IGNORED

Foreign manager please

And Its Smith

41 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Huddersfield, Reading, Hull, Southampton, Middlesbrough, Fulham, Sheffield Wednesday, Watford have all had various degrees of success by appointing foreign managers.  

The average football fan wouldn't have heard of the majority of these appointments so I believe the 'who should we appoint next' posts are a bit pointless.  There will be foreign managers out there who have had success abroad that would come here for 500k-1m per year.  

Time for Ashton to consider this route as a way to success.  

Agree foreign coaches should be considered, but you make it sound like a pre-requisite. The 'right' manager might be a Brit.

43 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Huddersfield, Reading, Hull, Southampton, Middlesbrough, Fulham, Sheffield Wednesday, Watford have all had various degrees of success by appointing foreign managers.  

The average football fan wouldn't have heard of the majority of these appointments so I believe the 'who should we appoint next' posts are a bit pointless.  There will be foreign managers out there who have had success abroad that would come here for 500k-1m per year.  

Time for Ashton to consider this route as a way to success.  

Time for Ashton to go back to Oxford. Sorry but he has to take a lot of responsibility. 

For every successful foreign manager there is unsuccessful foreign manager, for example Guy Luzon, Karel Fraeye and Jose Riga all at Charlton, Felix Mageth at Fulham, Ole Gunnar Solskjar at Cardiff just to name a few

Whatever we go with, foreign or domestic picking a new manager is always a shot in a dark and none can guarantee success. 

Be surprised if there was a foreign coach who we could expect to come in and save us from the drop (Unlikely to have any knowledge of Championship) so if we want to try and save ourselves from the drop I'm sceptical

If we accept relegation is likely whatever I'd be more open to the idea personally (i.e. With a view to longer term)

56 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Why did they appoint him? There must be a reason.  Incredibly brave by Huddersfield and great foresight by probably one individual at the club.  They are now being rewarded for that.  Always seems that other teams get it right and we never do 

Similar mould to Jens Keller. I mentioned him as the sort of coach City should at least consider when Steve C left and had him on the poll I did at the time. Managing in Germany's second tier currently with Union Berlin and a very decent win percentage. Not sure of his English language skills mind..

http://www.transfermarkt.com/jens-keller/profil/trainer/12312

They currently lie 3rd in Bundesliga 2 behind Stuttgart and Hannover. Might be too difficult to prize him away but he is the sort of guy we should be aiming for in my opinion

That said i would hand the role to John Pemberton until the end of the season. I think he will keep us up with someone like Keller tied down to a contract in May.

30 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Wouldn't necessarily agree with that as Reading (twice), Hull (twice) and Southampton all got into the premier league recently with English managers - Steve Coppell, Brian McDermott, Phil Brown, Steve Bruce, Nigel Adkins...and of Fulham's 13 or so seasons in the premier league, about 9 of them were with a British manager at the helm...and it wasn't a Brit boss who relegated them...so I'd say that the homegrown talent is out there, but as long as we did ok and held our own in this division at least then I wouldn't care what nationality the manager was...

I'd look to a foreign country though....Wales, and Cardiff...he seems to be doing ok in this div, again...

Steve Coppell, I like the sound of that. Pick up the phone SL :yawn:

On a more serious note, what has happened to Brian McDermott. Seems to have vanished?

5 minutes ago, Big C said:

For every successful foreign manager there is unsuccessful foreign manager, for example Guy Luzon, Karel Fraeye and Jose Riga all at Charlton, Felix Mageth at Fulham, Ole Gunnar Solskjar at Cardiff just to name a few

Whatever we go with, foreign or domestic picking a new manager is always a shot in a dark and none can guarantee success. 

Fair point, but those clubs were all absolute cluster ***** at the time, possibly not Fulham, but Charlton & Cardiff were in meltdowns

4 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Steve Coppell, I like the sound of that. Pick up the phone SL :yawn:

On a more serious note, what has happened to Brian McDermott. Seems to have vanished?

Fair point, but those clubs were all absolute cluster ***** at the time, possibly not Fulham, but Charlton & Cardiff were in meltdowns

McDermott is still being paid off by Leeds. I think he's doing some scouting for someone, prem side, cant recall whom.

• Wagner had been carving a name out from himself as Klopp's assistant for four or five years at Dortmund and was a UEFA Cup winner as a player,
  • Karanka (Boro boss) learnt his trade as Mourinho's assistant and is a three-times Champions League winner,
  • Claude Puel (So'ton boss) helped Lyon to the Champions League semis after making 500-odd apps for Monaco in the French top flight,
  • Jaap Stam (Reading boss) - Premier League, Champions League winner; World Cup semi-finalist; Eredivisie title winner as a manager.

I could go on.

The point I'm making is all of those managers have experience at the highest levels -- either as a player, coaching or both -- and that pedigree does not come cheap. The common theme with SL is that he takes the cheap option (Tinnion, Millen, SOD, LJ) time after time and there's no track record to suggest any foreign boss worth his salt would be on our radar. I expect SL to wast more millions backing an unproven, inexperienced rookie with no mentality as a winner.

5 minutes ago, tin said:
  • Wagner had been carving a name out from himself as Klopp's assistant for four or five years at Dortmund and was a UEFA Cup winner as a player,
  • Karanka (Boro boss) learnt his trade as Mourinho's assistant and is a three-times Champions League winner,
  • Claude Puel (So'ton boss) helped Lyon to the Champions League semis after making 500-odd apps for Monaco in the French top flight,
  • Jaap Stam (Reading boss) - Premier League, Champions League winner; World Cup semi-finalist; Eredivisie title winner as a manager.

I could go on.

The point I'm making is all of those managers have experience at the highest levels -- either as a player, coaching or both -- and that pedigree does not come cheap. The common theme with SL is that he takes the cheap option (Tinnion, Millen, SOD, LJ) time after time and there's no track record to suggest any foreign boss worth his salt would be on our radar. I expect SL to wast more millions backing an unproven, inexperienced rookie with no mentality as a winner.

Ryan Giggs, Frank Lampard or Steven Gerrard it is then :laugh:.

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

I think it's the route to take, but it's also a pretty huge gamble, plenty have not been a success. 

I mean, look at David Wagner's CV, they plucked him out of near obscurity with no proven track record. He is a success story, but I think most City fan's would be up in arms if we appointed a random French/German coach with no CV.

You seem to be implying that random, no CV and foreign all go together! Of course no-one would want a random appointment, or someone with no CV. But I'd be quite happy with a French or German (or any other nationality) manager. 

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

You seem to be implying that random, no CV and foreign all go together! Of course no-one would want a random appointment, or someone with no CV. But I'd be quite happy with a French or German (or any other nationality) manager. 

As would I. But all I was saying is that the type of foreign manager we'd attract would be an 'unproven' one. Would City fans be happy with that kind of appointment now? It's a gamble.

David Wagner - didn't have a prolific, trophy filled career as a player. He came over as a former assistant to a successful manager yes, but with no proven track record as a manager himself. Plenty have proved being a good assistant doesn't guarantee you success as a manager. For that reason he was a fairly 'left field appointment' and Huddersfield gambled giving him his first managerial job.

He is a success story, but if City fans think we can just pop on an easyJet to Germany and find a manager that will be our new Messiah, perhaps caution should be taken. 

We don't have the luxury of time to look around Europe and the Western World right now. If there's no immediate change we'll be League 1 (or 2) for the next two or three seasons. So put Pemberton back for the rest of this season. He did fine post Cotterill and a handful of wins in winnable games against the other relegation candidates would do it for us. Then we'd have a chance of attracting someone worth having as a Championship team next season. I'd let LJ have the Newcastle game - not even Alf Ramsey would win us that one - then let Pembo take over for Villa - theoretically that could be worth a point at least with a bit of bounce.

3 minutes ago, Renaissance Dolman said:

We don't have the luxury of time to look around Europe and the Western World right now. If there's no immediate change we'll be League 1 (or 2) for the next two or three seasons. So put Pemberton back for the rest of this season. He did fine post Cotterill and a handful of wins in winnable games against the other relegation candidates would do it for us. Then we'd have a chance of attracting someone worth having as a Championship team next season. I'd let LJ have the Newcastle game - not even Alf Ramsey would win us that one - then let Pembo take over for Villa - theoretically that could be worth a point at least with a bit of bounce.

If we're a serious club we'll have managers we've been monitoring for a while - like players. Won't be a case of starting a search from scratch.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

If we're a serious club we'll have managers we're monitoring already - like players. Won't be a case of starting a search from scratch.

Should Johnson be sacked, I'd really hope that we'd make an appointment within 48 hours.

MA will and surely should have been 'sounding out' agents over the last few weeks.

I'm not sure JP as interim while we look around for 2 weeks would work this time round, the chemistry is completely different.

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

If we're a serious club we'll have managers we're monitoring already - like players. Won't be a case of starting a search from scratch.

I live in hope -  but we didn't look that serious last night. If we play like amateurs, maybe we plan that way, too. 

Maybe you're right and SL has a cunning scheme. Fingers crossed.....

As per a previous post weeks ago city must look at countries like Germany for potential new head coaches. As mentioned torsten lieberknecht could be worth looking at, a good friend of klopp and by all accounts a good tactical coach who's teams are always hard to break down and beat. Whoever may in the end replace Lee Johnson must get us better organised and not so easy to play through.

Archived