IGNORED

Beat That For A Full Debut!

handsofclay

Matty Taylor scored one and had two assists in his full debut yesterday. I cannot think of any previous striker who has made such an encouraging full debut for our club since Joe Royle. It has to be born in mind it was away from home too on the ground of a team pushing hard for the promotion play-offs.

Furthermore, I like his attitude. Apparently, he said that because he had missed a sitter, he deserved to also miss the coach home and did so. Although the fact Tammy Abraham was driving it might've played a part in his decision.

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Didn't John Galley score a hatrick on his debut in a 0-3 away win at Huddersfield?

That kinda trumps Taylor's full debut yesterday, but I admire your enthusiasm and MT is obviously looking a tidy addition for peanuts...

He scored a hat trick but without googling i thought it was Rotherham ?

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Didn't John Galley score a hatrick on his debut in a 0-3 away win at Huddersfield?

That kinda trumps Taylor's full debut yesterday, but I admire your enthusiasm and MT is obviously looking a tidy addition for peanuts...

Don't think that can be beaten for an away performance on full debut, but I did say since Joe Royle scored four V Middlesbrough in November, 1977 and Galley was before that.

6 minutes ago, BobbyC said:

He scored a hat trick but without googling i thought it was Rotherham ?

Huddersfield's local paper think his debut hatrick was against them...

http://www.examiner.co.uk/sport/football/news/nightmare-ray-galley-fires-hat-5045358

..but then they also say in the article that Bert Tann was our manager!!

Interestlngly though, Galley also scored a hatrick on his debut for Rotherham...top player

15 January 1938 City fielded a youngster, Alfie Rowles. He scored three at AG that day as City beat Exeter 4-0. Alfie went on to score twelve goals in his first six League games. Nearly eighty years on that record still stands.

If City are playing on Monday 15 Jan 2018, perhaps a minute's applause on the 80th minute?

12 minutes ago, 22A said:

15 January 1938 City fielded a youngster, Alfie Rowles. He scored three at AG that day as City beat Exeter 4-0. Alfie went on to score twelve goals in his first six League games. Nearly eighty years on that record still stands.

If City are playing on Monday 15 Jan 2018, perhaps a minute's applause on the 80th minute?

One of those players who might've become a big name had the war not intervened and robbed him, and us, of his best playing years.

6 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

So what we have learnt here, is that several posters can indeed 'beat that' for a full debut 

3 minutes ago, Libertine1 said:

Or that several posters can't read 

Thanks, Libertine1. As I stated in my first post: SINCE JOE ROYLE'S FULL DEBUT.

It is interesting to hear the other pre Royle debuts though. But it goes to show that Taylor possibly has made the most impressive contribution as a striker on full debut since 1977.

49 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Huddersfield's local paper think his debut hatrick was against them...

http://www.examiner.co.uk/sport/football/news/nightmare-ray-galley-fires-hat-5045358

..but then they also say in the article that Bert Tann was our manager!!

Interestlngly though, Galley also scored a hatrick on his debut for Rotherham...top player

"...  Bert Tann’s Bristol, "... really ?

7 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

It is interesting to hear the other pre Royle debuts though. But it goes to show that Taylor possibly has made the most impressive contribution as a striker on full debut since 1977.

Steve Torpey away at Grimsby.

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Steve Torpey away at Grimsby.

There have been quite a few who have scored on debut, as Torpey did, since Royle but not bag two assists as well. As the Grimsby game finished one all then obviously he didn't have any assists in that game. Good try though and at least it is in the right time frame.

10 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Isn't that a bit like Sky thinking there was no football before 1992?

There were equally impressive debuts as Joe Royle's, not sure why they don't count because they were pre-1977?

8 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

There have been quite a few who have scored on debut, as Torpey did, since Royle but not bag two assists as well. As the Grimsby game finished one all then obviously he didn't have any assists in that game. Good try though and at least it is in the right time frame.

As stated above, Greg Goodridge, bagged a couple on his debut, not sure if he got any assists but we scored 5 so there's a fair chance he may have.

More recently and not quite as impressive as Taylor was Wilbs who scored one and set up the other for Elliott at Sheffield United. 

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

We signed him from Rotherham, I was pretty sure the hatrick was vs Huddersfield, might have to do some quick research now!

Galley's debut was at Huddersfield on 16 December 1967 and he scored all 3 goals in a 3-0 win. Went on to score 16 that season. Great player for us.

6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Isn't that a bit like Sky thinking there was no football before 1992?

There were equally impressive debuts as Joe Royle's, not sure why they don't count because they were pre-1977?

Of course they count and I enjoyed reading the accounts of them and there is nothing wrong with people posting about them but 1977 is forty years ago. Prior to that the example of Galley that you provided was less than a decade earlier, so we have gone a very long time since seeing such an impressive debut from a striker... albeit it would've been more impressive still had the assists been goals and he had stuck that sitter away!

10 minutes ago, glynriley said:

As stated above, Greg Goodridge, bagged a couple on his debut, not sure if he got any assists but we scored 5 so there's a fair chance he may have.

More recently and not quite as impressive as Taylor was Wilbs who scored one and set up the other for Elliott at Sheffield United. 

I would put two goals, and possibly an assist or even three, above one goal and two assists. However, although I would class Goodridge as a forward player, he was more a winger than a striker.

2 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

I would put two goals, and possibly an assist or even three, above one goal and two assists. However, although I would class Goodridge as a forward player, he was more a winger than a striker.

Fair point. Can I include Colin Lee who after leaving us scored 4 on his debut v roverzzz

Just for a giggle!?!?!!

Archived