Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! 

He's right though isn't he.

1 hour ago, tinman85 said:

Derby 3.0 up drew 3.3

Newc 2.0 up drew 2.2

Sheff Wed 2.0 up lost 3.2

Reading 2.0 up lost 3.2

Cardiff 2.1 up with 5 mins to go, lost 3.2

This does not make good reading for a team that have one of the highest spends in the Championship. If Warnock was the man in the dugout we would have won those games.

We take a point today under the circumstances but it always seems to be when we throw away valuable points  

19 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Remarkable amount of drivel here - did you actually read what he said? Agendas? Phileas made a fair and balanced point. Just because he defended LJ in this instance doesn't mean he thinks he is the right man for the job.

Divided fan base. You got to ducking love it!! Bring on Burton at home :) 

17 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Made the same point on another thread - I don't buy into the notion that every time we fail to win from a leading position it means we've "thrown it away". That implies that every result is determined only by our own actions and gives no credit to the opposition who are also trying to influence the game.

On some occasions it may be true, but today I believe we drew because we were playing a good side, not because we "threw it away".

fair point, well made

2 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Danny Mills summed it up on Channel 5. You have to hold on to the points and cannot keep throwing away leads to stay in the Champ

we're mentally brittle. Hopefully todays result would add some strength....but if Villa screw us over on Tuesday... I fear for the Burton game

2 hours ago, WayOutWest said:

This is all you can ask of the team at the moment.  Do that, and results should start to go our way.

So you're basically suggesting that the reason for our poor results is that the players haven't been battling. Well that's the very least you should expect from them when they're getting paid ten grand a week!

2 hours ago, tinman85 said:

I'm not disputing a point is not the end of the world. Simply pointing out how many times we have thrown away a lead. It is why we are down where we are. We should have won the game today, as we should have v Derby. 

Sorry but I can't agree with you at all there. We did very very well first half and to go in 2-0 up was testament to that but even at that stage against that Newcastle team it was always going to take a monumental effort to hold onto that lead. 

To be honest I thought they showed real character to get a point out of it, as with the Derby game when the equaliser went in with 10 mins left there only looked like being 1 result, a home win.

Another great away day COYR 

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

(incidentally, Neil's Cardiff lost at st James this season)

Yeh, Neil's Cardiff have also beaten Forest away, Huddersfield, Wolves, Villa, Leeds away, Derby away and drawn with Brighton...not sure what your point is? But what is very clear is that they have a way, way better manager/head coach than us and they will finish way, way above us...

14 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Please prove that out net spend was one of the highest in the division and that Warnock would have won these games and I will reply sensibly 

Or, this hardly necessitates a thread. Might as well start one that says "We're not very good - we're poor" or "We've lost quite a few games this season - not good". There really is no need for some of these threads, but, as I've said on other threads, the worse things are on the pitch/at the club, the more extreme and wild and lacking in common sense/perspective/thought people's opinions become. It's incredible the number of new or returning posters we have on here not just commenting (the same things over and over) but starting (the same) threads (over and over). Better to come on here when we're doing well, everyone. But as Bristolians/Brits, there's nothing like it to get us worked up, than something gone tits up...

29 minutes ago, The Hustler said:

Regardless of the fact you may have thought we were going to get battered before the game, to keep getting into winning positions then end up drawing/losing is pretty poor!

Law of averages/luck says you should be able to manage a game so this doesn't happen...at least once anyway!

You must be the only one who thinks yesterdays result was very poor.

12 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

we're mentally brittle. Hopefully todays result would add some strength....but if Villa screw us over on Tuesday... I fear for the Burton game

I just watched the Channel 5 football show and saw Mills comments. ( Like it or not he played for England and top level). I thought he was spot on and if his facts are right, we have lost 19 points from winning positions that is an amazing statistic.  We would all have taken a point from Derby away and Toon away before the start but still feels like a smack on the head when you cannot see the game out.  

I heard LJ who was 'sort of challenged' by the radio Brizzle interviewer after the game and the interviewer was quickly put down.  

Now is not the time, but at the end of the season, when we survive by the skins of our teeth, there will no doubt be inquests , with the powers that be,into how we are so brittle and how on earth this whole scenario has happened again with a full on relegation scrap.   

22 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

I just watched the Channel 5 football show and saw Mills comments. ( Like it or not he played for England and top level). I thought he was spot on and if his facts are right, we have lost 19 points from winning positions that is an amazing statistic.  We would all have taken a point from Derby away and Toon away before the start but still feels like a smack on the head when you cannot see the game out.  

I heard LJ who was 'sort of challenged' by the radio Brizzle interviewer after the game and the interviewer was quickly put down.  

Now is not the time, but at the end of the season, when we survive by the skins of our teeth, there will no doubt be inquests , with the powers that be,into how we are so brittle and how on earth this whole scenario has happened again with a full on relegation scrap.   

There was nothing brittle about yesterdays performance. 

As an isolated 2-2 against Newcastle is a fantastic result. Losing the lead again takes the gloss of it slightly. We can't afford to give up such opportunities in the position we are in.

We had the same response from some people at Derby. Happy with a unexpected point and talking about a positive performance, Hoping it would provide a spring board for the rest of the season. We then produced a below par performance at Leeds and an atrocious display against Fulham. 

Yesterday was a chance missed to extend the gap, it doesn't matter who we were playing. Fingers crossed it will give the players some confidence holding their own against one of the better teams. I won't hold my breath though. Johnson will probably make six changes for Tuesday.

2 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

I thought I'd get some more detail on this and it's not great:

# Club Times leading Wins Draws Losses
1 Brighton & Hove Albion Brighton & Hove Albion 22 20 2 0
2 Newcastle United Newcastle United 26 22 3 1
3 Huddersfield Town Huddersfield Town 23 20 3 0
4 Leeds United Leeds United 21 18 2 1
5 Reading FC Reading FC 20 18 1 1
6 Sheffield Wednesday Sheffield Wednesday 20 17 2 1
7 Fulham FC Fulham FC 20 14 4 2
8 Norwich City Norwich City 21 15 4 2
9 Preston North End Preston North End 17 13 4 0
10 Barnsley FC Barnsley FC 18 14 2 2
11 Derby County Derby County 18 13 3 2
12 Cardiff City Cardiff City 18 13 4 1
13 Brentford FC Brentford FC 16 11 2 3
14 Birmingham City Birmingham City 16 10 3 3
15 Ipswich Town Ipswich Town 15 10 5 0
16 Queens Park Rangers Queens Park Rangers 15 11 3 1
17 Aston Villa Aston Villa 18 8 8 2
18 Nottingham Forest Nottingham Forest 19 10 4 5
19 Burton Albion Burton Albion 13 9 3 1
20 Wolverhampton Wanderers Wolverhampton Wanderers 13 9 2 2
21 Bristol City Bristol City 15 9 2 4
22 Wigan Athletic Wigan Athletic 12 7 1 4
23 Blackburn Rovers Blackburn Rovers 11 7 3 1
24 Rotherham United Rotherham United 13 4 5 4

Although I then looked at the opposite and ....

# Club deficits Wins Draws Losses Points
1 Fulham FC Fulham FC 20 4 8 8 20
2 Nottingham Forest Nottingham Forest 24 4 3 17 15
3 Brighton & Hove Albion Brighton & Hove Albion 12 3 5 4 14
4 Cardiff City Cardiff City 19 4 1 14 13
5 Bristol City Bristol City 25 3 4 18 13
6 Blackburn Rovers Blackburn Rovers 23 3 4 16 13
7 Sheffield Wednesday Sheffield Wednesday 15 3 3 9 12
8 Barnsley FC Barnsley FC 18 3 3 12 12
9 Reading FC Reading FC 15 2 4 9 10
10 Wolverhampton Wanderers Wolverhampton Wanderers 20 2 4 14 10
11 Huddersfield Town Huddersfield Town 12 2 2 8 8
12 Preston North End Preston North End 15 1 4 10 7
13 Birmingham City Birmingham City 18 1 4 13 7
14 Ipswich Town Ipswich Town 16 1 3 12 6
15 Aston Villa Aston Villa 16 1 3 12 6
16 Leeds United Leeds United 14 1 2 11 5
17 Norwich City Norwich City 15 1 2 12 5
18 Derby County Derby County 13 1 2 10 5
19 Brentford FC Brentford FC 17 1 2 14 5
20 Burton Albion Burton Albion 19 1 2 16 5
21 Newcastle United Newcastle United 9 1 1 7 4
22 Queens Park Rangers Queens Park Rangers 19 0 4 15 4
23 Wigan Athletic Wigan Athletic 20 0 3 17 3
24 Rotherham United Rotherham United 26 0 2 24 2

Which is quite amazing really. It suggests that we geniunally are better off going behind!

It also suggests where LJ weakness is knowing how to control a game once we're ahead. I think that could be his lack of experience and perhaps almost a need on his part to be seen to being doing something - tinkering with the team he has actually already set up well.

What is also shows is that he does know how to annalise and adapt to the opposition. He clearly has a talent for that and that shows his ability to read the game and tactically out-think his opponents. It looks to me that he just needs to learn to not change for the sake of change.

17 hours ago, Sparkz 76 said:

I had us down for a 4-0 defeat so how wrong I was really pleased with a battling performance with lots of heart shown today.

Well done Johnson and the boys

Yes I was delighted too. Battling performances in every match now please. Cotterill was immense and Zachary Vyner excellent in such a high pressure game. 

The disappointments for me was their first goal should have been dived on by the keeper and when I was a lad the mantra was never substitute a player at a corner which we did. 

But the standard is set. There were signs of the team we were early season, let's hope eh!

The Derby game still upsets me as i believe that was points thrown away. Yesterday was a completely different story plus against a much much better team. We were under the cosh most of yesterdays game as the stats will show and on another day could of actually gone in at half time 3-2 down. The gulf in class in there players to ours i'm sorry is there to be seen. Throw in the fact also of a manager who has won the champions league and to get a point is a great result. Me and my boy both had a great day out made even better by the battling performance our lads put in. Onwards and upwards surly now.

16 hours ago, cityboy99 said:

The Derby game still upsets me as i believe that was points thrown away. Yesterday was a completely different story plus against a much much better team. We were under the cosh most of yesterdays game as the stats will show and on another day could of actually gone in at half time 3-2 down. The gulf in class in there players to ours i'm sorry is there to be seen. Throw in the fact also of a manager who has won the champions league and to get a point is a great result. Me and my boy both had a great day out made even better by the battling performance our lads put in. Onwards and upwards surly now.

Agree - to an extent you can forgive surrendering 2 goals to a team with the quality and depth of Newcastle. 3 goals though is a different story, you'd expect us to be able to hold a 3 goal lead against Derby - a good divisional rival - not even an anomaly team like Newcastle who clearly are far too strong to be here really.

Good point in the end but very much points dropped. We played well today and Newcastle were there for the taking they didn't seem up for it and made a lot of unforced errors. They are hardly world beaters and especially not at home this season. 

All today proved is that the players have got more in them than they have been showing this season. Playing well and trying hard at Newcastle is one thing. They need to be able to do it against teams like forest and Fulham if the managers gunna be getting the credit. 

On 25/02/2017 at 23:10, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I think that's right.  Largely we haven't dropped points from a winning position because of tactical mistakes,  we've done it because the players are frightened.  Having lost a lead two or three times, they began to believe that they couldn't hold on to leads.  They have looked like rabbits in the headlights in the last 15 minutes of some matches.  I would love to know what the club has done to try to rectify this, via a sports psychologist.  No coincidence that our worst run seems to have coincided with Wilbs making fewer appearances from the bench, because he seems to be the only player who seems to know how to see out a match.

Archived