IGNORED

Rob Biff Newman

MC RISK77

Just read on the sky sports app transfer news section that Man Utd are trying to prise away Man City's chief scout and transfer guru Rob Newman.

i had no idea biff had such an important role at such a huge club.

one of my favourite players from when I first watched city in mid 80's, great to see he has stayed in the game for so long.

Elegant player. Good shot on him too. He was far too good for us and I wasn't surprised he went on to a better team Norwich. 

With one caveat.  Thought he might actually go further and really make it big.

But glad to have seen him in City shirt. Would have walked into today's team 

Stevo 

17 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Legend. Came into the side when we were at our lowest ebb and became a stalwart of the fantastic 89/90 promotion year, mainly alongside Psycho in central defence. Didn't realise he was so important in the game nowadays thought. Blimey. Good shout @MC RISK77

Scored a few goals too.

I got Rob Newman's autograph in 1983 it must have been. Think I was 9 or 10 years old as I blocked his path down the player's tunnel, pen and program in hand.

Not sure what game it was, but I used to stand behind the home dugout, so always got an up close and personal view of the players. The smell of the deep heat was quite overpowering!

2 hours ago, WayOutWest said:

Elegant player. Good shot on him too. He was far too good for us and I wasn't surprised he went on to a better team Norwich. 

Stevo 

I think his versatility hampered his progress as he could, and did, play in almost any position except goalkeeper. If he had just stuck to his best position, whatever it was, he might have had an even better career 

2 hours ago, WayOutWest said:

Stevo 

IMHO he did make it 'big'

Remember Norwich were a top 6-8 Top Division side when he played for them 

Adid their European run , Bayern etc

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

I think his versatility hampered his progress as he could, and did, play in almost any position except goalkeeper. If he had just stuck to his best position, whatever it was, he might have had an even better career 

And that was the problem, no one knew! Mr Versatile certainly, equally good at CB or in central midfield, and also a more than capable full back.

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Until Tomlin's goal last season Newman had scored the best goal if seen at AG (v Newport).

my best goal was a topey rocket from about 30 or 40 yards out into the top corner, I think it was against Scunthorpe or some one like that, beadle not to be out done hit another about 5 minute later

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

my best goal was a topey rocket from about 30 or 40 yards out into the top corner, I think it was against Scunthorpe or some one like that, beadle not to be out done hit another about 5 minute later

Matt Bryant v Stoke 94. Strode forward from halfway and then unleashed hell. Was right behind it and worried the net would break!

1 hour ago, steveybadger said:

Matt Bryant v Stoke 94. Strode forward from halfway and then unleashed hell. Was right behind it and worried the net would break!

I missed that game because I was in the Navy and on deployment at the time. I got a letter (no e-mails in them days!!) From a mate of mine who actually drew a description of the goal.

42 minutes ago, Strawberry2157. said:

Maybe he was already working for City then as Aguero left for City not long after I think

Yes quite possibly, although I think you, me and anyone with half a brain, never mind their head of european scouting, could have told Man C he'd be a good signing!

You'd like to think the people currently running BCFC work hard at cultivating links with ex-players still working in the game, certainly ones who hold significant positions at major clubs. But there's a part of me that wonders whether anyone at Ashton Gate is even aware that Biff played for us.   

Archived