IGNORED

Taylor - a Gas view

Former Pirate

Hello guys and gals, it's been a while.

I hope you've all had a great start to the new year, and that you all had a great Christmas.

So...

Matty Taylor.

I'm not going to pretend I'm not disappointed that it's you of all people Taylor has joined, but unlike some of our more, shall we say 'passionate' fans, I can offer a slightly more balanced view.

Firstly, the club are to blame here, for allowing a paltry release clause of the rumoured £300k in his new contract, given that although he was a free agent, he will no doubt have enjoyed a significant pay rise in the last six months.

I don't necessarily blame Matty too much, ultimately as a lower league footballer it's more of a job than a passion, albeit a great job, so if he's taking his wages from say £2k a week to, what, £10k? Even £8k a week then I can not blame him. At those levels, the increase in wage makes a much bigger difference than Van Persie earning another £30k a week when he is already on £50k. Fair f*cks to him.

Ad a player, I've always had a mixed view personally, he scores goals of course, and I'm sure he will for you if you have a decent amount of creativity in the side (he doesn't score many solo goals). 

He's frustrating at times as he has been known to waste a lot of chances, particularly one-on-one chances, but will then smash one in from 20 yards. A bit of an enigma.

He's a goalscorer though, his stats don't lie, and that's why you've bought him, clearly. Whether he converts 20% or 100% of chances, he will run his balls off for you (that's another subject - keep a close eye on any silverware he may win with you!).

No sour grapes, of course I'd rather he was in our side than not! He's a decent player who, regardless of the team, deserves a crack at the Championship.

Anyway, I'm off for a quick pray that we re-sign Rickie Lambert by 11pm...!!

Best wishes all.

FP

Good to hear from you @Fordingbridge Pirate you were always one of the exceptions as a poster on this board. Thank you for your views on the guy, not sure how he will fit in or things will have to change for him to do so, or whether initially he will be "spelling" Tammy, but he has certainly stopped the incessant chat about the Manager at least. :) 

11 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Good to hear from you @Fordingbridge Pirate you were always one of the exceptions as a poster on this board. Thank you for your views on the guy, not sure how he will fit in or things will have to change for him to do so, or whether initially he will be "spelling" Tammy, but he has certainly stopped the incessant chat about the Manager at least. :) 

I'd imagine that in August 2017 we'll start with Djuric and Taylor up front. Till then, an impact sub, or maybe start occasionally alongside Tammy giving Djuric a rest.

I think it's great that after all these years, we are finally adopting the Bristol Rovers recruitment policy.

Take a lower league player with non league experience for pennies and seeing if we can turn him in to a player who can score goals and then sell him on at a huge profit.

Thanks for signing Matty.

11 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Brilliant you can come on here and say all that mate. Rovers do have a knack of finding great strikers and bringing them on. We could do with some of that.

You just know that Taylor will be the first one who suddenly stops scoring & who's career hits the rails !!

;)

:laughcont:

Ah thanks guys, nice to hear from you all again.

Yeah we have historically done OK with non-league strikers, hopefully we pull another one out of the bag this evening with the chap from Dover that DC seems keen on.

On a side note, what's the feeling toward Fact Hunt Jnr now? Seemed for all the world as if he'd never make deadline day!!

1 hour ago, Fordingbridge Pirate said:

Hello guys and gals, it's been a while.

I hope you've all had a great start to the new year, and that you all had a great Christmas.

So...

Matty Taylor.

I'm not going to pretend I'm not disappointed that it's you of all people Taylor has joined, but unlike some of our more, shall we say 'passionate' fans, I can offer a slightly more balanced view.

Firstly, the club are to blame here, for allowing a paltry release clause of the rumoured £300k in his new contract, given that although he was a free agent, he will no doubt have enjoyed a significant pay rise in the last six months.

I don't necessarily blame Matty too much, ultimately as a lower league footballer it's more of a job than a passion, albeit a great job, so if he's taking his wages from say £2k a week to, what, £10k? Even £8k a week then I can not blame him. At those levels, the increase in wage makes a much bigger difference than Van Persie earning another £30k a week when he is already on £50k. Fair f*cks to him.

Ad a player, I've always had a mixed view personally, he scores goals of course, and I'm sure he will for you if you have a decent amount of creativity in the side (he doesn't score many solo goals). 

He's frustrating at times as he has been known to waste a lot of chances, particularly one-on-one chances, but will then smash one in from 20 yards. A bit of an enigma.

He's a goalscorer though, his stats don't lie, and that's why you've bought him, clearly. Whether he converts 20% or 100% of chances, he will run his balls off for you (that's another subject - keep a close eye on any silverware he may win with you!).

No sour grapes, of course I'd rather he was in our side than not! He's a decent player who, regardless of the team, deserves a crack at the Championship.

Anyway, I'm off for a quick pray that we re-sign Rickie Lambert by 11pm...!!

Best wishes all.

FP

ffs your nearly an ok gashead .

11 minutes ago, Fordingbridge Pirate said:

Yeah we have historically done OK with non-league strikers, hopefully we pull another one out of the bag this evening with the chap from Dover that DC seems keen on.

On a side note, what's the feeling toward Fact Hunt Jnr now? Seemed for all the world as if he'd never make deadline day!!

We'll let you know at ten to ten tonight.

19 minutes ago, Fordingbridge Pirate said:

Deadline Day - I thought he'd never make Christmas!

Think he's very lucky that SL has  invested in him as part of the future for the club. It's brave ( or naively foolish) to stick with a manager given the sort of run we are on ( not sure run is the right word to describe it - slump or plummet might be more apt) but he does seem to be backing him given the new signings we've made.

Having said all that, unless we get wins and quickly I think the pressure from restless fans will be to much for Sl to resist making a change. Hope LJ can turn it around, but sadly, I'm not holding my breath.

39 minutes ago, Fordingbridge Pirate said:

Tbf, there are a few gasheads on here that aren't tools. @In the Net @bert tann as well as yourself Mr Pirate. 

Thanks for showing your acquaintances how they will be treated on OTIB if they didn't start with the stupidity.

Only wish some of us can have healthy debate/friendly banter over on gaschat.

22 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Deadline Day - I thought he'd never make Christmas!

Think he's very lucky that SL has  invested in him as part of the future for the club. It's brave ( or naively foolish) to stick with a manager given the sort of run we are on ( not sure run is the right word to describe it - slump or plummet might be more apt) but he does seem to be backing him given the new signings we've made.

Having said all that, unless we get wins and quickly I think the pressure from restless fans will be to much for Sl to resist making a change. Hope LJ can turn it around, but sadly, I'm not holding my breath.

At least he's planning for the future by signing a proven League One goalscorer.

(today of all days you can let me have that one!)

4 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

Seen all his Gas goals on the 'tube,, he's bright in the box and takes his chances, sort of like a better Agard, he will score well for the City, trust me. 

Problem with highlights is they do not show all the ones any player misses! I think for what it is worth right now he is kind of on a par with Agard. No shame in that.

An accurate summary from FB. You'll need to be patient with Mr T, as he does miss a fair few chances and will need to adjust to the faster pace of the Championship. Giving him a few pointers regarding the offside rule might be useful - or the linesmen could end up with RSI.

The reality is that for 99% of footballers these days, it is a job, and if Joe Bloggs Utd down the road offer more money, then they're off. It is a short career, he's almost 27, so probably his last chance to go for the big pay packet. Securing a better future for his family is a priority for him, the same as the rest of us. I guess the opportunity to ply his trade in a higher league for three months may have influenced his decision too!

He's not from Bristol, and he's never experienced the heat and passion of a Bristol derby, but, for me, he's lost his "legend" status in our history by moving across town. He was part of our rise from the ashes, and for that I thank him, and I am not one of those who could wish any ill will upon a player.  DC obviously saw something in him, and stuck with him when it looked like he couldn't hit a barn door - 'tis going to be a hard pill to swallow if you lot end up reaping the benefits of this!

Was this signing to deflect the heat from LJ?  Did SL see it as a legitimate way of stopping the progress of the noisy neighbours, who are creeping closer, and could end up being a big embarrasment to him, given the money he's invested? Will Mr Taylor end up being nothing but a glorified bench warmer?

Interesting times ahead on both sides of the river.

Archived