IGNORED

19 February 1974

Jerseybean

On 19th February 1974 I was one of of the 47,182. Who else witnessed this remarkable event?  Which is captured brilliantly here: http://www.mightyleeds.co.uk/matches/19740219.htm

Forty three years on, almost to the day, and I have not experienced many such special moments as a City fan!  I remember our win at Elland Road being a headline on the BBC national news and all over the front pages of the papers the next day.

I was just 17 and when we scored (Donnie Gillies 73rd minute) I went completely berserk and nobody, absolutely nobody, anywhere near me moved.....the young, naive boyhood me suddenly realised I was surrounded by thousands of Leeds fans!

Be great to hear other memories of this famous win and equally good for us to repeat it tomorrow night.

Great memories. It was played on a midweek afternoon because of the three day weeks at the time. I was only 10 and my Nan was looking after me as my Mum worked close by in a Grocer's shop. I kept running backwards and forwards to the shop to tell Mum how we were doing despite her having absolutely no interest ! One of the great moments when Donnie scored the winner. Saw the first game as well down at the gate. I had to stand on a wooden stool in the open end ! Can you imagine that now ?

I was 15 and, as it was half term, I travelled up to Liverpool the day before to stay with my brother who was at University there and living in Toxteth.

We caught a train to Leeds on the Wednesday morning - it was an early afternoon ko due to the power crisis and the 3 day week - and, wanting to remain incognito, quickly paid to get in at the first turnstile we came to.

We found ourselves in a side enclosure nowhere near the City fans, and in the midst of the most passionate and intimidating crowd I've ever been in.

When Gillies scored we didn't move a muscle, in fact we didn't even speak until we were well away from the ground afterwards. Other fans I spoke to after the event told me the Leeds fans didn't exactly take defeat well and were attacking any City fan they could find, so just as well!

This was a truly momentous victory against by far the best team in the country, packed with experienced internationals - no weakened teams for the Cup in those days - who were top of the league and unbeaten in 29 matches, and who went on to win the top league a few months later.

As you say It was all over the front page of the papers the next day, and rightly so, the result was a seismic shock to the football world, and still stands as probably the most memorable victory in all my time supporting City.

As stated above, the game was on a Tuesday afternoon. I was working in South Wales until the early hours of that morning, so there was no wayI could get back to Bristol in time to pick up the transport, not to mention a ticket.

Near Bristol Bridge that afternoon, not many people about and one desperate EP seller started shouting "Man has a baby". Then the news filtered through from Elland Road and people ran out of shops & houses shouting out the score and cheering. There was a real feel good factor in pubs across town that night.

When the draw for the 4th round was made someone turned to Gerry Gow and said "That means you'll be marking Billy Bremner". GG replied "I'm a Scot aren't I and I'm as good as him aren't I"? That's when I just KNEW City would beat Leeds. After the 1-1 draw atAG, Don Revie told the press "I thought one goal would be enough to beat Bristol City".

Partly as a result of the replaywin, Don Gillies and Gerry Gow were selected for the Scotland U23 team.

Archived