IGNORED

We are doing better than this time 12 months ago. Fact!

Jack Dawe

A year ago, we had just drawn 0:0 at home to Birmingham.

We were third bottom, 29  GD -23  Pts 25

Today, we sit in 20th,   29  GD -3   Pts 31.

Progress! An improvement there for all to see. You can't argue with the facts folks! Although there's always the option of twisting the stats to fit your world view, which we can all do.

Following that Birmingham game, we went on a great little run, winning four in our next five beating Charlton, Ipswich, MK Dons and Forest. So, shall we revisit this thread in four or five games time? 

• Admin
24 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Progress! An improvement there for all to see. You can't argue with the facts folks! Although there's always the option of twisting the stats to fit your world view, which we can all do.

Following that Birmingham game, we went on a great little run, winning four in our next five beating Charlton, Ipswich, MK Dons and Forest. So, shall we revisit this thread in four or five games time? 

Looking at those factors you are correct

My concern is signing 27 players and spending lots just to get to that point

24 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Just broke a club record for consecutive loses. Fact!

Yes progress has been made to some some extent, but look at the circumstances.

12 months ago, we had played most of the season with a threadbare squad after a shambles of a summer. Didnt we have something like 15 senior players available at one point and couldnt even fill a bench? Most of our squad lacked Championship experience and we were being brutally put to the sword, often out of games at half time. As bad as things were, you could clearly see the mitigating circumstances regarding our poor form. We simply did not have the ability, experience or squad depth to compete which was inexcusable itself, but thats another issue.

This time around there should be no excuses. The manager has been massively backed with £16 million worth of transfers. We have a squad full of quality, players with championship, international, premier league and bundesliga experience. Players that have done well elsewhere. We've got a ground and facilities to match all other Championship clubs which we didnt previously have. Yes, we initially did well, escaped relegation and have performed a little better this season but surely thats inevitable?

Our situation now is entirely different to the one 12 months ago. We shouldnt be making comparison with then, we need to ask the question, should we be doing a lot better with what we have available? Absolutely. We shouldnt even be contemplating relegation, let alone seing it as a inevitability as many people here do. LJ has been a disaster, plain and simple imho. 

7 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

As has been stated we've gained 6 extra points after spending £16m. That's approx £2.7m per point. I hope SL has got deep pockets. 

Not true really because we recouped a lot of that.  I'm happy with current position let's start to give LJ a chance before trying to find the negatives all the time. 

I'm fully behind what LJ is creating as many were up to October no doubt.  Let's try to all be a bit more positive shall we.... 

Oh Dear if anyone thinks we can better last seasons run in the good luck with that, Its going to need a huge turnaround in form to keep us safe, and we are still not anywhere near that, the next four games I am not optimistic about gaining any points, that would probably see us in 23rd, and possibly 6 points away from safety. Blackburn Wigan, are still capable of doing better than us, all in I am very concerned.

1 minute ago, 1bristolcity said:

Oh Dear if anyone thinks we can better last seasons run in the good luck with that, Its going to need a huge turnaround in form to keep us safe, and we are still not anywhere near that, the next four games I am not optimistic about gaining any points, that would probably see us in 23rd, and possibly 6 points away from safety. Blackburn Wigan, are still capable of doing better than us, all in I am very concerned.

So you'll come back and eat humble pie in 4 games time?  Miserable bugger

5 minutes ago, Georgecreed123 said:

Not true really because we recouped a lot of that.  I'm happy with current position let's start to give LJ a chance before trying to find the negatives all the time. 

I'm fully behind what LJ is creating as many were up to October no doubt.  Let's try to all be a bit more positive shall we.... 

Hmmm.... 

11 minutes ago, Georgecreed123 said:

Hmm.. No offence but possible this is BS from BS.

1 hour ago, RedRaw said:

£16million+ spent for an additional 6 points........yep, real progress :bored:

41 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

As has been stated we've gained 6 extra points after spending £16m. That's approx £2.7m per point. I hope SL has got deep pockets. 

Where does £16 million come from? Correct me if i'm wrong:

LT £3m

Hordor £1.7m

Milan £1.5m

Moore £1.5m

Engvall £1.3m

Callum £1m

Matty T £300k

Jens £255k

Wright and Paterson? Couple of 100k's each?

So about £10m - quite different to £16m

25 minutes ago, Georgecreed123 said:

It's true we have recouped some of the money due to players leaving, but we have signed more players than we have sold. Part of the financial analysis must consider salaries, and the current wage bill must be significantly higher than this time  last year. Looking to the future, if we are going to continue with the scattergun approach to signing players, who can we sell in the summer to balance the books?

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

So if we spend another £10-15M we can be closer to 40 points this time next year... 

19 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Where does £16 million come from? Correct me if i'm wrong:

LT £3m

Hordor £1.7m

Milan £1.5m

Moore £1.5m

Engvall £1.3m

Callum £1m

Matty T £300k

Jens £255k

Wright and Paterson? Couple of 100k's each?

So about £10m - quite different to £16m

I referred to the £16m figure as this was qouted by @RedRaw as I can't believe anyone on the forum ever gets anything wrong! I believe Paterson was £750k so with Wrights signing it's slightly more than £11m in fees. However, that is only part of the story. We've got to add in agents fees and signing on fees (including free transfers such as O'Neil) which probably gives us something in the region of £16m. If we include extra salary costs for all the players we've signed it gets worse. Some salary costs will be offset by players leaving, but not all

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

It won't last..

Yours

Nostradamus the Bruce.

1 hour ago, Georgecreed123 said:

really ?

really

oh my lord

Another member of the Johnson Family just signed up to the forum !

And regarding one of your other posts, as a newbie , if you don't like the forum , don't like the posters and don't like the moderators

Why don't you do one , permanently , and do all us 'idiots' a favour

Im sure the 'idiot' moderators won't be too dissapointed

2 hours ago, Georgecreed123 said:

This has to be the most NEGATIVE part of the club so what we need to do is get rid of it and every person in it. From top to bottom this forum is a joke full of self righteous idiots including the alleged moderators.

Although LJ has certainly not helped things with lots and lots of tinkering I do wonder if part of the problem is actually just how many signings we've made. 

Trying to to get everyone on the same page and integrating so many new players is going to have it's drawbacks. Sometimes you get lucky and things just 'click' other times it can take and awful long time for it to all come together with a lot of new players. 

I think what LJ has failed to do is mold this team into a cohesive unit and give it proper structure during both attack and defence, it's clear to see the lack of organisation at times and how there ment to attack as a unit. 

I think this big influx of players has only made this worse or he's yet to figure out how to get them playing as a team.

For all our sakes let's hope that it starts coming together now we got a win and can hopefully put that run behind us.

Archived