IGNORED

Lee stopped Engvall loan deal

Fiale

But still did not put him on the bench ? I imagine Engvall is not the happiest person right now

Meanwhile, Djurgarden sporting director Bosse Andersson has spoken out after Gustav Engvall's failed loan move to the Swedish top flight side.

Lee Johnson decided to call it of this week following the injury to Abraham.

Read more: Bristol City owner Steve Lansdown faces difficult decision over head coach Lee Johnson

Andersson told a report in Sweden: "Gustav Engvall was more than close - he was here and trained, and the idea was that he would have been involved and played in the Swedish Cup against Degerfors Monday.

"There was only one injury in Bristol who made the club swung at the last moment."

1 minute ago, Fiale said:

That he could still not make the bench, worst not make it ahead of a 37 year old Wilbs ! 

Irrelivent. At least he's an option whilst here. 

Im not remarking on the merits of his ability for team selection, I'm just saying it was correct not to let him go out on loan whilst Tammy is injured. 

1 minute ago, Fiale said:

:laugh: which are the easy games we have coming up where we will risk him then ?

With Abraham injured we need options and Wilbraham has his merits with his experience and reliability.

I've got no idea how good Engvall is or isn't so won't comment on his selection or lack of.

Of course it makes sense to have 4 alternative strikers when one gets an injury, even if he's 4th in the pecking order.

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

So what, LJ preferred the experienced and reliable Wilbraham vs the inexperienced Engvall for the bench in a tough game. 

If Taylor had been injured the only replacement on the bench was Wilbraham. Him and Djuric would not have been an ideal combination. Of course, LJ may have had a cunning plan in case of a Taylor injury - e g play Mathews as centre forward 

9 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

If Taylor had been injured the only replacement on the bench was Wilbraham. Him and Djuric would not have been an ideal combination. Of course, LJ may have had a cunning plan in case of a Taylor injury - e g play Mathews as centre forward 

I'd imagine in that instance he'd bring Tomlin or Patterson on and adjust the formation.

6 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

After flying back from Sweden just a few days before.

Hardly a stupid decision

what do you fly in the original wright brothers box ? The guy has played basically nothing all season, he hardly needs resting, though I am sure that hour long flight in first class would have been really demanding.

13 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

After flying back from Sweden just a few days before.

Hardly a stupid decision

I'm struggling to see how a two hour flight doesn't make it a stupid decision and a reason to not play him.

Being blunt, Engvall is younger, more mobile, and would have been useful when chasing a game. Wilbs is more suited to shutting up shop, and holding up play.

While it's all well and good saying "makes sense Tammy got injured", what's the impact on a player who simply wants to play football? We have youth players banging in goals as backup if it were truly needed.

It's not like Johnson is ever gunna play him anyway. 

I think we need to hang fire on any evaluation of Engvall whilst LJ is in charge.  He obviously doesn't rate or trust him over the other 4 strikers, so isn't going to get game time whilst at least 3 of them are fit.

Not getting picked by LJ does not correlate to bad footballer.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think we need to hang fire on any evaluation of Engvall whilst LJ is in charge.  He obviously doesn't rate or trust him over the other 4 strikers, so isn't going to get game time whilst at least 3 of them are fit.

Not getting picked by LJ does not correlate to bad footballer.

I haven't seen much of Engvall, who has?...But what I have seen he reminds me a trifle of Stevie Neville and if I remember correctly he took a while to find his feet at the club and that was in the days when we weren't blessed with a plethora of strikers. However, once things did click he was a helluva player.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I'd imagine in that instance he'd bring Tomlin or Patterson on and adjust the formation.

I think you're probably correct, which makes the decision to keep Engvall difficult to understand. LJ would do anything to avoid playing him, so why keep him?

Archived