team did well and a draw would have been a fair result.

Had we started Abraham I think could have won today. Only lacked a striker who wasn't scared to run with the ball.

So according to this we have spent around 3.5 million on two strikers who are at best Division 1 level…………..what is the general opinion of Engvall and Duric?, too early to judge or a waste of money?  Surely 3.5 mill could have been spent on one quality striker?……………….or is this an unfair assessment?

I think Djuric has much more potential at this level than Gustav. Admittidly Milan wont score you 20+ goals a season like a Tammy Abraham will ect but does the majority of the legwork and knockdowns that allows 'less physical' strikers to score. So he has the potential to be invaluable at this level if paired with the right partner. As the lone striker role he may struggle as he doesn't have the raw skill or pace of Tammy or others, but especially having Wilbs who Im sure is able to pass his knowledge onto Milan we could have a very capable player very soon and he has all the attributes to play the role too. 

13 minutes ago, maxjak said:

So according to this we have spent around 3.5 million on two strikers who are at best Division 1 level…………..what is the general opinion of Engvall and Duric?, too early to judge or a waste of money?  Surely 3.5 mill could have been spent on one quality striker?……………….or is this an unfair assessment?

The three matches I've seen of Djuric (Fleetwood, Cardiff and Forest) I'd say he looks pretty decent as a target man with a striker alongside him.

The few times I've seen Engvall he hasn't done much but it must be hard for him playing very rarely.

2 minutes ago, DaveF said:

The three matches I've seen of Djuric (Fleetwood, Cardiff and Forest) I'd say he looks pretty decent as a target man with a striker alongside him.

The few times I've seen Engvall he hasn't done much but it must be hard for him playing very rarely.

Conversely Engval has looked more likely to score (on his rare appearances) and does have one assist. 

Djuric has now gone a lot of minutes on the pitch without finding the net, which is a bit alarming. 

Not writing the bloke off yet, it's early days. Be interesting to see how he performs under a new manager. 

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Conversely Engval has looked more likely to score (on his rare appearances) and does have one assist. 

Djuric has now gone a lot of minutes on the pitch without finding the net, which is a bit alarming. 

Not writing the bloke off yet, it's early days. Be interesting to see how he performs under a new manager. 

My thoughts, we have recruited a non scoring striker...nice.

Djuric looked so limp and isolated yesterday, he had little support due to Reid's poor performance. Hegeler is going to be the player who could carry us up the table, a lot went through him, he is clearly premier league quality and less affected than the total lack of confidence the side is showing from the league run. Vyner bar the excellent cross he made was totally out of his depth, he was ghosted past on several occasions and just seemed to stick a leg out (like a flash with his bright green boots). Thought the centre half pairing did very well and Joe Bryan didnt get the rub of the green yesterday, he was always looking forward but his ambitious passes and moves were snuffed out by Burnley.

38 minutes ago, city2015 said:

vyner - 6, at parts look solid but on several occasions got caught out of position not tracking back. Played great cross to djuric in first half

flint - 9, won everything in the air against vokes, on several occasions came to rescue when vyner was out of position. Played a few great long balls

Centre back pairing looked strong, and did good job against premier league opposition while playing with relatively inexperienced vyner

reid - 4 (maybe a little harsh), awful touch today, played some dreadful passes and dominated by burbles physicality in midfield. Nearly set up goal for burnley in first half when massively under hit pass straight to burnley strikers

hegeler - 6, read the game well, adds some physical presence alongside Reid and brownhill but didn't do anything special. A few over hit through balls to djuric

brownhill - 9, by far our best cm today. Read game well and seemed to be involved in the creation of most of our chances. Did well against a physical burnley team

o dowda- 8, could do with crossing more instead of attempting to take on 3 defenders but looked our greatest threat going forward, especially in first half. Caused Flanagan lots of problems first half with pace 

djuric - 4, I'm isually a fan of big centre forwards but not sure what he does. Missed a great chance in first half (maybe a good save), seems to come wide to often and is scared to run with the ball. Gets the ball and instead of attacking the defence turns around and looks wide then doesn't get into box and seemed to slow down any quick breaks and counter attacks we had. Needs a strike partner I feel

abraham - 7, looked threatening when came on but can't stay onside which is frustrating to watch

engvall - 4, looks out of his depth at this level, runs a lot but does nothing to create chances and can't see him and djuric causing any problems next season when Abraham is gone

johnson - tactically thought we set up perfectly for this game. To me I think team did well and a draw would have been a fair result.

Had we started Abraham I think could have won today. Only lacked a striker who wasn't scared to run with the ball.

Hardly well set up with Djuric up top alone..

Either plays in a two or not at all so it had to be Tammy starting....

2 hours ago, maxjak said:

Personally not a fan of engvall and djuric I've not been impressed with but then I don't think We play to his strengths. Think the 2 games I've seen him play he's been on the end of 1 cross. 

I took my mate yesterday who doesn't support either team and his opinion is we will really struggle when tammy a gone with engvall and djuric

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Duric got two assists against Cardiff and I thought he bullied their defence well, not so sure when the balls on the ground though.

3 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

Hardly well set up with Djuric up top alone..

Either plays in a two or not at all so it had to be Tammy starting....

Or Engvall , not seen that much but  seems to want to play on the shoulder. Plus has a bit of pace. Another strange choice by the manager.

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Duric got two assists against Cardiff and I thought he bullied their defence well, not so sure when the balls on the ground though.

Or Engvall , not seen that much but  seems to want to play on the shoulder. Plus has a bit of pace. Another strange choice by the manager.

Djuric has played much longer . That was my point. Engval has had sod all pitch time but still has one assist and, as you say, looks pacy.

On a completely unimportant point, the Bosnian isn't called Duric. If you notice, he has a little line through the D of his surname.  That is a Cyrillic character that I don't have on my phone, but it's usually translated by putting Dj in place of the D line. That's a sort of phonetic version of it. If someone could let the club's media department know, they might get his name right for a change.

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Djuric has played much longer . That was my point. Engval has had sod all pitch time but still has one assist and, as you say, looks pacy.

Agree, really don't understand why Engvall hasn't been given a run. I don't think Tammy would look all that if he was in for one game and out for the next 4 or 5.

4 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

My thoughts, we have recruited a non scoring striker...nice.

Comments like this make me sigh. Are you the sort of person that claims Emile Heskey was a terrible striker because of his scoring record later in his career?

Not only is it about more than scoring goals (he has assists for us already, holds the ball up and is a definite outlet), but he's also scored goals in the past.

Add that to changing to English football from Italian, and coming into a team that were already in a shocking run of form, and you can see exactly why he hasn't hit the back of the net yet. Give the guy a chance, for god's sake.

11 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Comments like this make me sigh. Are you the sort of person that claims Emile Heskey was a terrible striker because of his scoring record later in his career?

Not only is it about more than scoring goals (he has assists for us already, holds the ball up and is a definite outlet), but he's also scored goals in the past.

Add that to changing to English football from Italian, and coming into a team that were already in a shocking run of form, and you can see exactly why he hasn't hit the back of the net yet. Give the guy a chance, for god's sake.

His league scoring record is nothing to write home about, I am concerned we might have signed a 'dud', all very good 'holding the ball up'  type, but we are desperate for a goal scoring centre foward...sigh. I will give him a chance, that's what we do at AG,

5 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

What new manager ?

1 minute ago, 1bristolcity said:

His league scoring record is nothing to write home about, I am concerned we might have signed a 'dud', all very good 'holding the ball up'  type, but we are desperate for a goal scoring centre foward...sigh. I will give him a chance, that's what we do at AG,

Right now we have a goalscoring centre forward who we rested yesterday. 

Each to their own, I completely disagree on the "dud" comment just based on what I've seen. Like I said, new to the league, new to the team, missed a sitter but played the rest of his part generally well.

I'm sure, as usual, that the problem is with the service he gets from someone like Reid. If someone puts a good cross in, he gets his head on it, and soon enough they will start going in. 

2 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Right now we have a goalscoring centre forward who we rested yesterday. 

Each to their own, I completely disagree on the "dud" comment just based on what I've seen. Like I said, new to the league, new to the team, missed a sitter but played the rest of his part generally well.

I'm sure, as usual, that the problem is with the service he gets from someone like Reid. If someone puts a good cross in, he gets his head on it, and soon enough they will start going in. 

Hopefully you are right, he does look the part.

6 hours ago, city2015 said:

Ratings spot on for Reid and Bryan in my book. Reid gave the ball away for the first goal and Bryan had two good opportunities to get decent crosses in and ballsed it up both times.

We have this love in with them for being one of our own but I don't think either of them are going in the right direction.

Archived