IGNORED

Why do you go to football?

The Original OTIB

Picking up on a comment elsewhere, it does make me wonder why some people keep going. The result could, maybe should have been better but it was actually a great day out. I met up with old mates, met some new supporters that I'd not spoken to before, saw a fantastic first half and a determined second half only let down by individual errors. Bonhomie, banter, good jokes, bad jokes, good beer, good support and an easy access stadium actually near a town centre. There was much to enjoy and there often is if you accept the totality of the day and the experience.

I go because it's my outlet from my busy day job, which at time is extremely stressful. I have been following City for just over 40 years and in that time I have seen many highs and lows. I enjoy going to meet with my mates, to discuss the up's and downs of our beloved football club. As like all of you, I love to see my team win, but at times it's not always the case especially over recent weeks. Will i ever stop going, no, as i enjoy my football days and nights.

You could argue it is cathartic.

You go and watch your team, in a tribe of similar-minded people. You shout and cheer, willing your side to defeat the other tribe. There is adrenalin, emotion, hope, fear, joy and disappointment.

The only problem is that as humans we have become more intelligent than these basic emotions allow for.

We are analyse.

We ruminate.

We lack a fundamental understanding of what football is, and a rational expectation of how it can satisfy us.

We expect it to entertain and satisfy us in a way that it impossible for the games to provide, in the context of being a member of only one tribe.

You cannot expect to win every week - and yet, on a subliminal level, that is what we all do.

:dunno:

tfj

29 minutes ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

**** off Tone - I can't handle you today.

:surrender:

tfj

Excellent, you have made mine worthwhile.

Why so touchy ? We all have to put up with you.

You can always use the ignore function and relax with Songs of Praise with the other patients.

Again like others have said, it's cathartic. It's a therapy almost. 

You shout, scream and be entertained (occasionally for City fans).

It's also about letting go of inhibitions. As a married mother (amongst other things), I can go along and shout and swear to my hearts content. It also helps break down stereotypes such as women can't/shouldn't do what the men do, hence why I'm even more eager to drink a pint and shout that the ref is a w****r.

20 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Again like others have said, it's cathartic. It's a therapy almost. 

You shout, scream and be entertained (occasionally for City fans).

It's also about letting go of inhibitions. As a married mother (amongst other things), I can go along and shout and swear to my hearts content. It also helps break down stereotypes such as women can't/shouldn't do what the men do, hence why I'm even more eager to drink a pint and shout that the ref is a w****r.

You sound like my kind of girl Peg

1 minute ago, Bcfc24 said:

I go to sing, shout and get behind my team, if more did this Ashton Gate might be a happier place. Too many go just to be entertained

Each to their own but I do find this "we must all sing" a bit tiresome. We all support our team in our own way and that's all that matters. If you want to sing then no problem, If you don't then no problem..

For me I've always been City through and through (although do have a soft spot for Arsenal) but living in Preston now, it's a 8 hour round trip to Ashton Gate so I rarely get to any home games. But I love this league as 14/15 teams in the league are within a 2 hour drive for me, and cup games have also been kind, so been able to go to a lot more games than normally would. Probably stupidly I still have a season ticket, although I may only see one or two games a year (If home Boxing Day or around New Year when visiting family in Bristol), but it's more to make sure I can get an away ticket, and preference for cup games, and should we go up, that demand would be higher.

I wish the club would offer both home and away season tickets, as I would definitely be a buyer of an away one.

I fell in love with all three major ball games when my father took me aged six and a bit to see City, Rovers, Bristol, Gloster CC and Somerset CC and still retain my enthusiasm in spite of the setbacks that we all experience. I'm glad that we support teams that don't win something every season because that means that we do not expect it all the time and makes the times that we do, that bit more special. However, it would be nice to see City, Bris and Glos in the top leagues challenging for titles and cups more often than we do.

The friendships made are good if not as permanent as I would sometimes like but it is great to walk into any stadium anywhere in the world and find like minded people who are only too willing to share an hour or so with me, so long as we can converse in a common language. The camaraderie of sports fans is one of the joys of life and at 73, I intend to continue as long as I possibly can. 

I've alway "gone to football" since was 12. I loved it first time and still love it now after 50 odd years.

The reasons are different now then way back then but meeting up with mates was and still is a huge part of the matchday experience. Back then it was lucky bags and chocolate logs and now it's a few beers before the game.

I really enjoy going and even a string of poor results doesn't deter me. When City were tumbling down the divisions I still attended just as all loyal City fans did. 

I guess I just love the game....

In the blood. Old man and Granddad both avid supporters.Must admit my two other soft spots (because I lived there) are Sheffield Wednesday and Torquay United but City will always come first. First date with the missus of 45 years was AG. Had a trial for them at 11 (failed miserably) Sponsored them when in First Division. I do believe we chose to follow City pre birth because in my case I was a very naughty boy in a previous life and needed teaching a lesson :laughcont::laughcont::laughcont: :city:

Several reasons for me;

- the most obvious is I love football, and there is something about the whole getting ready, packing the bag, filling up the flasks, Joe checking I've got the hot chocolate sachets, etc. Getting to the ground, buying a programme and reading a bit of it before the game.  Did that as a kid, do it today.  The getting ready, the anticipation etc is the bit I miss about not playing, not the playing itself.  Rituals and all that.

- the second one, is probably the one that most people people identify with...going to football with your dad / son / friends etc, in my case, Joe.  It's the outlet for our father / son bonding....and my swearing

- I also enjoy the people I sit around, new friends since starting to take Joe in 13/14 season.  I have decent football conversations with them.  They know their football and that is important to me.  If I felt every game was going to be like Reading away this season, I wouldn't bother.   We've followed each other from Atyeo wheelchair area to South Stand to Lansdown

- finally its cheap. Joe;s ST is £50, I go free.  I'd buy my own if I had too, but something would give at home to justify it, probably Sky!

i hate the build-up to the weekend when we're not at home.  I don't enjoy this forum as much after an away game, because I don't feel able to comment without being there.  I probably do 3 or 4 away per season.

- I don't go to boo, but I'm not a singer either, by the time I join in, it's usually tailing off!

10 minutes ago, BigTone said:

But you are a supporter all the same and that is all that matters. Fair play to you Sir.

Indeed I am.  Prior to starting to take Joe, I'd become a casual supporter, the odd trip to AG, watching highlights, the odd live coverage on Sky etc, with tonnes and tonnes of Premier League football on tv, which I was starting to get bored with. 13/14 became the watershed and the realisation that there is life outside of the Premier and it's taken a real grip on me since.  There is something about following your local club outside of the top tier that's get a hold of you.  Should we ever get to the top flight, I wonder if that will change?

Archived