IGNORED

Lee Tomlin Big disappointment

Major Isewater

I was so much looking forward to being entertained by the football genius that is Lee Tomlin but he has been for me the biggest let down since Dolly Parton's bra straps snapped .

The clamour to get him here , the memories of his contribution to our safety last season are all hazy memories as the guy can't even get in the first team on a regular basis.

Dave Cotterill has come in and frankly shown more in his handful of matches than LT all season.

Come back LT  we want you firing on all cylinders as we try to get some points on the board.

8 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I was so much looking forward to being entertained by the football genius that is Lee Tomlin but he has been for me the biggest let down since Dolly Parton's bra straps snapped .

The clamour to get him here , the memories of his contribution to our safety last season are all hazy memories as the guy can't even get in the first team on a regular basis.

Dave Cotterill has come in and frankly shown more in his handful of matches than LT all season.

Come back LT  we want you firing on all cylinders as we try to get some points on the board.

Peg's post of the day! Take a bow Maj.

:clapping::clap::worship2:

13 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Yep been really disappointing this season. He just doesn't look fit . He starting to look like Jan Molby 

6 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

This is the 7th post of the thread and no one has blamed a certain someone for not playing him in his best position or whatever and no one has blamed a certain someone else for buying him.

Maybe it's OTIB that has turned a corner- what say you, Major?

Feels like a mixture of both here, Marina

Obviously not trusted by LJ, guess there are defensive responsibilities that he doesn't cover enough. If he was on form and firing (and playing the #10 role) I'm sure he'd get away with it. He is a long way from being that though, so he gets sacrificed. Get the feeling he just needs one good performance and he'll be away again. Villa Park seems like the kind of stage he'd enjoy....but don't see him starting tonight 

10 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

This is the 7th post of the thread and no one has blamed a certain someone for not playing him in his best position or whatever and no one has blamed a certain someone else for buying him.

There is an element of this, I guess.

This situation reminds me very much of Jacki Dziekanowski. When City were playing well, Jacki was on a different level (playing in the hole behind Cole & Rosenior). When they began to struggle he became anonymous in some games.

Every flair (luxury ?) player needs to have the grafters around him on song, when they are not, the flair players struggle.

On a different level I know, but I always think back to an interview by Paul Gascoigne. He was asked which player he enjoyed playing with the most, and without hesitating he said Bryan Robson.

Robson had told Gascoigne on a number of occasions "Gazza, we don't want to see you running around chasing after the ball. I will go and get the ball, then I will give it to you".

Quite simply, IMO, we need to be giving Tomlin the ball whenever possible (when he is picked, of course)

1 minute ago, swanker said:

Whenever he gets the ball he seems to try some kind of fancy trick and gives the ball away. 

Needs to keep it simple 

Yes, you are right.

I don't think this was as obvious at the start of the season when we seemed to have more movement from the players. They seemed to have a better level of anticipation of his next move.

9 minutes ago, Tammys Scan said:

In fairness to Tomlin when can he make a pass forward apart from to a isolated Tammy, nobody has been getting up the pitch enough.

Which might explain in part him dropping so deep, so that there are then players ahead of him he can pass to. 

Great to watch last season a real entertainer . Pre season he looked massive but some of the weight came off. Now he's not been involved for a while he's big again. A genuine talent let down by himself hence he's playing for us. Cost a few quid and in big wages so no chance of recouping the vast majority of his transfer fee. Gutted me 

32 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

It's the "negativity" of the "ever growing nasty atmosphere" at AG that is to blame, remember, although I have yet to see Tomlin "shrink" from all this, as SL suggested last week....

27 minutes ago, Spoons said:

What is more disappointing LT form or the fact the manager spent lots of money on him and can't seem to fit him in the team or get the best out of him? 

Otib's insistence on buying him?

We only saw him play last season when we were on a good run, never saw him in the autumn  (2015) when we were struggling...

(Might have made the decision easier?)

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

I think it must be a mentality thing with Lee-he obviously has bags of ability,but if the noggin ain't right..

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

This is the 7th post of the thread and no one has blamed a certain someone for not playing him in his best position or whatever and no one has blamed a certain someone else for buying him

You tell us what you think Tomlin's position is?

Central midfield?  Hmmmm. Does he tackle enough and get stuck in?

Top of a diamond?  Maybe, but him there leaves the midfield too open.

Wide left of midfield? Hmmm...wasted out there and doesn't track back enough....

I await your reply with interest. I'm sure others do as well.

For all the many players with 'great engines', a 'good eye for a short pass' and ability to 'do the simple stuff' ....it's the players that can do something magic I want to pay to watch.

I would rather turn up to watch a Tomlin, a JET, a Jackie, or a Trundle to deliver just a moment of magic over a team full of hard working Carlton bloody Palmers.....

Archived