IGNORED

Government remain unconvinced by safe standing.

JHAGa

The report - an annual update to the Department for Culture, Media and Sport's 'Sporting Future: A New Strategy for an Active Nation' - also highlighted that the Premier League had honoured their commitment to at least double their investment in grassroots football with at least £100m a year of funding.

At this point it is £168 million over three seasons.

It will be  £100 million for three seasons from next year. One Paul Pogba a season.

However the contribution as a % of tv income has dropped. The next TV deal is a meagre £5.bn over three seasons.

Why must they continue to refer to Hillsborough? Standing wasn't the issue. 

If you put 10 people into my living room and ask them to stand there is no safety issue - because there aren't 1000. As long as there aren't too many people then it's just a matter of choice, not safety. 

Its just a catch-all excuse to prevent what fans want.

The people making the rules don't even go to football or prefer to sit.

How's it considered safe to have thousands standing at a rock concert then? No barriers, crush risk etc.

Its about who, not what.  

Its a disgrace. 

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

Why must they continue to refer to Hillsborough? Standing wasn't the issue. 

If you put 10 people into my living room and ask them to stand there is no safety issue - because there aren't 1000. As long as there aren't too many people then it's just a matter of choice, not safety. 

Its just a catch-all excuse to prevent what fans want.

The people making the rules don't even go to football or prefer to sit.

How's it considered safe to have thousands standing at a rock concert then? No barriers, crush risk etc.

Its about who, not what.  

Its a disgrace. 

what some fans want not what fans want! Bit presumptive of you

• SC&T Board Members
2 minutes ago, Southstandoriginal said:

That's right. Traditional terraces are considered safe if a league 1 match is being played and potential death traps if it's a Championship fixture. #governmentlogic

But only after 3 years at that level. See: Brentford and Burton. Perfectly safe for now, even in the perilous Championship! #governmentlogic

12 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Which is exactly why any areas safe standing potentially may be installed will be given careful consideration.. but as long as you're alright that's all that matters!!

2 hours ago, iamsober said:

I accept that but not where I am sitting!

NIMBY!!

1 hour ago, Blagdon red said:

But only after 3 years at that level. See: Brentford and Burton. Perfectly safe for now, even in the perilous Championship! #governmentlogic

Just out of curiosity, using Brentford & Burton examples. 

(I believe Brentford move to their new ground next season??) but IF they didn't and IF Burton stayed up for 3 years, what happens if they aren't all seater..? Ground closure? Demotion? 

It's not worth thinking about anymore. Having just read experts from the government's parliamentary report on the FA and looked into those MPa who passed opinion, there is little hope for the game that I love to attend. Too many MPs who just simply get it wrong.

• SC&T Board Members
6 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Just out of curiosity, using Brentford & Burton examples. 

(I believe Brentford move to their new ground next season??) but IF they didn't and IF Burton stayed up for 3 years, what happens if they aren't all seater..? Ground closure? Demotion? 

Brentford are currently playing their 3rd season at tier 2 level, so technically should have to go all-seater this summer (assuming they stay in the division or get promoted). They are some way off moving to their new ground. I'm not sure that construction has even begun yet. So, like Cardiff did, they will no doubt seek to gain special dispensation to continue playing in the Championship with terraces until the new ground is finished. They may or may not get that. I think Cardiff got a two-year extension, but construction of their ground was further advanced at the time they applied for this than is the case at Brentford.

Burton are only playing their first year at tier 2, so would have to stay up and play two further seasons at this level before the all-seater rule applied to them.

The rule has never been tested by a club failing to go all-seater when it is supposed to, but the consequence woud be that the Sports Ground Safety Authority would not give the ground a licence. The short-term solution for a club in that situation would, I guess, be to agree to make their terraces out of bounds and only use their seated stands. If they did that, i guess they would get the licence, as the law says that a ground subject to the standing restrictions must "provide seated accommodation only". It doesn't say the whole ground has to have seats. So, as long as the only accommodation being provided to spectators was seats, they ought to get their licence.

26 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

Brentford are currently playing their 3rd season at tier 2 level, so technically should have to go all-seater this summer (assuming they stay in the division or get promoted). They are some way off moving to their new ground. I'm not sure that construction has even begun yet. So, like Cardiff did, they will no doubt seek to gain special dispensation to continue playing in the Championship with terraces until the new ground is finished. They may or may not get that. I think Cardiff got a two-year extension, but construction of their ground was further advanced at the time they applied for this than is the case at Brentford.

Burton are only playing their first year at tier 2, so would have to stay up and play two further seasons at this level before the all-seater rule applied to them.

The rule has never been tested by a club failing to go all-seater when it is supposed to, but the consequence woud be that the Sports Ground Safety Authority would not give the ground a licence. The short-term solution for a club in that situation would, I guess, be to agree to make their terraces out of bounds and only use their seated stands. If they did that, i guess they would get the licence, as the law says that a ground subject to the standing restrictions must "provide seated accommodation only". It doesn't say the whole ground has to have seats. So, as long as the only accommodation being provided to spectators was seats, they ought to get their licence.

In Brentford's case then (I thought their new ground was all but ready) surely they have had adequate notice to get their ground up to the required standard and I'd imagine not being allowed to use the terracing would be the "punishment" which would really cripple their capacity. Although they've had notice and shouldn't be allowed to just not conform to the rules, it's ludicrous that it's "been safe" enough until now, but come August it won't be safe enough!

At the end of the day though, them's the rules and it's not fair if they just don't have to abide by them. 

• SC&T Board Members
40 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

In Brentford's case then (I thought their new ground was all but ready) surely they have had adequate notice to get their ground up to the required standard and I'd imagine not being allowed to use the terracing would be the "punishment" which would really cripple their capacity. Although they've had notice and shouldn't be allowed to just not conform to the rules, it's ludicrous that it's "been safe" enough until now, but come August it won't be safe enough!

At the end of the day though, them's the rules and it's not fair if they just don't have to abide by them. 

Them's the rules, but it would be unreasonable in my view to require a club that is in the process of building a new all-seater ground (though with provision built into the design for rail seating) to go to the expense of putting seats onto their terraces for just one or two seasons. That was clearly the view taken in Cardiff's case. As I said, whether the same view will be taken for Brentford remains to be seen. They may not be so fortunate, as I believe it will be for more than 2 seasons that they would need to stay at Griffin Park. If they don't get an exception, I'm sure they'll bolt very rudimentary seating onto their terraces (maybe a bit like in the old East End).

PS: Re notice, Brentford have been working on the new ground plans for years and years, but have been held up by the need for a compulsory purchase order to be served on one remaining property owner on the site of the new ground. That's now all sorted. So they've not been dragging their feet.

4 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

Them's the rules, but it would be unreasonable in my view to require a club that is in the process of building a new all-seater ground (though with provision built into the design for rail seating) to go to the expense of putting seats onto their terraces for just one or two seasons. That was clearly the view taken in Cardiff's case. As I said, whether the same view will be taken for Brentford remains to be seen. They may not be so fortunate, as I believe it will be for more than 2 seasons that they would need to stay at Griffin Park. If they don't get an exception, I'm sure they'll bolt very rudimentary seating onto their terraces (maybe a bit like in the old East End).

PS: Re notice, Brentford have been working on the new ground plans for years and years, but have been held up by the need for a compulsory purchase order to be served on one remaining property owner on the site of the new ground. That's now all sorted. So they've not been dragging their feet.

If Brentford have done all they can and work on the new stadium is well underway, then I'd fully expect them to get special dispensation. 

Now aren't people/the authorities missing a trick here..?

Terracing is not safe (in their eyes) they aren't sure about safe standing adding any real benefit. So, why not use Brentford's terraced areas as a full scale trial for a couple of seasons. Ala Celtic, with special dispensation as a trial site..?

Cost could be covered by every club wishing to install safe standing at their own grounds. Wouldn't be a lot to any individual club, assuming most are keen on the idea and willing to invest in the trial site. 

Archived