IGNORED

Breakfast with Steve (Merged)

BigAl&Toby

ok well I'm back and here's how it went

Firstly there was a bacon roll so that's an improvement! , Steve is undoubtedly a fantastic business man, the story of Hargreaves Lansdown is nothing short of incredible it must be one, if not the most successful business partnerships in the world. It really could be made into a film. The fact he comes from our part of the world makes it even more special. I admire him greatly and would never question his business acumen, I will take on board what he said today and try to implement things that I don't already do in my own business.

Here's where things get confusing. Many of the essentials in business that Steve highlighted as key areas for success such as 'focus on what your clients actually want', 'listen to what people are saying' , 'do not hide away when the situation goes bad' , don't be afraid to make a difficult dission that will effect you but will benefit your business' , 'do not be afraid to own up and say you have made a mistake'. All these statements it seems to me are ones he has not used it was almost like he should listen to his own keys for success and then act by them , it left me wondering what I was listening to, very strange to be honest.

Then we moved on and a question was asked about the effects that relegation of the football or the rugby or indeed both would have on Bristol sport. The answer was in my opinion poor, Obviously Steve wants to keep the belief but he answered weakly, 'There will be an impact of attendance dropping off in the football but I think once the initial reaction has gone people will get over it, and being at the top of league one wont be bad as it will restore confidence, where the rugby is concerned attendances have not been what were expected , because we have been away from the top league for so long the interest has been diluted. we need to do a proper sales drive on rugby in Bristol and really generate the interest, being back in the championship with the side we have could go some way to achieving that.' He did finish by saying he hopes that neither club will be relegated .

The worrying thing I took away is Bristol Sport has become the 'business' and where as I'm Bristolian I'm delighted that sport in our city has actually become important to somebody and got a massive boost by this company it really has become the most important thing. Making this company a true success, making a profit , employing staff, reaching out into the community , helping people from all walks of life and a legacy for the Lansdown family, all fantastic and very commendable. Don't get me wrong I want all Bristol sport to succeed but first and foremost i'm a Bristol City fan and that is where my priority lands, I want 100 % focus on everything Bristol City , for the management to live and breath BCFC and do everything it takes on a daily basis to kick and scream and fight to win and i'm afraid that now this will never be the case the focus and effort will be spread across the diversity and every division of the Bristol Sport company and I believe that at the moment that cannot be a positive thing for either of the flagship clubs under the umbrella but in particular Bristol City FC.

There were no questions on the Management of BCFC.

19 minutes ago, EASTEND WURZEL said:

ok well I'm back and here's how it went

Firstly there was a bacon roll so that's an improvement! , Steve is undoubtedly a fantastic business man, the story of Hargreaves Lansdown is nothing short of incredible it must be one, if not the most successful business partnerships in the world. It really could be made into a film. The fact he comes from our part of the world makes it even more special. I admire him greatly and would never question his business acumen, I will take on board what he said today and try to implement things that I don't already do in my own business.

Here's where things get confusing. Many of the essentials in business that Steve highlighted as key areas for success such as 'focus on what your clients actually want', 'listen to what people are saying' , 'do not hide away when the situation goes bad' , don't be afraid to make a difficult dission that will effect you but will benefit your business' , 'do not be afraid to own up and say you have made a mistake'. All these statements it seems to me are ones he has not used it was almost like he should listen to his own keys for success and then act by them , it left me wondering what I was listening to, very strange to be honest.

Then we moved on and a question was asked about the effects that relegation of the football or the rugby or indeed both would have on Bristol sport. The answer was in my opinion poor, Obviously Steve wants to keep the belief but he answered weakly, 'There will be an impact of attendance dropping off in the football but I think once the initial reaction has gone people will get over it, and being at the top of league one wont be bad as it will restore confidence, where the rugby is concerned attendances have not been what were expected , because we have been away from the top league for so long the interest has been diluted. we need to do a proper sales drive on rugby in Bristol and really generate the interest, being back in the championship with the side we have could go some way to achieving that.' He did finish by saying he hopes that neither club will be relegated .

The worrying thing I took away is Bristol Sport has become the 'business' and where as I'm Bristolian I'm delighted that sport in our city has actually become important to somebody and got a massive boost by this company it really has become the most important thing. Making this company a true success, making a profit , employing staff, reaching out into the community , helping people from all walks of life and a legacy for the Lansdown family, all fantastic and very commendable. Don't get me wrong I want all Bristol sport to succeed but first and foremost i'm a Bristol City fan and that is where my priority lands, I want 100 % focus on everything Bristol City , for the management to live and breath BCFC and do everything it takes on a daily basis to kick and scream and fight to win and i'm afraid that now this will never be the case the focus and effort will be spread across the diversity and every division of the Bristol Sport company and I believe that at the moment that cannot be a positive thing for either of the flagship clubs under the umbrella but in particular Bristol City FC.

There were no questions on the Management of BCFC.

Thanks for attending and reporting back. 

I think you've said all I've thought and feared.

SL has clearly been very successful in his area of expertise. I'm sure he has honourable intentions with Bristol Sport - although I'm unclear what they really might be.

I've seen many successful businessmen try and make the move from business to football. Most if not all have failed. They've had their moment walking about with a **** off cigar and putting money into the clubs I've seen them at but sustainable long term success for any of the clubs hasn't followed.

That's my concern here. BCFC is now nothing more than a name. The days of it truly being a football club are now a distant memory.

We get treated like idiots and week in week out get nothing more than shit performances, followed by the usual "for sure I'm hurting too" bollocks.

It'll never be the same and I for one regret that. SL has a big part to play in that.

We might have the use of great facilities. We might have a statue to remind us of times gone by.

We don't have a lot more. Unless being part of the Bristol Sport franchise or Pula Sports is what we wanted :(

1 hour ago, Derek from Nailsea said:

Have you not seen us recently as only win since Ipswich at Home & a record number of record defeats subsequently was a lucky win against the worse Championship side ever in Rotherham.

Yes I'm fully aware and I've been to most of them. I'm just not sure how the Rugby are better placed to avoid relegation than a team who are yet to have even entered the relegation zone. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not backing anything/one, I'm just saying that the Rugby are not more likely than us to stay up, imo. 

For the record, I think we will stay up, just. 

2 hours ago, bearded_red said:

Good, some more empty words that mean absolutely nothing. 

We needed a few more of them.

:clap:

Asked about possible relegation of BCFC/BRFC. "I won't let them go down" @stephenlansdow1 Also discussing impact on @Bristol_Sport business

Whilst I admire and am grateful for his continued support of BCFC you can see where LJ gets his delusion thought's.

SL's "I won't let them go down" Is an absolute bag of bollocks. A categorical statement presented at a business forum that he just can't back up. So Steve please tell us, the lifeblood of this club how you will 'cast iron' achieve this? 

I'm sick to death of words. We need actions and now

1 hour ago, EASTEND WURZEL said:

'There will be an impact of attendance dropping off in the football but I think once the initial reaction has gone people will get over it, and being at the top of league one wont be bad as it will restore confidence'

He actually said that? 

Jesus ******* wept. 

• Admin
47 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Yes I'm fully aware and I've been to most of them. I'm just not sure how the Rugby are better placed to avoid relegation than a team who are yet to have even entered the relegation zone. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not backing anything/one, I'm just saying that the Rugby are not more likely than us to stay up, imo. 

Like I mentioned on the rugby thread elsewhere, I'm convinced nobody is coming up from the Championship hence the reason all the top coaches and players are signing for next season

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

He actually said that? 

Jesus ******* wept. 

What worries me the most with that B86, is that if we get related we will do something silly like leave LJ at the helm, and then end up bottom of league 1, like under SOD. Why SL thinks if we get relegated we will be top of league 1 is beyond me. We will lose half the squad for sure, it will be history repeating itself, it will take a nasty basket case like cotts to come back in and install some pride back into the club to get us back up again. 

For me that's the most disappointing thing I have heard from our club in 40 years :grr:

2 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

He actually said that? 

Jesus ******* wept. 

He is spot on though. Season ticket sales will be hit but if (a big if) we are back in League One and top of the league we will be getting crowds of 16/17k.

I don't want to contemplate being back in the division but what he says is very accurate in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, The_Don said:

He is spot on though. Season ticket sales will be hit but if (a big if) we are back in League One and top of the league we will be getting crowds of 16/17k.

I don't want to contemplate being back in the division but what he says is very accurate in my opinion.

It's not about the accuracy of the attendance figures, it's about the arrogance of the 'so what' approach towards relegation. 

And that's before we consider the ignorance of assuming we'll be anywhere near the top of league one.

Because that worked SO well last time. 

Absolutely shambolic if those were his genuine thoughts on the matter and says everything about the attitude towards success at this club. 

6 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It's not about the accuracy of the attendance figures, it's about the arrogance of the 'so what' approach towards relegation. 

And that's before we consider the ignorance of assuming we'll be anywhere near the top of league one.

Because that worked SO well last time. 

Absolutely shambolic if those were his genuine thoughts on the matter and says everything about the attitude towards success at this club. 

I agree with you, just giving my perspective on his response.

20 hours ago, phantom said:

Like I mentioned on the rugby thread elsewhere, I'm convinced nobody is coming up from the Championship hence the reason all the top coaches and players are signing for next season

Oh really..?!

That wouldn't be a surprise with the shambolic format of the Rugby league. 

19 hours ago, EASTEND WURZEL said:

'we brought Lee in for a particular reason , and I think we're seeing that'

stuck in "corporate" mode i'm sad to say , those would not be the words of someone with the best interests of BCFC in mind. :sad26:

It's not good is it?

I my opinion the players and the manager are the 'leaders' and the fans are the followers.

Does a good general ever blame his troops??

I think that is what Steve is doing, and he appears to have forgotten the fans PAY MONEY to be entertained - we are not his bloody employees, who have to nod and agree with him.

Steve IS a BCFC legend, because of the amazing support he has given BCFC, no-one questions that. I love BCFC dearly, but in his position I would probably not have given so much of my wealth to City. In that respect he is a better fan than me - much better.

It's the denial aspect I mind hard to stomach.

This interview reminds me of a union rep I once knew - he was also in total denial, and could, or would not see anything bad for what it was. It makes me cringe.

If Steve is prepared to let City get relegated, because of his loyalty to LJ, then this shows to me he thinks certain individuals are bigger than the club - himself included.

Club first.

:disapointed2se:

tfj

Archived