IGNORED

LJ in a Nutshell?

Red Cloud

1 hour ago, Nube Rojo said:

"Maybe he is one of those sort with a great eye for a player but no idea how to mould them into a decent unit?" - copied from another forum which sums him up perfectly for me!

Exactly. He reminds me of someone who spends a lot of time playing fantasy football, where you can be successful by collecting good players, without worrying how they would play as a team in the real world. Perhaps that's how he got the job. He turned up for the interview and impressed SL with stats from his fantasy games. 

49 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Exactly. He reminds me of someone who spends a lot of time playing fantasy football, where you can be successful by collecting good players, without worrying how they would play as a team in the real world. Perhaps that's how he got the job. He turned up for the interview and impressed SL with stats from his fantasy games. 

Definitely agree with that.

Wasn't there a rumour that LJ wanted to play 4-4-2 but didn't have the correct personnel to do so? The only player he's brought in that capable of fitting into my view of a traditional 4-4-2 is Dave Cotterill who seems a natural wide right player. All the others such as Tomlin, O'Dowda, Paterson all see to be players who play at number ten, or favour cutting inside rather than bombing down the wing.

I really thought the prospect of having Freeman on the left, and another winger on the right would be perfect providing we got the central midfield balance right.

I suppose LJ argues that we do play 4-4-2, but it lines up more like 4-1-3-1-1 or 4-2-3-1 depending how far back Tomlin drops to collect the ball !!

15 minutes ago, Big Red Rich said:

He certainly was successful everywhere his dad wasn't manager. Not.

yes your right Rich he said the other week i quote players in midfield need to put there foot in get stuck in an die for the cause ha ha just like he did all i remember about him was playing like a crab in midfield passing back an sideways

Again, we saw the weakness in coaching yesterday. 

Defenders don't know who they are supposed to be marking, players are static off the ball, and as for the throw ins :facepalm:

Throw ins are always a pet peeve of mine. Other teams seem to have well-worked out routines.  We might as well just throw the ball directly at an opponent.  No one seems to know what to do at them,  and we end up losing possession time and time again.

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Again, we saw the weakness in coaching yesterday. 

Defenders don't know who they are supposed to be marking, players are static off the ball, and as for the throw ins :facepalm:

Throw ins are always a pet peeve of mine. Other teams seem to have well-worked out routines.  We might as well just throw the ball directly at an opponent.  No one seems to know what to do at them,  and we end up losing possession time and time again.

Highly rated coach coveted by Prem teams, apparently..

44 minutes ago, beaverface said:

Definitely agree with that.

Wasn't there a rumour that LJ wanted to play 4-4-2 but didn't have the correct personnel to do so? The only player he's brought in that capable of fitting into my view of a traditional 4-4-2 is Dave Cotterill who seems a natural wide right player. All the others such as Tomlin, O'Dowda, Paterson all see to be players who play at number ten, or favour cutting inside rather than bombing down the wing.

I really thought the prospect of having Freeman on the left, and another winger on the right would be perfect providing we got the central midfield balance right.

I suppose LJ argues that we do play 4-4-2, but it lines up more like 4-1-3-1-1 or 4-2-3-1 depending how far back Tomlin drops to collect the ball !!

It was 4 4 1 1. You can't play a flat 4 in midfield. People get hung up with formations.  If Hegler goes forward Pack stays back and vice versa. If full backs get forward midfield covers. Not difficult

IMO he's over thinking everything and trying to change the set up to counter punch opponents which can translate as a lack of confidence.  He spends too much effort trying to be a footballing intellectual and is over complicating matters.

We need a consistently selected back four (or five) and central midfield pair so they can develop as a solid unit.  

You can mess around with the front 3/4 a bit and get away with it but it's soft goals usually from wingers exploiting weak full backs that are killing us and you won't fix that by messing about with the formation and selection all the time.

It's also concerning (and will be concerning to the players) that sometimes they get suddenly yanked out of the XI and not even put on the bench.  People need to know where they fit and feel secure to perform to their top level and exiling players for a while then pulling them back in is counter productive.

In terms of replacing him I think the only reason it hasn't happened yet is that SL is wedded to the idea of Mark Ashton as DoF, so choice is limited to "promising young coaches" who will work in that structure.  I don't have too much of a problem with that because the signings have been good and it's seemed more organised but we need better management of the first XI.

I think we'll probably stay up purely because two of the three relegation slots are already nailed on, but we're not going to progress much unless we either change the coach or he has some kind of back to basics epiphany.

1 hour ago, bend it like brian said:

really, not a personal attack...just a fact he was terrible

Not my favourite player, but certainly not terrible.

He's the type of player you only notice when he's not playing.

In our play off season, the wheels came off our run for automatic promotion when LJ was injured. He was much maligned because his Dad was the manager, but he did his job very well. Marvin was outstanding that year, but without someone like LJ playing alongside we would not have been as effective as a team.

As a manage it's difficult for me to judge, because I just don't get to see us play. From comments on here it seems to me that he overcomplicates things by second guessing the opposition and changing selection/formation/tactics almost every game. Whenever we've had good seasons it has invariably featured a relatively unchanged team, so what's wrong with that approach now?

The biggest issue now is restoring the players' confidence. I suspect that Spudski's comments are on the money, i.e. players like rabbits in the headlights, frightened to take responsibility, frightened of making a mistake because there is so much at stake. I'd like to think the last couple of results will help, but suspect the players are all too well aware of the pressure on the head coach, which in itself will be unsettling.

We could have done with  run of easier games to build on the last couple but have a horrible feeling that confidence will be dented still further over th next few weeks and that fans' finger nails will be down to the quicks at the tail end of the season.

Archived