IGNORED

Six nations

Super

That Scotland - Ireland game may in future be recalled as "That classic encounter". England - France was anything but classic. However a win is a win.

BBC News reported that there is a 2nd tier six nations as well. For the last six years Georgia have won that and in world rankings, Georgia are currently above Italy. The Georgian RFU have suggested therefore there should be promotion & relegation between the two competitions. The Director of the ^ Nations competition is none too keen on this "We are here to preserve the integrity of the 6 Nations, not support Georgia".

The Georgian RFU have asked if there could a least be a play off between them and whoever finishes bottom of the 6 Nations just to show off their level of play. "No because that could have unforeseen consequences" declared that Director. Hmm; I think this is an issue that may not go away.

I thought the ref as much as anything killed that England-France game as a watchable encounter. Fussy,  and bizarre decisions. Fans like to watch a flowing game, not you, mate.

Was at the game so didn't watch the Scotland-Ireland encounter,  but those who did say it was indeed 'a classic'.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

I thought the ref as much as anything killed that England-France game as a watchable encounter. Fussy,  and bizarre decisions. Fans like to watch a flowing game, not you, mate.

Was at the game so didn't watch the Scotland-Ireland encounter,  but those who did say it was indeed 'a classic'.

Agree, the ball came out from a ruck and the referee clearly shouts "it's out', the England player dives on the ball and referee bizarrely punishes England and says "you can't dive on the ball the is 'emerging' from the ruck".

Also the yellow card for May was harsh, my take was the French player's momentum took him to where he ended.

On 05/02/2017 at 13:11, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Agree, the ball came out from a ruck and the referee clearly shouts "it's out', the England player dives on the ball and referee bizarrely punishes England and says "you can't dive on the ball the is 'emerging' from the ruck".

Also the yellow card for May was harsh, my take was the French player's momentum took him to where he ended.

I thought May was very lucky. Keith Earls was sent off for an identical tip tackle against Glasgow in the Champions Cup in October.

I quite enjoyed England v France. Lots of errors and agree that the ref was extremely fussy at the scrum and breakdown but nothing beats a close test match.

Italy played quite well for 50 minutes or so but as usual their fitness and discipline let them down in the end. 

Scotland Ireland was a very good game. Frustrating thing from my point of view is that we defended really poorly in the first half, never got enough out of our lineout and kept turning the ball over and still should have won!

On the promotion/relegation. We have an obligation to grow the game. SANZAR have done so by finding room for Argentina in the Rugby Championship and Japan in Super Rugby. Would personally expand to a 7 team competition for now and review it in 5 years or so.

Can anybody explain why England's Sis Nations matches are kicking off at 16H50?

I mean, what a crazy time - encroaching on the end of Saturdays' live football and, in the case of supporters of both sports, presumably depriving them of sufficient time after watching their football team to get home or to a pub to watch the match on TV. 

On 06/02/2017 at 19:40, MichaelRobartes said:

I thought May was very lucky. Keith Earls was sent off for an identical tip tackle against Glasgow in the Champions Cup in October.

I quite enjoyed England v France. Lots of errors and agree that the ref was extremely fussy at the scrum and breakdown but nothing beats a close test match.

Italy played quite well for 50 minutes or so but as usual their fitness and discipline let them down in the end. 

Scotland Ireland was a very good game. Frustrating thing from my point of view is that we defended really poorly in the first half, never got enough out of our lineout and kept turning the ball over and still should have won!

On the promotion/relegation. We have an obligation to grow the game. SANZAR have done so by finding room for Argentina in the Rugby Championship and Japan in Super Rugby. Would personally expand to a 7 team competition for now and review it in 5 years or so.

Big difference between Argentina and Georgia though. Personally I think some time should be made for internationals against the teams in the tier below so they get more exposure to playing top teams regularly, I just don't think expanding the 6 nations is the right way to go. 

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 19:40, MichaelRobartes said:

On the promotion/relegation. We have an obligation to grow the game. SANZAR have done so by finding room for Argentina in the Rugby Championship

After one World Cup Argentina announced they needed to play in either the Championship or the 6 Nations, preferably the latter.

This was because they thought at the time SANZA were still too strong, but also half of the Argie team played for European clubs. Home games would be played in either Madrid or Barcelona. It was interesting they stated would and not could. That suggested preliminary talks at least had already taken place. They were out of their depth when they first joined the Championship, but their game has improved so much they won in Jo'burg.

25 minutes ago, Midred said:

Worried about this bonus point system. Ireland could win 4, gain 4 bonus points and end up with same total as team that won all 5 matches. Is the idea that we than play.off.for.the championship?

No, any team winning the Grand Slam gets extra bonus points so will always win the title and stop that scenario happening. 

Just as England & Scotland play for the Currie Cup, Ireland & Wales now play for a trophy as do Italy & France. A Radio 5 pundit picked up on this.

Three two nation cups, the triple crown, the championship, the grand slam and the wooden spoon. That's seven prizes to be shared by six teams.

Archived