IGNORED

1989-90 promotion highlights

1960maaan

4 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

For me, it was the best season ever. I was 16 years old, in the prime of my life you might say, and a typical week might include a few pints of snakebite and black at a sixth-form party, a Wonderstuff or Stone Roses concert (the latter only on video, sadly) and a Saturday afternoon spent in Ashton Gate's East End, having filed patiently through good old-fashioned turnstiles.

Though I'd been to Wembley for the 1986 Freight Rover final against Bolton (a joyous day out that had seen a steady mass of red heading up the M4 - including gangs of scarf-waving Robins hanging out the backs of removal vans); and though I'd crammed into a rain-sodden open end for the League Cup semi-final against Forest just a season before; this was the season when the Bristol City bug hit me hard.

I'll never forget my mum bursting into my bedroom with the phone bill in hand, scalding me for my excessive use of Club Call, or Tuesday evenings spent glued to Radio Bristol, praying that Phil Tottle would interrupt Carly Simon's 'Coming Around Again' to bring news of a goal from Ashton Gate.

But it was when I was able to attend the games that the adrenaline really kicked in. Those afternoons (and evenings) crammed into the East End were the footballing equivalent of the moshpit down the Victoria Rooms or the Newport Centre. Dangerous. Exhilirating. And when Bob Taylor scored his 30-yarder in front of us against Crewe Alexander on that cool April evening, part of a stunning hattrick in a 4-1 win, the universal chorus of "One Bobby Taylor, there's only one Bobby Taylor" seemed like the giddy encore.

Sadly, that wasn't to be the case. Ironically, it was an injury to Super Bob that ultimately scuppered our title aspirations and gifted (they'll argue with the choice of word) the title to our friends at Twerton Park. The match was one of several away days that I attended that season via CATS coach service, the others being Notts County, Leyton Orient (when the coach got lost and finally dropped us off at the stadium at half-time), and a thrilling 3-2 win at Wigan, where I remember sitting on the grass bank that was the away end, wondering why they were playing the Coronation Street theme over the tannoy.

While the loss of the title hurt at the time, that season will always remain in my heart and none since has matched it for romance and excitement. Have Bristol City failed to deliver on that early (for me) promise? No, I think I just grew up.

not to forget Ceefax and teletext page 302 312 and 170 respectively :) oh the days be fore'tinternet

4 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

For me, it was the best season ever. I was 16 years old, in the prime of my life you might say, and a typical week might include a few pints of snakebite and black at a sixth-form party, a Wonderstuff or Stone Roses concert (the latter only on video, sadly) and a Saturday afternoon spent in Ashton Gate's East End, having filed patiently through good old-fashioned turnstiles.

Though I'd been to Wembley for the 1986 Freight Rover final against Bolton (a joyous day out that had seen a steady mass of red heading up the M4 - including gangs of scarf-waving Robins hanging out the backs of removal vans); and though I'd crammed into a rain-sodden open end for the League Cup semi-final against Forest just a season before; this was the season when the Bristol City bug hit me hard.

I'll never forget my mum bursting into my bedroom with the phone bill in hand, scalding me for my excessive use of Club Call, or Tuesday evenings spent glued to Radio Bristol, praying that Phil Tottle would interrupt Carly Simon's 'Coming Around Again' to bring news of a goal from Ashton Gate.

But it was when I was able to attend the games that the adrenaline really kicked in. Those afternoons (and evenings) crammed into the East End were the footballing equivalent of the moshpit down the Victoria Rooms or the Newport Centre. Dangerous. Exhilirating. And when Bob Taylor scored his 30-yarder in front of us against Crewe Alexander on that cool April evening, part of a stunning hattrick in a 4-1 win, the universal chorus of "One Bobby Taylor, there's only one Bobby Taylor" seemed like the giddy encore.

Sadly, that wasn't to be the case. Ironically, it was an injury to Super Bob that ultimately scuppered our title aspirations and gifted (they'll argue with the choice of word) the title to our friends at Twerton Park. The match was one of several away days that I attended that season via CATS coach service, the others being Notts County, Leyton Orient (when the coach got lost and finally dropped us off at the stadium at half-time), and a thrilling 3-2 win at Wigan, where I remember sitting on the grass bank that was the away end, wondering why they were playing the Coronation Street theme over the tannoy.

While the loss of the title hurt at the time, that season will always remain in my heart and none since has matched it for romance and excitement. Have Bristol City failed to deliver on that early (for me) promise? No, I think I just grew up.

Wonderfully written , and a great post  :clapping:- was with you through every word of that 

Youre not a writer are you ? That post would make a great chapter in a Bristol City History book or the fanzine :thumbsup:

(Why not e-mail it to one of the fanzines)

9 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Wonderfully written , and a great post  :clapping:- was with you through every word of that 

Youre not a writer are you ? That post would make a great chapter in a Bristol City History book or the fanzine :thumbsup:

(Why not e-mail it to one of the fanzines)

Thankyou! I am partial to a bit of writing :-p It probably could've been a bit more exhaustive, but I was walking home from the station haha

1 minute ago, AshtonGreat said:

Blimey, great memory! I'm not sure how my mum n dad let me get away with that, especially if Duty Free was on.

1 minute ago, AshtonGreat said:

Blimey, great memory! I'm not sure how my mum n dad let me get away with that, especially if Duty Free was on.

I still have my season book filled out from match magazine for that season.  Up in my mums attic somewhere!  I remember the odd smack around the head as ceefax on teletext got turned on as the Howards way theme tune rang out... God help me if I did it when Dallas was on!!

1 minute ago, East End Old Boy said:

On and off the pitch! 

Nah, never too pissed was he? he always needed to to have his wits about him for betting on the Nags from what I remember.  Or was he a ladies man?  a bit like Bailey with Smiths wife?

3 minutes ago, TRL said:

I still have my season book filled out from match magazine for that season.  Up in my mums attic somewhere!  I remember the odd smack around the head as ceefax on teletext got turned on as the Howards way theme tune rang out... God help me if I did it when Dallas was on!!

Now, you know full well that Howard's Way was on a Sunday :-p

42 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

You have z everything I wanted to. Remember going away with the Junior Redz  to Bolton and sitting in the friendly home end!!!

This was my season and a failure in terms of not being champions but as I got older I realised City promised third base but rarely let you past first.  

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

Same age as me then @AshtonGreat - what a time it was. Also a defining part of that season for me was bunking out of school on crudely forged "town pass" to go to Revolver Records on the triangle to pick up this newish fanzine called The Bountyhunter

I knew it'd never catch on. 

25 minutes ago, shelts said:

You have z everything I wanted to. Remember going away with the Junior Redz  to Bolton and sitting in the friendly home end!!!

This was my season and a failure in terms of not being champions but as I got older I realised City promised third base but rarely let you past first.  

That last sentence rings so true.

A couple more personal memories from that season:

- Buying one of those ghastly yellow away shirts after we beat Chelsea 3-1 in the FA Cup, then immediately cowering behind a car while about 2,000 Chelsea fans marched past me, shepherded by what seemed like five police.

- Feeling frustrated and disappointed that on our big day in front of the national TV cameras (against Chelsea), my hero Bob Taylor had an off day, miskicking in front of the East End, while Robbie Turner got all the plaudits.

- Bob 'n' Rob inexplicably wearing sweatbands, and always tossing them into the crowd after games.

- Always wanting to go to the Captain's Cabin restaurant in Weston, just because City players sometimes dined there.

- Standing at the bar in Spirals in Yate one Friday night, shaking my head in disbelief that we'd lost 6-0 at Tranmere.

- Radio Bristol's impossible 'mystery voice' competition.

- Cutting out black and white match reports from the Evening Post to go in my scrap book.

- Roger Malone.

Ahhh thems were the days...

5 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Same age as me then @AshtonGreat - what a time it was. Also a defining part of that season for me was bunking out of school on crudely forged "town pass" to go to Revolver Records on the triangle to pick up this newish fanzine called The Bountyhunter

I knew it'd never catch on. 

I was always a Replay Records man myself, but the Bountyhunter... If that's the fanzine I'm thinking of, that was bloody brilliant!

Everything i wanted to say has been said already but bloody hell what a season that was! What a team! And heroes all of 'em!!

My overriding memory of that season - an away win at Shrewsbury, old Gay Meadow, our friend and left wing flyer Smudger with the winner, smashed in from 2 yards out last min (?) in front of the travelling masses, old corrugated roof as i remember, sloped from front to back, not much left after we finished celebrating!

And that's what sticks with me after all these years, me and my mates travelled everywhere following these boys in red, they never gave up, a game was never lost, even if (rarely) we fell behind, the fans never panicked but more importantly, the team never panicked. We were always in a game and that game at Shrewsbury told you everything about their character, passion and commitment for the shirt.

A brilliant team, fabulous team spirit, characters, heroes, legends (for me anyway...).  Thank you for the video and the memories. :city:

5 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

That last sentence rings so true.

A couple more personal memories from that season:

- Buying one of those ghastly yellow away shirts after we beat Chelsea 3-1 in the FA Cup, then immediately cowering behind a car while about 2,000 Chelsea fans marched past me, shepherded by what seemed like five police.

- Feeling frustrated and disappointed that on our big day in front of the national TV cameras (against Chelsea), my hero Bob Taylor had an off day, miskicking in front of the East End, while Robbie Turner got all the plaudits.

- Bob 'n' Rob inexplicably wearing sweatbands, and always tossing them into the crowd after games.

- Always wanting to go to the Captain's Cabin restaurant in Weston, just because City players sometimes dined there.

- Standing at the bar in Spirals in Yate one Friday night, shaking my head in disbelief that we'd lost 6-0 at Tranmere.

- Radio Bristol's impossible 'mystery voice' competition.

- Cutting out black and white match reports from the Evening Post to go in my scrap book.

- Roger Malone.

Ahhh thems were the days...

Agh the sweatbands and into the crowd without fail. Remember Roger up in the gantry above the Williams and all the City boys singing he was a wanka and him being frightened to come down after the game!!

Chelsea mob the most scared I've ever been at AG and Rod from Eastenders getting lamped in the car park before the game. How the times have a changed. Remember listening to Radio Bristol and crying when we got hammered at Trumpton 

6 minutes ago, shelts said:

Agh the sweatbands and into the crowd without fail. Remember Roger up in the gantry above the Williams and all the City boys singing he was a wanka and him being frightened to come down after the game!!

Chelsea mob the most scared I've ever been at AG and Rod from Eastenders getting lamped in the car park before the game. How the times have a changed. Remember listening to Radio Bristol and crying when we got hammered at Trumpton 

Rod from Eastenders - I remember that story! Argh the 3-0 at Trumpton was horrible. And then I seem to remember after our last home game of the season, a wave of joy began to go around the ground as a rumour spread that Rovers had lost. It was false...

19 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Rod from Eastenders - I remember that story! Argh the 3-0 at Trumpton was horrible. And then I seem to remember after our last home game of the season, a wave of joy began to go around the ground as a rumour spread that Rovers had lost. It was false...

I remember that hope...

8 hours ago, shelts said:

I remember that hope...

Haha I'd gone round to the front of the Dolman to get on the pitch, weren't the gas up at Blackpool that day? Everyone singing "and now you're gonna believe us, we're gonna win the league!" but alas it was not to be. No Sky Sports app in them days! 

9 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

I was always a Replay Records man myself, but the Bountyhunter... If that's the fanzine I'm thinking of, that was bloody brilliant!

Spoilt for choice back then, Revolver on the Triangle (later became an Indian restaurant?) Replay, Rayners (top of Park St before Oriental House) Rival and Tony's Records (?) next to Uncle Sam's further down the same side back when Park  actually good. 

Oh, and by the way The Bountyhunter is still bloody brilliant! @EnclosureSurge will verify that. Probably. 

9 hours ago, shelts said:

I remember seeing him

And being told at school he got a kicking

That footage brings back so many memories from that season. Gavin's trickery. Smith's pace. Rennie's calmness. Taylor's goals. Shelton's grit. The excitement of standing behind the goal in the East End (I was 16 at the the time and loved every minute).

I had completely forgotten about us getting thumped in the cup at Cambridge. Most vivid memory - when Taylor stroked the ball into the empty net vs Swindon.

Archived