IGNORED

I can't handle another season in league one / Would you renew your season ticket? (Merged)

formerly known as ivan

3 minutes ago, ciderbeans said:

If we do go down, we will have a bloody good squad full of promising youngsters to watch. O'dowda, engvall, brownhill, Moore, vyner, Kelly, lucic, Taylor, de girolamo, Jonny smith, Patterson to name a few. I'm sure hegeler and djuric would stay for another season so we would certainly see positive results.

financially however it would be s disaster to be relegated

Nothing like a winning mentality what ever league we are in...agreed financially it would not be ideal, that is why it's strange SL seems to be gambling on Lee, you would think with his Insurance background he might think this particular policy has little benefits.

14 hours ago, Sepp Blatter said:

And that is where I feel we're heading? How can someone who has only won 1 football game in 17 attempts keep their job? How can you justify changing the formation of a team that scores 3 against Derby? How can you justify dropping the player that scored 1 and assisted 2 in his first full debut? Hamstring I hear you say? Well in that case how can you justify him coming on and playing 3/4 of the game!! Or even being of the bench? How can you justify spending a total of £5.5m of 2 players that don't play? One arguably our best centre back and the other has hardly been given a chance. How can you justify selling Luke Ayling with our defensive issues? How can you justify the lack of passion? How can you justify the lack of improvement with all the money that has been spent? I could continue...

I'm sick and tired of hearing "knee jerk this and knee jerk that". I'm sick of it. Only Bristol City can take a double winning squad and tear it to shreds. Tear the team spirit and soul out of it, and employ an ex player who was so marmite during his playing career that you could literally spread him on toast. A manager than had zero, yes, zero experience in managing a team in one of the most competitive leagues in the world. 

Can someone please justify why this guy still has a job when all I can see is failure? And please Lee, if you're reading this, believe me, you aren't hurting as much as anyone, because if you were hurting as much as this fan, you would leave for the sake of the club. 

I'm not usually one who jumps on the sack the manager band waggon as you want a manager to be given the time to sort a mess out, especially if it's from the previous incumbant, but in this case it seems be mostly (bar a little bad luck maybe) of his own doing.

Whether it's all his fault or not a managerial change for me will give us more chance of staying up than staying as we are.

Joining the gas in the division below can't happen

1 hour ago, supercidered said:

I hate to think it, let alone type this but, what if they pass us on the way? Relegation, though a real possibility and would be a disgrace given everything that has been posted reference squad, investment and stadium. If we were passed by that f@ckin lot of inbred, sister six toes.... I just couldn't bear it.:badmood:

Me neither. 

7 hours ago, samo II said:

Just for the record, Roe; after 31 games last year we had 31 points (see below), so as it stands right now, we're only fractionally better off (yes; our goal difference is markedly better, but not sure that's much comfort).

That was also after we'd just won three out of six, including Charlton and Ipswich on the bounce; the latter being LJ's first proper game.

We then went on to win four out of the next eight to leave us in a strong position to stay up; I'm unsure we look fixed to hit that sort of form anytime soon, and unfortunately we need a run like that to pull away.  Anything less and we'll be in this fight still come mid-March.

I'm not here screaming and yelling about things, but it is very hard to keep the faith when in near exactly a year in charge of us, all LJ has managed to do is replicate the situation he picked us up in last year, albeit with a richer set of playing resources to call on.

Faith isn't needed now; results are.  LJ came into a difficult situation not of his making, but it's entirely fair to question him now when he's led us into a strikingly similar one, but with fewer greener shoots that at this time last year (i.e. the three wins in five after SC left).

I don't think LJ is going anywhere, but unfortunately think the same can be said of our form.  Hope he proves me wrong, but not sure there is much evidence to support the likelihood of that.

EDIT: Also worth noting that last year at this point we had a five point buffer on 22nd place; it's only three this year.  I mentioned a while ago we'll probably need closer to 50 points than 45 to stay up this season, and think results of the bottom three are baring this out.

IMG_3053.PNG

It's also worth noting that MK Dons had the same points as us this time last season (31 from 31) and went down. Replacing a Warnock led Rotherham in the bottom three.

I don't want to be watching League 1 football next season (yes, I would renew providing the price of my ticket reflected the level of football) but it's going to be 'touch and go'.

At the moment i would have to no. Come next season i would probably waiver and buy one. Lord knows why i pay to get frustrated though. What really frustrates is we never seem to kick on from a promotion season. If any things going to stop me its the traffic and parking situation, it just seems to get worse by the week. 

3 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

Nothing like a winning mentality what ever league we are in...agreed financially it would not be ideal, that is why it's strange SL seems to be gambling on Lee, you would think with his Insurance background he might think this particular policy has little benefits.

LITTLE benefits like it!

10 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Entitlement, we have a divine right for more and I'll never go again, is pretty much the majority of the thread.

If you go and support the team does it matter what league we are actually in as long as the team are still playing competitive football?

Or is it more a case of people wanting to be dazzled by star names, rather than going for the craic? 

Genuine question

They're interesting questions Ralph. In the main it's not mattered to me down the years which league we are in...and we've mostly been in Div 3 (or equivalent) in most of the years I've had the free time and money to get to games. But after the best part of 40 years spending wages watching City, sometimes the majority of matches, sometimes very few, I find I really do enjoy watching a decent game of football between talented players...and I don't much enjoy encounters like the one we had against Crawley a few years back. I honestly think I've watched all the lower league dross I can take....Mansfield, Carlisle, York, Colchester, Chesterfield...been to them all and many more besides...Grimsby, Torquay, Bury, Stockport...It was great fun once. But not now. So I'll pick and choose matches if we go down.

I don't think that makes me a glory fan, I don't think City have any divine right to play at a higher level although I happen to think that very few people who saw us walk off the pitch in out last top flight match at the Gate in 1980 would have believed that 37 years later we'd be nowhere near a return. 

I'll be very disappointed if we go down...what a wasted opportunity! City will always be my team but I suspect that for me and many others there'll be something more compelling to do on a matchday than watch us play Rochdale.

6 hours ago, Rascal said:

You'll handle it if it happens, you've got to you've no choice, I think the reason we all spend fortunes on watching our club is because we love them and enjoy football, we all have match day routines, family members and friends we go to games with, people we hardly know but interact with through our mutual love of our team and game, we spend hours talking, reading, writing, and thinking about ours club, that's not going to change because your losing games, or you're playing in a different league, you're a football fan, you're a City fan, and you always will be. 

Sometimes wish I could "shake the disease".....

Without any doubt.

The kids - even the girls - would never forgive me.

And over a lifetime things tend to even themselves out. Wembley and promotion one year, a bad season with possible relegation the next.

Division One for a few seasons. Insolvent a few years later.

And if nothing else it gives the kids a lesson for life. Nothing is easy or guaranteed. Persistence and determination are qualities. Once bitten or smitten you never change.

I'd sign up now. 

I have never really understood the 'not going' argument based on which division a team is in (and tbf to the OP, he is not saying he will stay away, just that he may not renew his ST) surely your team is your team- not matter what division or league they are in, I would imagine most people who attend football matches are there to support their club, rather than for the quality of football on offer, and even then I would argue that you can see more enjoyable games at lower levels, technical ability isn't the be all and end all.

9 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I have never really understood the 'not going' argument based on which division a team is in (and tbf to the OP, he is not saying he will stay away, just that he may not renew his ST) surely your team is your team- not matter what division or league they are in, I would imagine most people who attend football matches are there to support their club, rather than for the quality of football on offer, and even then I would argue that you can see more enjoyable games at lower levels, technical ability isn't the be all and end all.

Yes, but you'd have to say that, Miah, being a Gashead ;)

No, for me, it's more and more hassle getting to the Gate for less and less reward. The Mem is five minutes walk, but I do have some standards still :whistle2:

I'm afraid I would be a 'no' if we survive or go down. I have a requirement to be 'on weekend call' 2 weeks out of 4 from April and it just wouldn't warrant the expense.

When I'm not 'on call' I will go anyway but I can warrant a SC next season after 42 years of having one. :( It's not like there won't be room is it?

18 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Someone please print this lower league, loser-mindset, tinpot rubbish out and pin it up in the AG boardroom as a reminder of what we are about - no matter how deluded or unlikely - and why only one club in Bristol has ever come anywhere near to doing anything remotely creditable and notable in English football, even if for just nine fleeting seasons, and ending in ignominy and humiliation last time. Football is about the glory for me, or at least chasing it, and there aint no glory in League ****ing One. Better to live nine seasons like a tiger (then crash and burn) than 130 odd like Bristol Rovers.

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

The "not going" argument relates not to people who will go to literally every match, every season, but those who might pick & choose which matches they attend. We know that both City and Rovers have an army of casual fans who can pack Wembley on occasion. If I'd built a 27k seat stadium I'd be looking to fill it, which means converting the casual fans into regulars. Fair play to the Rovers fans who went to every home match in the Conference...but my friends and family would think be more than a little strange if I had nothing better to do every other week than watch my side play Braintree. I would think hard about renewing if we got relegated not because I'd wander off and support another football club, but because there might be better ways to spend time and money than committing to watching lower league football...I'd prefer to pitch up on a match by match basis...

53 minutes ago, Robbored said:

How anyone can not renew their season card because of relegation is beyond me.

I would renew regardless of what league City are in. City are my club - end of and will always have my support.

Just in case anyone misunderstood my earlier post, due to work commitments, , it's not worth my renewing, regardless of division. LJ still being in situ might well have meant a year off regardless as I just don't rate him but that's another issue.

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

Someone please print this lower league, loser-mindset, tinpot rubbish out and pin it up in the AG boardroom as a reminder of what we are about - no matter how deluded or unlikely - and why only one club in Bristol has ever come anywhere near to doing anything remotely creditable and notable in English football, even if for just nine fleeting seasons, and ending in ignominy and humiliation last time. Football is about the glory for me, or at least chasing it, and there aint no glory in League ****ing One. Better to live nine seasons like a tiger (then crash and burn) than 130 odd like Bristol Rovers.

Good job a fair few City fans didn't think like this when you were in division 4 then.

13 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Good job a fair few City fans didn't think like this when you were in division 4 then.

I didn't think like this back then. Like the conference to you lot 2 years ago, the 4th division was a novelty, and something we of a certain vintage look back on warmly because we didn't **** about and got ourselves promoted.

We wouldn't think like this if we had had 25 years of it, like we have L1.

Archived