IGNORED

Rugby attendance today

ChippenhamRed

28 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

But it's not a huge screen is it? It's a series of smaller tvs hooked all together to make a huge screen.

Do you understand how TV works? You've still got to enlarge and spread the source over the same space you would if it was all one screen. 

4 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

Do you understand how TV works? You've still got to enlarge and spread the source over the same space you would if it was all one screen. 

No I don't tbh. Just making an observation. 

I've seen many large screens in my time and the image wasn't blurry on them.

The SS screen today was excellent quality despite that source being enlarged so what's the different?

3 hours ago, Turbored said:

Six nations on TV, too expensive and Ashton gate really is a difficult place to get to let alone trying to park the car. 

I drove past Long Ashton Park & Ride at 1.30pm and it was practically empty. Absolutely Crackers. 

Would make life so much easier for fans, residents and road-users if this was available for all match days. 

Surely the council would make money on this at a time when they're having to make cuts. I'd rather spend £5 on car parking if it helped keep a Day Centre or School open than give it to a Business fortunate enough to be adjoining Winterstoke Road. 

19 minutes ago, redapple said:

I drove past Long Ashton Park & Ride at 1.30pm and it was practically empty. Absolutely Crackers. 

Would make life so much easier for fans, residents and road-users if this was available for all match days. 

Surely the council would make money on this at a time when they're having to make cuts. I'd rather spend £5 on car parking if it helped keep a Day Centre or School open than give it to a Business fortunate enough to be adjoining Winterstoke Road. 

Ridiculous isn`t it? I understand BCC say it`s all down to some stupid clause in the original planning permission which says that it can only be used for commuters and not anyone else.

Personally, I think it`s more down to the fact that they don`t want people walking along the A370 verges to get to AG as there`s not a lit footpath.

16 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Ridiculous isn`t it? I understand BCC say it`s all down to some stupid clause in the original planning permission which says that it can only be used for commuters and not anyone else.

Personally, I think it`s more down to the fact that they don`t want people walking along the A370 verges to get to AG as there`s not a lit footpath.

Don't think it's the planning permission, and if it were, there's no reason to stop a variation to allow sports-related parking. 

Seemingly, it's a consequence of your beloved Council having entered into a legal agreement with a private operator. Assume the operator either can't be arsed or having taken your Council for such mugs that they're uncontactable living in some wonderous Caribbean Island on the profits of the deal. Did I read your Council was gifting them hundreds of thousands of subsidies that no one knew about until football fans started questioning what was going on?

Seriously, no wonder this Country is such a shambles both public and private sectors. Worse than a bloody banana republic. 

What happens when such a scandal is identified? Nothing. Was this not, in part, the reason you have elected mayors so you can hold these people accountable? 

2 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Don't think it's the planning permission, and if it were, there's no reason to stop a variation to allow sports-related parking. 

Seemingly, it's a consequence of your beloved Council having entered into a legal agreement with a private operator. Assume the operator either can't be arsed or having taken your Council for such mugs that they're uncontactable living in some wonderous Caribbean Island on the profits of the deal. Did I read your Council was gifting them hundreds of thousands of subsidies that no one knew about until football fans started questioning what was going on?

Seriously, no wonder this Country is such a shambles both public and private sectors. Worse than a bloody banana republic. 

What happens when such a scandal is identified? Nothing. Was this not, in part, the reason you have elected mayors so you can hold these people accountable? 

Not my bloody council mate, mine`s West Devon Borough! I`m just passing on what`s been said on previous threads - no need to get so aggressive, I live 120 miles from Bristol!

Went to buy a pint of Thatchers and got charged £4 with 1£ deposit for the sturdy plastic  Bristol Rugby pint pot.

I told the girl I wanted an ordinary plastic pot but her supervisor said that they didn't have any so I coughed up the £4

What I don't get is why they charge for these sturdy plastic pots but you get a pound back when you return it. So it's obviously not for profit.

I can't see the point

3 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

@Mkelly I'm in the sports bar post-rugby and feel compelled to point out that you're advertising events that occurred six weeks ago!

IMG_4548.JPG

Yeah, aware of this. The company who controls the internal advertising for us used an old "pack"  I didn't want to remove as it meant taking the system down which was more of a risk 

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Went to buy a pint of Thatchers and got charged £4 with 1£ deposit for the sturdy plastic  Bristol Rugby pint pot.

I told the girl I wanted an ordinary plastic pot but her supervisor said that they didn't have any so I coughed up the £4

What I don't get is why they charge for these sturdy plastic pots but you get a pound back when you return it. So it's obviously not for profit.

I can't see the point

i think its so that people dont leave them lying around on the floor...people are more likely to return the plastic pots if they get their quid back.

2 hours ago, Up The City! said:

No I don't tbh. Just making an observation. 

I've seen many large screens in my time and the image wasn't blurry on them.

The SS screen today was excellent quality despite that source being enlarged so what's the different?

Most likely your distance away from it. 

17 minutes ago, Natchlander said:

i think its so that people dont leave them lying around on the floor...people are more likely to return the plastic pots if they get their quid back.

That might be it but after the crowd has dispersed cleaners go along every row picking up any rubbish - at least that's how it used to be.

i really don't know if that still happens.

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That might be it but after the crowd has dispersed cleaners go along every row picking up any rubbish - at least that's how it used to be.

i really don't know if that still happens.

One thing I noticed today, rugby fans cleaned up after themselves, even those with the normal plastic cups picked them up and put them in the bins.

I'm not sure why your moaning about the 1 pound tho. I think they are great and I'm starting to get quite a collection of them.

The two pint jugs are even greater.

44 minutes ago, Mkelly said:

We can't show SKY games outside of the "paying" area sadly 

That's a real shame and I hope one day it could be changed. It really adds something to the fans zone. That's weird because why isn't the FV classed as a paying area? 

I guess tho maybe something to do with the screen being visible to the surrounding areas?

I've got a amazon fire TV stick with Kodi installed if you wish to borrow it? :clapping:

43 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I can't see the point

Partly because you're allowed to take your drink to your seat and is something rugby fans are use to.

6 hours ago, Posset red said:

Sunday and just before England game and on tv that's why 

I'm still surprised by the attendance. This was practically a home game for both sides with Bath being so close and no limit on how many either could bring. Plus it was the first league fixture for years and a chance for Bath fans to visit the new ground. It was perfectly possible to watch England at the ground after the game, as many of us did!

I think I'm surprised because we hear about the westcountry being a rugby hotbed but, really, it still doesn't get near football for attendance.

Imagine if City and Rovers had played under the same conditions with both sides able to bring as many as they wanted - TV or no TV, Sunday or not, it would sell out easily.

7 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I have no problem seeing the rugby pull in big crowds. But make no mistake, City are still the number one crowd-puller at Ashton Gate, the stadium was not "built for the rugby" (some I've seen a few times on here) and Bristol is not a "rugby city".

I agree Bristol is not a 'rugby city' but is it a 'football city'??!

Sheff Utd had a 27,000 crowd yesterday in League One....in a two club city...that's a 'football city' - our two clubs' recent attendances added together are less than Sheff Utd's latest League One crowd...says it all really...

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I agree Bristol is not a 'rugby city' but is it a 'football city'??!

Sheff Utd had a 27,000 crowd yesterday in League One....in a two club city...that's a 'football city' - our two clubs' recent attendances added together are less than Sheff Utd's latest League One crowd...says it all really...

I agree, it's neither a rugby or a football city really.

55 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I'm still surprised by the attendance. This was practically a home game for both sides with Bath being so close and no limit on how many either could bring. Plus it was the first league fixture for years and a chance for Bath fans to visit the new ground. It was perfectly possible to watch England at the ground after the game, as many of us did!

I think I'm surprised because we hear about the westcountry being a rugby hotbed but, really, it still doesn't get near football for attendance.

Imagine if City and Rovers had played under the same conditions with both sides able to bring as many as they wanted - TV or no TV, Sunday or not, it would sell out easily.

Three factors at play today:

• Bristol's results this season led many neutrals (myself included) to think that Bath would roll them over today.  I couldn't justify £30 to watch what I thought would be an entirely one-sided game
  • Televised by BT Sport
  • The England Italy match following straight after the final whistle

Okay, so it would have never been a sell-out (and you're right about the football being more attractive) but I'm sure the above took a few thousand off the gate.  If Bristol survive this season, I think the corresponding 17/18 fixture will get a bigger crowd.

Archived