IGNORED

City's best full backs

Super

40 minutes ago, Super said:

Always seem to have had better left than right.

Darren Barnard  too - always thought we have generally punched above our weight at , and been blessed with Left Backs

My two would be

RB  Don't think we've bettered Gerry Sweeney since

LB Plenty of good ones to choose from , but Martin Scott for me

1 hour ago, harrys said:

TC, Bailey, Drysdale, most of our best full backs tend to be left-backs

1 hour ago, Super said:

Always seem to have had better left than right.

Apparently Gianluca Vialli has a theory about right back usually being the worst player on the team. I believe the logic is something like: if he were more skillful he'd be a midfielder and if he were stronger or better defensively he'd be a centre half. Left backs tend to be better than right because left footers are rarer so the players tend to be nurtured more.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2009/mar/25/the-question-full-backs-football

9 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Apparently Gianluca Vialli has a theory about right back usually being the worst player on the team. I believe the logic is something like: if he were more skillful he'd be a midfielder and if he were stronger or better defensively he'd be a centre half. Left backs tend to be better than right because left footers are rarer so the players tend to be nurtured more.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2009/mar/25/the-question-full-backs-football

I think we can relate to that at the moment....

1 hour ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Vialli obviously never saw Gary & Phil Neville play for Utd or England...that tackle vs Romania!! :facepalm: 

Best full backs?

Right back - Kevin Amankwaah. Great player & I believe Arsenal were looking at him, shame about the car crash which must have had a bearing on his career options. At the time he was far better than Carey in that position. Very quick and attack minded.

Left back - has to be Micky Bell for me. He had a wonderful left foot, took a great free kick & linked up admirably with Tinnion down that left flank. Out of the three usual choices I think he was better than Barnard defending & easily better than Martin Scott going forward.

Archived