IGNORED

Is Rainieri a good coach ?

Abraham Romanovich

Talk of him now being sacked if results don't improve over the next few games.

So has he suddenly become a poor coach or was he just lucky in winning the title (hard to believe).

So if he is struggling at the moment are all expectations of a manager all smoke and mirrors and you just get lucky with the right players at the right time and anyone competent could do a decent job.

5 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

So has he suddenly become a poor coach or was he just lucky in winning the title (hard to believe).

So if he is struggling at the moment are all expectations of a manager all smoke and mirrors and you just get lucky with the right players at the right time and anyone competent could do a decent job.

he's a fantastic coach won multiple leagues and cups everywhere he's gone, but like any coach you can come to the end of your time at said club, he will fall on his sword soon, and rightly so, Leicester are in rotten form, I'd take him tomorrow though, and so will many other teams all across Europe

1 minute ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Good managers are only as good as the players they are working with and the form that they are in, imo. 

Of course, better managers, like Brian Clough, are able to get more out of players more often. 

Would the likes of Alex Ferguson have conquered Europe if he'd taken over Wrexham..? Highly doubtful. 

There is a massive amount of "right timing", if not luck, involved. 

Did anyone really not expect Leicester to be in a relegation battle this season? I certainly did, especially with their extra Champions league distractions. 

Sometimes clubs over achieve. Leicester did dramatically and deservedly so. Massive over achievement can't be sustained. Enjoy it while it lasts. 

There are also managers who are great at winning, but struggle to turn things around when they are struggling. 

Ranieri has yet to struggle and he's finding it tough to turn around. In fairness, he's probably not the manager best suited to a relegation fight. 

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

he's a fantastic coach won multiple leagues and cups everywhere he's gone, but like any coach you can come to the end of your time at said club, he will fall on his sword soon, and rightly so, Leicester are in rotten form, I'd take him tomorrow though, and so will many other teams all across Europe

I disagree with that I must say, what he done was amazing last season but this season the players should be ashamed of themselves. Selling Kante didnt help I grant you.

2 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

There is no other explanation of how Leicester won the league.  His coaching skills must be incredible.

I can never understand why great managers and coaches seem to lose their touch after such successes.

We've had managers who have done well for a season, then it all seems to go wrong.

Very simple really. It is often easier to chase something than to maintain it once you have it..? 

It's a whole different ball game and why so many who achieve wealth, subsequently lose it. It's easy to take your eye off the ball, lose focus, and you are also there to be shot at.

It's not unique to football. If someone could come up with a simple solution, they would be very, very rich! 

Only very few people strive, achieve AND THEN develop & progress further. 

I think his Leicester side have been found out.

They were brilliant last year when they got in deep and counter attacked. It suited their players and the staff obviously coached it well.

This year teams are giving them more respect as the champions and they're having to try and break teams down more that they're not so good at.

Add in that they lost their best player last year, Kante. Who's also made more tackles in one and a half seasons than anyone in the last three years in the Prem and they've struggled.

That's how I see it anyway.

22 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

You don't get lucky in winning the league- But he has struggled to replace Kante.

From what I've seen this season their defence seems to be pushed up more to make up for the fact that Kante isn't in there winning every ball in front of them. Unfortunately their defence isn't actually that good and is now seriously struggling (I seriously can't believe a team with Morgan and Huth as their centre halves won the league....).

Add that their shooting accuracy has fallen- I think Sky sports said something like 3 times as many shots to score this season, and all of a sudden they are behind in games more often- that doesn't help their counter attacking style.

The guy didn't just win the league last season, he preformed a minor miracle. Their owners stuck by Pearson so I expect them to stick by Rainieri.

It was a perfect storm where 9 or 10 players had the season of their lives , all together

As far as I could see Ranieri kept everyone happy and gently steered the ship that was steaming onwards

Huth & Morgan , for example had a fantastic season but were regarded (Probably fairly) as Championship standard , which at times this season they are showing

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Definitely a big factor - No coincidence that Chelsea are doing well

Like having an extra player on the pitch

What was the quote 'Water covers a third of the planet , Kante covers the other third'

(Or words to that effect)

Or I think it was Steve Walsh that said "We play with 3 in midfield: Drinkwater sitting and Kante on either side"

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

It was a perfect storm where 9 or 10 players had the season of their lives , all together

As far as I could see Ranieri kept everyone happy and gently steered the ship that was steaming onwards

Huth & Morgan , for example had a fantastic season but were regarded (Probably fairly) as Championship standard , which at times this season they are showing

Also every single one of the usual challengers had an off season. Chelsea, United, City, Arsenal and Liverpool all underperformed last season. Spurs could and should have won the league but failed to deliver.

That said, to get Leicester to perform to the level required was still a hell of an achievement. He had exactly the right players, tactics and spirit to do it. Sustaining something like that is nigh on impossible for any manager. Only Alex Ferguson has really managed it in England in the past 20 years.

I think Leicester still have enough quality and determination to stay up this season, but they'll have to do something special if they're to see anything other than a gradual decline over the coming years.

That said, they're still in the Champions Legue and I reckon if you offered them the choice of Premiership survival a la Stoke, West Brom etc. for the next 10 years or winning the Champions League and being relegated I reckon most people would take the one shot at glory.

1 hour ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Ive always believed that every decent coach/manager needs one key ingredient above all else, to be a motivator who has the respect of his players. If you havent got that then it doesnt matter how tactically cute you are. Raneri has this in normal circumstances but maybe Leicester have scaled their Everest and he just cant get them up for it like before.

1 minute ago, milo1111 said:

Ive always believed that every decent coach/manager needs one key ingredient above all else, to be a motivator who has the respect of his players. If you havent got that then it doesnt matter how tactically cute you are.

Raneri has this in normal circumstances but maybe Leicester have scaled their Everest and he just cant get them up for it like before.

Good post & point IMO :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, Super said:

Clearly the only reason why he hasn't been sacked is because of last season, We went the other way with Cotts and didn't take the previous season into consideration. Rightly or Wrongly.

It's different, though, because Leicester weren't promoted as a result of their title win so they're not facing a different challenge this season*. City moved into a higher league, struggled to adapt, and were in danger of losing that status again.

They did, however, stick with Pearson the season before and probably would have kept him on longer had it been solely down to football reasons.

*Champions League excepted. It could be argued that an equivalent would be to expect continued Champions League qualification, but that's much harder because there are only 4 league places that can provide it, whereas there are 17 league places in the Premier League that provide survival.

I think motivation is a big factor. Last season it was all about the Premier League and they must have been incredibly pumped up by what they were achieving, now there may be a sense of "been there, done that", of complacency. It's not as big a deal this season. 

I think what's telling is how they performed in the CL. That was the novelty this year, that's where the focus will have been, and even while they were struggling in the league they were replicating last season's form in europe. They didn't even concede a goal until the last game, when, and tellingly after they had already qualified as top of the group, they were battered 5-0 by Porto.

As has been said losing Kante was a big blow and teams were going to treat them with more respect, prepared to negate their strengths rather than think they should be capable of just turning up and beating them. And that means it was always unlikely they'd be a contender again this year, but it doesn't explain them being in a relegation battle. They should still at the least manage mid table.

Ranieri isn't suddenly a terrible manager, he hasn't just lost his coaching abilities overnight. A lot of people seem to think managers are either a genius or clueless, with no in-between, largely depending on the last 6 months. It's not as simple as that, sometimes managers might just be a good fit at certain clubs or in certain situations with the right group of players, and vice versa. It will always be astounding what he did last season, and he's got a great career across europe, but maybe he's just not suited to this situation, to a team on a downer headed for a relegation scrap, the motivation required. And if the players aren't performing there's only so much anyone can do.

Maybe they do just need something fresh, to give them a kick up the arse and remind them last season is gone, it's not relevant anymore. If they think he can be the one to do that, fair enough. But whilst he'll always be a hero for last season no matter what, that doesn't in itself mean he'll be able to keep them up this. Different situations. And loyalty won't count for much if they end up back in the Championship next season

3 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

be honest how many times have you thought if I had the amount of money some managers have at there disposal I could do better, I know I have.

2 hours ago, Super said:

Clearly the only reason why he hasn't been sacked is because of last season, We went the other way with Cotts and didn't take the previous season into consideration. Rightly or Wrongly.

Is Leicester over achieving by a huge amount and winning the Premier Division and us winning League 1 when we were among the favourites to be promoted really that comparable? 

One side were expected to be relegated and beat teams who spent hundreds of millions, the other were expected to be at least top 6 and had one of the larger budgets.

1. N'golo Kante.

2. Juicy new contracts for several players who've now taken their foot off the gas and seem much less motivated.

3. Morgan and Huth, two players who the season before people said their legs had gone, had an Indian summer for a season and now their legs really might have gone.

4. Mahrez and Vardy who were scoring for fun have both lost their touch.

It's a shame because Ranieri, who did a wonderful job, will take the blame. 

Archived