IGNORED

Pubs for Villa

1414England

There are a number of pubs in the vicinity of Villa Park, but most of them on match days are either members only or have bouncers on the door. However, Dave Cooper recommends the following for away fans; 'The Witton Arms (formerly the Cap and Gown), is not a bad pub, to which half the pub is given to away fans (there is even a separate entrance for visiting fans). It is only two minutes walk from the away entrance, right on Witton Island, however it does charge £2 per person to gain entry'. Alex Alexander a visiting Norwich City fan adds; 'We found a pub approximately 15 minutes walk from the ground where away fans were made welcome. It is called the Yew Tree. Although they don’t serve real ale, they had a good range of beers and Magner’s on draught. It is on the same road as the Witton Arms, but with this pub on your left carry straight on up the road, passing Witton Railway Station on your right. After about half a mile you will see the pub on the right hand side'. Also around a 15 minute walk away near Birmingham City University is the 'Hare of the Dog' pub.

If you arrive a bit earlier then you may wish to visit the historic Bartons Arms, located about a 15 minute walk away on High Street Aston (A34). This Grade II listed building, is one of Birmingham's finest pubs, with superb Victorian decor, serving Oakham ales and Thai food is also on offer. It is a regular entry in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide. 

Darren Williams a visiting Manchester City fan adds; 'We have always park at an entertainment complex called Star City. It is just off Junction 6 of the M6, going towards Villa Park. Huge free car park, plus plenty of food and drink outlets. It is then about a mile and half walk to the ground'. Alcohol is normally available to away supporters but only in the lower tier of the Doug Ellis Stand. This is in the form of Carlsberg (£3.80 a pint) and Somersby Cider (£3.70 500ml bottle). However for some high profile games the Club decide not sell alcohol to away fans.

If arriving by train into New Street Station then there are plenty of pubs to be found in the City Centre. Just outside the main entrance to the station, is the Shakespeare pub, which is popular with away fans, normally with the local Police keeping a watchful eye over proceedings. On Bennetts Hill, which is only a few minutes further walk away (pass the Shakespeare on your left, turn left at Tescos, then take the next right hand turn by Ask Italia onto Bennetts Hill) are a number of pubs including a Wetherspoons outlet called the Briar Rose, plus the 'Sun On The Hill' pub, which also shows televised sports. A little further up the hill is the Wellington pub which is a mecca for real ale drinkers. The Wellington does not provide food, but has no objections to you bringing in your own. There are a couple of taxi ranks nearby that you can use if you wish to get you to Villa Park, or hop back on the train. 

44 minutes ago, LEETOMLINMALORD said:

Anyone no what pub we're heading for? Or if we've been allocated any pubs?

Thought you might have had something to add that was of interest....not what 'friggin boozer you want to end up in. Congratulations you might be of a drinking age, but do you have to start a thread on such trivia?

7 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Thought you might have had something to add that was of interest....not what 'friggin boozer you want to end up in. Congratulations you might be of a drinking age, but do you have to start a thread on such trivia?

Pretty standard question I would say for an away day to a ground many have not visited. Can I suggest therapy for your obvious anger issues.

25 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Bit harsh?

His question was probably more interesting than your reply.

there is little/no street parking around Villa Park (and what street parking there is, is "residents only". There are plentiful private car parks though, so there won't be any issues on that score. The Witton does have a separate entrance for away fans, but they'll charge an entrance fee. Most pubs are "home fans only" and unless you've a Villa shirt on, it isn't even worthwhile testing your luck.

If you leave the M5 and go to the ground past the West Brom ground (ie through Handsworth), there are a couple of pubs that are friendlier on the A4040, but The Witton would be the standard place to go. Don't expect the height of comfort. It is Aston after all (Gun City to the uninitiated)!! There is a top Chippie on Aston Lane for those who like a Pie n Chips.

2 hours ago, Doozerchris said:

Pretty standard question I would say for an away day to a ground many have not visited. Can I suggest therapy for your obvious anger issues.

No,you can just **** right off too:P...yeah I admit I was a bit harsh, but something about the booze being more important than the football grates on me, mind you unless you got Cider in your name people suppose you are not a proper City fan. But I admit I hate the Boozed up Britain culture, where we seemingly cant do or go anywhere unless there's a pint in our hands. 

4 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

No,you can just **** right off too:P...yeah I admit I was a bit harsh, but something about the booze being more important than the football grates on me, mind you unless you got Cider in your name people suppose you are not a proper City fan. But I admit I hate the Boozed up Britain culture, where we seemingly cant do or go anywhere unless there's a pint in our hands. 

I think you need a beer

56 minutes ago, 1414England said:

Seems like the Witton Arms could be the place then 

It's Villa, would be madness, do you have any idea about Brum at night... you don't want to be a walking target do you? Better just go straight to the ground keep your heads down and say nothing. If the Villains don't get you the WMP will. Not joking. 

For those with a bit of time to spend in Brum before heading out towards Villa Park, I can recommend the following pubs:

The Post Office Vaults - Out of New St Station and onto New Street itself, head up the hill towards Millenium Square and its a single door enterence not far after Greggs at the top of the hill. (bit difficult to spot). When you go through the door you'll go down a flight of stairs into a one room pub below street level. When I was in there last month they had 14 different ciders on tap plus many more bottled ciders and perry's. There are about the same number of real ales plus a menu of bottled beers from around the world. If you are hungry, no issue, you can bring in a takeaway and the bar staff will provide you with plate, knives, forks etc.

The Wellington - Follow New St up the hill then turn right and up Bennetts Hill. The Wellington is another real ale bar which has mainly real ales (about 15 on pull) but has a few ciders on tap as well. Like the Vaults mentioned above, you can also bring your own food in to the Welly. The Beer and Cider is pretty cheep for central Birmingham. There are beer menu's on TV screens around the bar that display the price, ABV and type of ale.

The Sun on the Hill - Same directions as the Wellington but not as far up Bennetts Hill. A modern pub with a good range of pub grub. Stowford Press or Thatchers on tap plus a range of other beers and lagers at a decent price.

The Old Joint Stock - Up New St then turn right up Temple St, turn left at the top and it's opposite the Cathedral on your left. The most expensive of the four pubs but they have a really good menu and a range of real ales and a few ciders. Cornish Orchard is the normal one on tap. The Pie and Ale tasting board is quality. You get three pies matched with three real ales. Not the cheepest thing in the world but very tasty.

All these pubs should be friendly and hastle free.

49 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

there is little/no street parking around Villa Park (and what street parking there is, is "residents only". There are plentiful private car parks though, so there won't be any issues on that score. The Witton does have a separate entrance for away fans, but they'll charge an entrance fee. Most pubs are "home fans only" and unless you've a Villa shirt on, it isn't even worthwhile testing your luck.

If you leave the M5 and go to the ground past the West Brom ground (ie through Handsworth), there are a couple of pubs that are friendlier on the A4040, but The Witton would be the standard place to go. Don't expect the height of comfort. It is Aston after all (Gun City to the uninitiated)!! There is a top Chippie on Aston Lane for those who like a Pie n Chips.

Gun city it is, sorry but this thread should be treated with a great deal of caution, it is not Brighton Bristol, or even Leeds, some crazy barstewards up there.... and to advise a pub on their    home turf...utter madness.

Nah. The Witton really is OK.....but BASIC would be an understatement. There are bars inside Villa Park....it may be more expensive, but at least you'd escape in one piece.

The last time I was there....I joined a couple of mates from the North East to watch Newcastle. At Half Time, the Police closed the toilets because they were (allegedly) too busy. You can imagine the uproar that caused!!! Coming away from the ground I drove past what was probably a "Hostage" situation. Police marksmen were leaning over a car with rifles pointed toward a house....the ground is great, but it is NOT a great place to hang around

18 hours ago, 1414England said:

Seems like the Witton Arms could be the place then 

Just googled this place to get the post code for later and it says it's closed today??!!

Anyone on book face or twitter who can double check?

• Admin

Just been speaking to a Villa mate, apparently the home fans have been boycotting the pub since the Birmingham game

The police wanted the pub to be completely away fans for the blues game but the owners didn't want this - they were basically told you do as we say or you lose you licence

Ever since home fans are staying away in protest

47 minutes ago, phantom said:

Just been speaking to a Villa mate, apparently the home fans have been boycotting the pub since the Birmingham game

The police wanted the pub to be completely away fans for the blues game but the owners didn't want this - they were basically told you do as we say or you lose you licence

Ever since home fans are staying away in protest

Wow that's pretty harsh on the pub owners from the police 

Archived