IGNORED

Atyeo statue names - One final chance!

Blagdon red

6 hours ago, clerk said:

What about the people who donated their hard earned money to get it made? Do they get their name on the statue? And why are you charging people when it's already been made? Need a new sofa? And who's it supposed to be...Mark Shail? It sure as hell looks nothing like John Atyeo.

I'm sure @Blagdon red will correct me if I'm wrong but originally, the SC&T received donations to fund the statue. The donors were informed they would be given a plaque when the statue was completed. The money raised would also buy shares in the club.

A reasonable amount was raised and the statue went into planning and design stages. Then City itself offered to fund the entire thing so the SC&T gave City all the money already raised and City made up the shortfall plus any other costs such as transportation etc.

The money raised from the continued selling of plaques will also be given to City. 

Think that's right @Blagdon red

• SC&T Board Members
2 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

I'm sure @Blagdon red will correct me if I'm wrong but originally, the SC&T received donations to fund the statue. The donors were informed they would be given a plaque when the statue was completed. The money raised would also buy shares in the club.

A reasonable amount was raised and the statue went into planning and design stages. Then City itself offered to fund the entire thing so the SC&T gave City all the money already raised and City made up the shortfall plus any other costs such as transportation etc.

The money raised from the continued selling of plaques will also be given to City. 

Think that's right @Blagdon red

Roughly correct, yes.

The Supporters Trust (as it was then, prior to the merger with the SC) surveyed fans in 2008 about the proposed new stadium. Over 2,800 responded and 80% wanted a statue. John Atyeo came out as ten times more popular than anyone else as the person to be immortalised in this way.

In late 2008, we started a campaign to 'Raise a Statue to Atyeo', the basis of which was that by donating £100 you could get your name on the plinth (this could either be in the form of a one-off payment or via 20 months of membership at our top £5pm rate). The agreement with SL was that we'd commission the statue and raise the necessary funds. As a token gesture in return we'd get shares in BCFC to the same value (I say token, as that would, of course, still have been a very miniscule percentage of the total share capital).

In the interim a lot changed. The new stadium plans came to nothing, Bristol Sport has been created and there is a new structure of parent and subsidiary companies.

We continued raising funds with the plan by now to erect the statue at Ashton Gate.

The arrangements for paying for the statue changed too, with SL opting to do that himself / via BCFC.

Rather than as a direct payment for the statue, the monies raised for the plinth names are therefore now going to be presented to BCFC as a donation towards the statue and the general landscaping of the area around it (yet to be done).

To date we have raised over £30k in this way for our football club and hundreds of fans now/will soon have the pleasure of seeing the names they wanted immortalised on the statue plinth. This last batch, after the cost of the plates themselves, will probably net about a further £5k or so. Thus ultimately the fans' contribution to that area of main stadium entrance will be around £35-36k, which I think that as fans we can all be very proud of.

• SC&T Board Members

General sales temporarily suspended.

We've had a great response over the last 48 hours. In fact, so good that we need to pause general sales for a while to enable those fans who over the last couple of months had asked us to let them know as soon as any new slots were released to confirm their wish to buy one.

If you had previously registered your interest and have not paid for your slot in the last two days, you will have received an e-mail this afternoon with a dedicated link to enable you to pay for your slot now. The deadline for doing so is midnight on Wednesday.

General sales for the remaining slots will resume on Thursday morning.

If you're in doubt or think it's expensive just put that out of your mind and do it!

Chances like this only come along once in a lifetime. I did a plaque for Toby, Tilly & Edie.

They loved it and when I'm dead and buried they'll be able to return and remember their old dad and the day he took their photo by it!

• SC&T Board Members

We still have a few people who previously got in touch and asked us to 'reserve' a slot for them on the plinth who have not yet replied to several mails asking them either to confirm that they wish to go ahead - and thus to make payment - or to advise us that they have decided not buy a spot after all.

We would really like everyone in this position to let us know one way or the other before we re-open general sales, so we are extending the deadline for people on the 'reserved' list by a further 24 hours - until midnight on Thursday.(9th Feb).

If your first name is listed below and you asked us to reserve you a slot, please let us know ASAP what you now wish to do.

Brendan
Sophie
Alanna
Stephen
Tim
Lisa
David
James
Blake

On Friday morning the last few remaining slots on the plinth for online sales will be released. If you have not responded by then, I'm afraid you may miss out.

You can send any queries to us at atyeostatue@bristolcitysupporters.org

6 hours ago, Blagdon red said:

We still have a few people who previously got in touch and asked us to 'reserve' a slot for them on the plinth who have not yet replied to several mails asking them either to confirm that they wish to go ahead - and thus to make payment - or to advise us that they have decided not buy a spot after all.

We would really like everyone in this position to let us know one way or the other before we re-open general sales, so we are extending the deadline for people on the 'reserved' list by a further 24 hours - until midnight on Thursday.(9th Feb).

If your first name is listed below and you asked us to reserve you a slot, please let us know ASAP what you now wish to do.

Brendan
Sophie
Alanna
Stephen
Tim
Lisa
David
James
Blake

On Friday morning the last few remaining slots on the plinth for online sales will be released. If you have not responded by then, I'm afraid you may miss out.

You can send any queries to us at atyeostatue@bristolcitysupporters.org

That list reads like a Beautiful South song.

Sort of.

Is the number of goals he scored going to be corrected on the plaque under the statue too? From 350 to 351?

The club even put up 351 on the screens (outside and inside the stadium) on the day the statue was unveiled.

It's an embarrassing error but pretty easily corrected I should think...

43 seconds into this video shows that the club thinks it's 351 goals...

• SC&T Board Members
2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Is the number of goals he scored going to be corrected on the plaque under the statue too? From 350 to 351?

The club even put up 351 on the screens (outside and inside the stadium) on the day the statue was unveiled.

It's an embarrassing error but pretty easily corrected I should think...

43 seconds into this video shows that the club thinks it's 351 goals...

There is conflicting evidence both ways about the 'correct' number. Even the authors of various books on Atyeo and the club history have differing figures.

Based on all our best research (and the reports in the press at the time of his last game, which unequivocally stated that he needed 2 goals to hit 350, which he subsequently scored), we believe that 350 is most likely to be the correct number.

The fact that 351, 350 and even 349 get cited by various different sources just goes to show that there were no 'dubious goals panels' in his day and no 'official' stats kept.

15 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

There is conflicting evidence both ways about the 'correct' number. Even the authors of various books on Atyeo and the club history have differing figures.

Based on all our best research (and the reports in the press at the time of his last game, which unequivocally stated that he needed 2 goals to hit 350, which he subsequently scored), we believe that 350 is most likely to be the correct number.

The fact that 351, 350 and even 349 get cited by various different sources just goes to show that there were no 'dubious goals panels' in his day and no 'official' stats kept.

Thanks for the response BR - I suppose it is difficult to get exact figures from a relatively long time ago. I would have thought the club  would know the correct total though and they think it's 351.

Nevertheless, it's still a fab statue! Well done to all concerned

• SC&T Board Members
1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Thanks for the response BR - I suppose it is difficult to get exact figures from a relatively long time ago. I would have thought the club  would know the correct total though and they think it's 351.

Nevertheless, it's still a fab statue! Well done to all concerned

Cheers. My understanding is that the club got their figure of 351 from one of the book author's, who has since revised his calculations. As I said, there are differing views.

At the time of Atyeo's final game, however, there certainly appears to have been no doubt in Peter Godsiff's mind:

Atyeo Last Game Evening Post Report.gif

10 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

Cheers. My understanding is that the club got their figure of 351 from one of the book author's, who has since revised his calculations. As I said, there are differing views.

At the time of Atyeo's final game, however, there certainly appears to have been no doubt in Peter Godsiff's mind:

Atyeo Last Game Evening Post Report.gif

Well the Evening Post / Bristol Post have never got anything wrong have they?! Just a light-hearted jibe!

There are obviously differing opinions but to me if BCFC say it's 351 then that's what I'm going with! They widely publicised that figure around the time of the statue's unveiling too and our own supporters club and trust think it's 351 too, have a peek here:

http://www.bristolcityst.org.uk/trust_news/article000632.shtml

• SC&T Board Members
9 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well the Evening Post / Bristol Post have never got anything wrong have they?! Just a light-hearted jibe!

There are obviously differing opinions but to me if BCFC say it's 351 then that's what I'm going with! They widely publicised that figure around the time of the statue's unveiling too and our own supporters club and trust think it's 351 too, have a peek here:

http://www.bristolcityst.org.uk/trust_news/article000632.shtml

That's a very dated article on our old website, when we probably took the figure straight from Wikipedia!

Over the last few years, as you can imagine, we did a lot of research prior to erecting the statue. Based on all sources and conversations with 'club historians' and authors of relevant books, the concensus now is 350. But, as I said, there was no 'dubious goals panel' in those days, so a goal that one source might have recorded as being Atyeo's, another source might have down as somebody else's.

The bottom line is that there is no indisputable 'official' figure.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Would be nice if the club could realise then that it was 350, it did look a bit odd on the day of the unveiling having the two different numbers

Any idea why the club still say 351?

I don't they have our year of formation right either

On 2017-4-24 at 08:49, Silvio Dante said:

Bump.

As we are now nearly at the end of season, wondered whether the new names will indeed be in place for the Birmingham game or whether the intent is to wait until the summer and better weather?

Same here, i think the original estimation was end of the season at the latest. Any updates @Blagdon red?

Cheers.

44 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Same here, i think the original estimation was end of the season at the latest. Any updates @Blagdon red?

Cheers.

Gaz - I went past last week and the two I ordered in Jan/Feb were on the plinth (hadn't known they had been placed but just spotted them). If you ordered in that batch, would guess yours are there too

Just now, Silvio Dante said:

Gaz - I went past last week and the two I ordered in Jan/Feb were on the plinth (hadn't known they had been placed but just spotted them). If you ordered in that batch, would guess yours are there too

Nice one! Will swing by snd check it out.

Archived