IGNORED

Pack

Cider Queen

I'm still annoyed by that performance.. Yes we won but I really don't get why he brought Pack in today.

He slows the game down way too much, wants too much time on the ball and gives the opposition to much time to get back into position. Added to that, he's too similar to Hegler at one point they were so close to each other I'm sure they were holding hands!

We need someone who's dynamic, forward thinking, looking for a quick pass.  Not sure if that's Bobby, Brownhill or even Bryan but it sure ain't Pack!

My own view was that he was poor in the first half, but actually pretty decent in the second. Agree him and Hegler can end up playing the same role, and maybe only needed one of them today, but overall by no means the worst today. 

We seem to have 128 midfield players who can all play one good game, one bad game, and no one who can cover for Little when he is not at the races.

4 minutes ago, redfieldred said:

Sh@t first half. Pretty good second. Why pick on him? They were all sh&t first half. They weren't all ok second, last 20 mins best midfielder in the pitch. 

Really? Thought he was shocking all game and is a likely as any to gift an opposing striker an opportunity with poor decision making.  I personally cannot see what he brings to the team.

Okay. You didn't se the last 29 minutes or you are extremely poor at judging what constitutes good play. He tackled back. Won the ball and released it quickly and accurately. As was the case for the goal. 

Admittedly he didn't do this until the substitutions but before that there was no movement ahead of him

1 minute ago, redfieldred said:

Not allowed to criticise Tomlin but pack is always fair game. 

I'm a massive Tomlin fan but today he was poor and deserved to be subbed.

But I didn't start this to talk about him, I wondered if other people had a similar opinion of Pack as I did.  He wants too many touches and prevents us pushing forward quickly.. In my opinion!

It was odd watching Pack today. He didn't have any impact on the match whatsoever, lost possession poorly a few times but won it back with some decent interceptions and tackles... decent without the ball and decent with it overall. Cancelled himself out performance wise for me, you will rarely see a more 'meh' performance. 

2 minutes ago, ojjy said:

I'm a massive Tomlin fan but today he was poor and deserved to be subbed.

But I didn't start this to talk about him, I wondered if other people had a similar opinion of Pack as I did.  He wants too many touches and prevents us pushing forward quickly.. In my opinion!

Depends what's ahead of him. He did some accurate long balls to cotterill on 3 or 4 occasions. When Patterson, Taylor and Djoric came on he linked well wth them 

Pack & Hegeler in midfield together were absolutely abysmal first half. So much space left for Rotherham as both of them hung back and next to no creativity. Pack is also so slow and negative with his passing. Tomlin was coming so deep st times just to get the ball, it was woeful. Slightly better defensive second half as Hegeler moved further forward especially with the substitutions, but it's not a combination that I would rush to see again. 

And talking of experience in midfield what has LJ got against GON? Or is he "injured/unwell/sore toe" again? He is a proven "Championship plus" version of a Pack who is quicker and more incisive. So why not play him with Hegeler? Makes no sense!

2 minutes ago, redfieldred said:

Okay. You didn't se the last 29 minutes or you are extremely poor at judging what constitutes good play. He tackled back. Won the ball and released it quickly and accurately. As was the case for the goal

I did see the last 29 minutes.. And even when Taylor was running the channels I thought Pack's decision making was poor.  OK he tracked back a bit in later stages, but he loses his man way too often for me.

And it's not the first time either. He's a really frustrating player.. Whether it's a confidence thing or what but he just needs to realise he doesn't need 3 or 4 touches, when 1 or 2 will do and a quick release to the forward players.

1 minute ago, Dr Balls said:

Pack & Hegeler in midfield together were absolutely abysmal first half. So much space left for Rotherham as both of them hung back and next to no creativity. Pack is also so slow and negative with his passing. Tomlin was coming so deep st times just to get the ball, it was woeful. Slightly better defensive second half as Hegeler moved further forward especially with the substitutions, but it's not a combination that I would rush to see again. 

And talking of experience in midfield what has LJ got against GON? Or is he "injured/unwell/sore toe" again? He is a proven "Championship plus" version of a Pack who is quicker and more incisive. So why not play him with Hegeler? Makes no sense!

please see above comments. I think pack has been better than oneil this season when hegeler wasn't there. This may have looked poor, but the side won and pack played a key part on the goal and tackled back well afterwards. 

47 minutes ago, ojjy said:

I'm still annoyed by that performance.. Yes we won but I really don't get why he brought Pack in today.

He slows the game down way too much, wants too much time on the ball and gives the opposition to much time to get back into position. Added to that, he's too similar to Hegler at one point they were so close to each other I'm sure they were holding hands!

We need someone who's dynamic, forward thinking, looking for a quick pass.  Not sure if that's Bobby, Brownhill or even Bryan but it sure ain't Pack!

Have to agree No creation in this middle once Tomlins not there

45 minutes ago, ojjy said:

I did see the last 29 minutes.. And even when Taylor was running the channels I thought Pack's decision making was poor.  OK he tracked back a bit in later stages, but he loses his man way too often for me.

And it's not the first time either. He's a really frustrating player.. Whether it's a confidence thing or what but he just needs to realise he doesn't need 3 or 4 touches, when 1 or 2 will do and a quick release to the forward players.

Rubbish he played a key part in the goal and all the decent play that followed the subs coming on. I'd love to sit and watch that last 20 minutes with you because you obviously edit out his good play 

I like Pack but agree with the original comments. At home to a Leeds he was immense, but any "passing" midfielder does need movement to be effective and we dIdnt have this first half. Thought last 20 mins he was good, some important tackles.

When I opened this thread I was expecting it to be about how well he played (more so in the second half I'll admit).

The movement ahead of pack/hegeler was shocking in the first half and to be fair in the second half before the substitutions. I include all our forward players in this but most notably everyone's saviour, Tomlin. When the team is confident, the players/fans backs are up, players like Tomlin in particular shine, but the negativity/anxiety in all of us became more and more evident after every failed attempt by Tomlin with his fancy flicks and needless losing in possession many times.

In contrast Pack got on the ball, used it effectively in the role he's asked to do, much like Hegeler, both not outstanding but they contributed to our win by shielding the defence, being brave by being the only ones to show for the ball and majority of the time found one of our players.

I really like Tomlin when he 'makes the right decisions' in the final third, unfortunately too many times he didn't find a man, dribble into an opponent or tried his frustrating flick round the corner (which only worked once). On Tuesday he did everything correctly from a player playing the free role, but clearly where he was outstanding then and praised for effectively getting us a point, he should be constructively criticised this time around for our failings up until his substitution.

Obviously I don't lie the inept teams 60 mins solely with him but his teammates were made to look bad because they were having to work that extra bit harder for his footballing incompetence in possession and furthermore, his unprofessional attitude out of possession, basically he would rather point/instruct others to do his running and defensive work.

Anyway to compare back to Packs performance, one other notable thing (which has been clear with the comparison of the loving of the wonder kid Korey) is when Pack switches possession, which he did very well yesterday to start attacks you get a few applauds (almost like the crowd are stunned we have a player that can generally do that consistently) but when it's Tomlin like on one occasion shortly before he was subbed (following two identical, consecutive switches by pack) it was met with rapturous applause.

The above paragraph is what sums up many fans stubborn views towards certain individuals. Pack came into his own and was much more notable when he had people running ahead of him, even hegleler/Bryan/cotterill seemed to go up a level with the tempo/movement in/out of possession by the front 3. Pack played a hand in the goal by breaking up possession and giving it to one of our forward players (who consequently found a teammate). Isn't that what he's in the team to do and what others in the same position get commended for?

I just want to add with the negative comments on here in the past 12 hours or so, I certainly didn't want to turn this into a negative one and where I was critical of Tomlin I tried to be constructive with it. I love the guy and want him to play and be the star I know he can be like last season and on Tuesday, but I do feel others are unfairly given a hard time unjustiably and I used the comparison of the said two players to make my point.

Finally, well done to the team (and majority of the time us fans) for persisting to try to get the winner and hold on for a much needed 3 points to hopefully give us some confidence again. 

Would love to see the whole game back, or pro-zone.  

My view of the game was that first 45 he plays too close to Flint, both in possession and out of posession.  When a ball gets knocked up front for Flint to challenge he will be a yard in front of him.  Flint wins 90+ percent, so just worry about your CM.  too many times Flint headed it forward 10 yards and Vaulks picked it up with no-one around him.  Had Pack stayed with Vaulks, then we'd be challenging the second ball, or Pack might even get possession .  Vaulks isn't going to gamble and try to get in front of Pack is he, when he think Flint is gonna win it and head it back over his head!

In possession, he's too square or behind square.  This is where he puts Little in a spot, because his angles get closed and he gives it away...Marlon needs to give better angles.

There were a couple of occasions where Marlon got into more advance positions (when LT came short to get the ball), but he never got a good pass.

Second half, he played 10 yards further forward, look at how many times Vaulks was challenged and eventually booked for persistent fouling.  He got it, moved it much quicker, got better challenges in because he wasn't 5-10 yards away from his marker, so didn't have to make ground up.  All players at this level can play and knock a ball off to someone when they've got time to take a touch without being under pressure.

Marlon much, much better second half.  No idea why he didn't play that way all game.

Archived