IGNORED

Sorry is the hardest word

Marina's Rolls Royce

So on 57 mins, I look down for my seat in the Lansdown stand to see three players getting ready to come on. What???? Surely not- I must be wrong?Yet a minute later all three come on in a literally breathtaking move.

Then the boos, the "don't know what you're doing" starts and all of a sudden a guy runs down the gantry ( from another block) next to where I sit at the bottom of the stand and launches a screaming blistering attack on LJ. He was incandescent, furious, very loud  and .... shall we say- 'somewhat unforgiving'.

Now, in all my time of going to watch my team, I've never ever taken to task another fan who verbally attacks our team. In the split second that the subs came on, I just thought wow just wow, WTF? But then just as quick, I thought well Tomlin has been pointless ( awful on this occasion) Tammy not looking like scoring so I sort of get it. I was desperate to see Matty make his debut and at 0-0 guessed we didn't have much to lose. A draw is a defeat v Rotherham.

So, I stand up and start saying to this fan " just let's wait and see- you don't know it's lost us the game, etc" He would not listen and had made his mind up and remained furious . " Give it a chance, mate" but he wasn't having it. People around me were a bit concerned something might kick off but he went back to his block.

14 minutes later after a much improved work rate, Milan scores the winner after good work from the other subs. After I stop jumping like a loon and hugging my kids, there's a tap on my shoulder and it's the angry fan. He puts out his hand and shakes mine and says " I'm sorry- I was wrong" and gives me a hug. My kids thought it was brilliant and the guy next to me said " it takes a man to say that- fair play to him".

I just wish that fans on OTIB could sometimes do the same. Just man up and say when you've made the wrong call. We won a match, we've drawn a match yet there is still an undercurrent of personal abuse towards LJ on here that is so polarised and usually the same posters that I'm left with the impression that losing is better because it will prove their vindictive positions right.

I'm not saying that everything's now ok because it most certainly isn't but credit where credit is due- Lee made changes and we win the match. Well done City, well done Lee.

Fair play to him and you. I don't think though that there would be this much negativity had we not basically confirmed ourselves as relegation fodder with that 'performance'. 

We were desperate for a glimmer of hope to cling onto ahead of this ridiculous run of away matches coming up and we didn't muster up anything for myself to believe we will not be in the relegation zone in 4, or maybe less, games time. 

My problem is , this mirrors (sort of) Wigan all those months ago. It was kitchen sink time at the end of the game that won it for us, similar to yesterday. He finally lost me during the Reading game, if he set us up and we dominated a game then I'd give him credit not for sneaking a win against the worst side in the division. It seemed a panic move when we hadn't created much, the next 4 games I doubt will be won with such tactics.
Back on subject, I would love at the end of the season to (with copious amounts of humble pie) say "wow LJ really proved me wrong"  I just can't see it. 
But you never know :fingerscrossed:

22 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

So on 57 mins, I look down for my seat in the Lansdown stand to see three players getting ready to come on. What???? Surely not- I must be wrong?Yet a minute later all three come on in a literally breathtaking move.

Then the boos, the "don't know what you're doing" starts and all of a sudden a guy runs down the gantry ( from another block) next to where I sit at the bottom of the stand and launches a screaming blistering attack on LJ. He was incandescent, furious, very loud  and .... shall we say- 'somewhat unforgiving'.

Now, in all my time of going to watch my team, I've never ever taken to task another fan who verbally attacks our team. In the split second that the subs came on, I just thought wow just wow, WTF? But then just as quick, I thought well Tomlin has been pointless ( awful on this occasion) Tammy not looking like scoring so I sort of get it. I was desperate to see Matty make his debut and at 0-0 guessed we didn't have much to lose. A draw is a defeat v Rotherham.

So, I stand up and start saying to this fan " just let's wait and see- you don't know it's lost us the game, etc" He would not listen and had made his mind up and remained furious . " Give it a chance, mate" but he wasn't having it. People around me were a bit concerned something might kick off but he went back to his block.

14 minutes later after a much improved work rate, Milan scores the winner after good work from the other subs. After I stop jumping like a loon and hugging my kids, there's a tap on my shoulder and it's the angry fan. He puts out his hand and shakes mine and says " I'm sorry- I was wrong" and gives me a hug. My kids thought it was brilliant and the guy next to me said " it takes a man to say that- fair play to him".

I just wish that fans on OTIB could sometimes do the same. Just man up and say when you've made the wrong call. We won a match, we've drawn a match yet there is still an undercurrent of personal abuse towards LJ on here that is so polarised and usually the same posters that I'm left with the impression that losing is better because it will prove their vindictive positions right.

I'm not saying that everything's now ok because it most certainly isn't but credit where credit is due- Lee made changes and we win the match. Well done City, well done Lee.

What a great post.

14 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

The one who should be sorry is lansdown for constantly making the wrong decisions.If anyone who was at the game yesterday thinks any part of that performance was exceptable is delusional it's time for a change get a manager who knows what he is doing 

6 minutes ago, Walsheys step over said:

The one who should be sorry is lansdown for constantly making the wrong decisions.If anyone who was at the game yesterday thinks any part of that performance was exceptable is delusional it's time for a change get a manager who knows what he is doing 

Let's put this straight.... Lansdown owes us nothing. We may not even have a club without the guy, and certainly not one of the quality or division that we have. 

Many City fans "got it wrong" when the triple subs were made and if more of them had been nearer to the bench there would have been more anger directed at LJ.

Certainly almost everyone around me were yelling insults and general abuse towards LJ largely because fans favourites Tomlin and Tammy were subbed. Add to that the game was dire and everyone was frustrated and you have a volatile combination. Too many fans just don't have any faith in LJ.

But fair play to the guy who admitted that he got it wrong.

1 minute ago, mattjtsmith said:

Let's put this straight.... Lansdown owes us nothing. We may not even have a club without the guy, and certainly not one of the quality or division that we have. 

Rubbish we would still have a club and what quality we are no further on as a football team even with all the millions he has wasted. Ok he owns a nice stadium 

So were people booing because of all 3 subs? I thought it kicked off more when Tammy started walking off as the final substitution. I'm not sure how anyone could complain with the other two subs, both Tomlin and Little were having v poor games and looked knackered. 

51 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I'm surprised at Magnusson, I thought those Islanders were cool and calm .

Top post.

I said to a few friends that the three substitutions, whilst unpopular at the time, made the difference.

We saw a different side to LJ's character, he demonstrated that he's not afraid to make these tough decisions.

The criticism is why did we set up like this in the first place. I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but he's alluded to managing Tomlin through his bout of sickness which must still affect his fitness so why not play Paterson & to get two games in a week out of Litts seems to be a problem so why not play Vyner instead?

He did say that the subs would make the difference and he has been proved correct.

Rotherham were never going to lay down and succombe to a 4.0 defeat especially given the run we've been on, which is what we all demanded as fans.

I  WANT him to suceed but can't help feeling that the criticsm is mounting for him with every disappointment and I can't see that waning.

I would've been very unhappy if Tomlin had been 'rested' after the way he played on Tuesday. Why he was so bad yesterday baffles me as he looked back to his old self against Sheff Wed.

What I think was wrong though was playing two holding MFs and one up front at home to Rotherham!! Yes we were better after the changes but we had two up front. Instead of Tammy on his own with no-one within thirty yards of him.

LJ is just way too negative in the way we play at home imo. 

Well I said LJ should have been sacked just for that first half alone.

We never stretch a side, all our attacking is slow with our forwards facing our own keeper, nothing is slid down a channel to turn defenders and the ability to support our front line is woefully bad. We must be one of the easiest teams to play against.

However, the introduction of the subs suddenly changed that and we got to see just how pitiful Rotherhams defence actually was, we had a runner off Djuric in Taylor and those two with the added energy of Patterson showed we can get at a defence if the support in numbers is there. Dave Cotterill although good yesterday, deserved so much more support from his colleagues when attacking, looking around to see where everyone was.

I'm sorry but Johnson is not the man for me, yes it changed with the subs but come on, we played Rotherham yesterday and for 55 minutes we never stretched them, they actually had the two best chances by doing just that, sliding a ball down the wing, quick crosses and with our defence facing our goal almost grabbed a goal or two. Why the Fk can't we attack them with speed and get in their faces by closing them down and have their defence facing their own goal, everything is played in front of them. I honestly think he believes we need to find some kind of percentage based game that possession no matter what or where, will win us games. It's a lazy stat to throw at people when things are not going well. Stretching teams and finding weakspots is not from an a age of dinosaur tactics, it drags players out position and creates uncertainty, opportunities for smart players to expoit.

But congratulations anyway is in order for the change, whether it was a last throw of a dice from a desperate situation or it was the result of a tactical masterplan nobody but our bench will know, but I will say this, more of that last 35 minutes please Mr Johnson, because if we go into the rest of the season with that uber cautious outlook we will be sitting one place above Rotherham in May.

1 hour ago, Walsheys step over said:

The part where we took all 3 points is acceptable. I'm not delusional.

I do wonder though that by changing a Manager at this stage ( no more transfers/someone else's team etc) and expecting some miraculous turn around is just as delusional. It's an equally big gamble to change now as it is to keep him for a few more games to see if the losing run has been reversed. IMO.

1 hour ago, Loon plage said:

Get it right when he picks and sets the team up and he will get credit. Last throw of the dice shite against anyone but the worst team in the division and we lose.

Well he picked a pretty strong team, as many on here commented at the time.

In terms of the tactics, it's hard to know if LJ is directing the players wrong or if the players are failing to perform. Tricky.

10 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

The part where we took all 3 points is acceptable. I'm not delusional.

I do wonder though that by changing a Manager at this stage ( no more transfers/someone else's team etc) and expecting some miraculous turn around is just as delusional. It's an equally big gamble to change now as it is to keep him for a few more games to see if the losing run has been reversed. IMO.

It doesn't need a miracle just someone who knows what their doing.what would be a miracle is if Johnson did turn it around IMO

52 minutes ago, RedSA said:

So were people booing because of all 3 subs? I thought it kicked off more when Tammy started walking off as the final substitution. I'm not sure how anyone could complain with the other two subs, both Tomlin and Little were having v poor games and looked knackered. 

I boo'd the substitution of Abraham. Yes he was off the pace but mainly owing to ploughing a lone isolated furrow. For me it was more fear that we were taking off our only goal threat to replace him with championship unknowns. Djuric hasn't looked the sort of players to nick a winner (yet) and Taylor hasn't played at this level. 

Taking off our only goal threat against our relegation rivals. 

People suggest it was a master stroke. Fair play to him it worked. Yet I'm sure if we'd of had two up front from the off, it would've been a happier day. 

The gesturing towards the West Stand by LJ after we scored was almost Pardew cringeworthy like. I'd suggest keeping ones beak down until we're a few wins in. 

Questions are being raised, frustrations aired and rightfully so. 

Itll take more than a win against a side who looked more suitable up the Downs for the tide to turn. 

Looking forward to him turning it though. So I can be proved wrong. 

At 60 minutes, score 0-0, if we lose LJ is very likely to be out the door in the minds of most fans, Rotherham smelling blood thinking they might even be able to win the game... was LJ brave on 60 minutes, or just desperate. It paid off yes, but seriously 3 subs, changing the shape, telling players to get forward and more urgency... 

1 hour ago, Walsheys step over said:

Delusion is the lack rational thought.

It's hard to understand if you are accusing people of thinking yesterday was exceptional, acceptable or some new hybrid word developed while in a rage?

I think you'll find that people are relieved that we won yesterday. For some however, it appears they are genuinely pissed off that we won because they saw a loss as an opportunity to get rid of LJ - that my friend is the silver bullet delusion.

The delusion appears to continue further with some now believing that SL is the source of our misfortune :facepalm:

2 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

So much sense written here. 

2 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Maybe it's LJ that he should have appologised to, if it was him that he was "going for"

1 hour ago, RedSA said:

I said before the game that I'd have gone for Vyner over Little, because I thought Tuesday took a lot out of him, and I wanted fresh legs.  I thought Tomlin might suffer too following illness.  I still picked him in MY team, but that's without having seen him in training in the days leading up.  That's not me trying to be a know-all, just one if the things I considered in picking my team on Friday.  My other change was Cotterill, for O'Dowda.  I don't think anyone left Tomlin out in their predicted line-ups.

1 hour ago, Swede said:

Top post.

I said to a few friends that the three substitutions, whilst unpopular at the time, made the difference.

We saw a different side to LJ's character, he demonstrated that he's not afraid to make these tough decisions.

The criticism is why did we set up like this in the first place. I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but he's alluded to managing Tomlin through his bout of sickness which must still affect his fitness so why not play Paterson & to get two games in a week out of Litts seems to be a problem so why not play Vyner instead?

He did say that the subs would make the difference and he has been proved correct.

Rotherham were never going to lay down and succombe to a 4.0 defeat especially given the run we've been on, which is what we all demanded as fans.

I  WANT him to suceed but can't help feeling that the criticsm is mounting for him with every disappointment and I can't see that waning.

Agree, nice original post....which I think is not full support of LJ, but saying that yesterday his changes worked.  Whether they were desperate or not, it doesn't matter, he had the balls to take off our 19 goal striker.

Your points re fitness are right, see my comments above.  We chased a lot of ball on Tuesday, and that had an effect.  I think Hegeler suffered too....the 'efficient' German still settling into the Championship, let's not forget.

Giving LJ massive benefit of the doubt, but perhaps he knew we'd need fresh impetus in the final 30 minutes, because if the tiring game on Tuesday.  But, I would like us to play well for the best part of 90 minutes for once!  You can't expect a team to dominate all 90.

16 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

Delusion is the lack rational thought.

It's hard to understand if you are accusing people of thinking yesterday was exceptional, acceptable or some new hybrid word developed while in a rage?

I think you'll find that people are relieved that we won yesterday. For some however, it appears they are genuinely pissed off that we won because they saw a loss as an opportunity to get rid of LJ - that my friend is the silver bullet delusion.

The delusion appears to continue further with some now believing that SL is the source of our misfortune :facepalm:

Not hard to understand if anyone thinks yesterday's performance is good enough to keep us in this division ther wrong and Steve lansdown has made mistakes which ultimately lead us to where we are .I am not saying I am not thankful for Steve's millions just massively pissed off

Archived