IGNORED

EXPLANATION

I know that SL either reads or is told about topics on this forum.

so Steve (or Mrs L), could you spare a few moments to explain in a rational and logical manner why you have allowed this situation to develop at our club?

I like to think I am Mr average City fan, you know, ST holder, go to a few away games, supported for many years, have never chanted for any manager to be sacked, I even buy a half time draw ticket.

But having watched the club I support unravel in front of me I can't for the life of me understand why you have stood by and failed to act.

This is not an attempt to ridicule your unbelievable generosity toward the club, or  claim that you don't care, like me I'm sure you do.

What is the explanation Steve?

Well put. I feel the same way. It's important to make the distinction as you did, there are plenty of fans who will support the team, won't boo or do any of the things SL alluded to last week.. but are becoming concerned about the current state of affairs. To be honest I thought the interview from SL last week came across as defensive and flustered which didn't help the situation.

It's totally reasonable to have concerns or debate Johnson's appointment in the same way it's totally reasonable to debate the merits of picking Taylor over Djuric or whether we should've sold Kodjia.

1 minute ago, Countryfile said:

I know that SL either reads or is told about topics on this forum.

so Steve (or Mrs L), could you spare a few moments to explain in a rational and logical manner why you have allowed this situation to develop at our club?

I like to think I am Mr average City fan, you know, ST holder, go to a few away games, supported for many years, have never chanted for any manager to be sacked, I even buy a half time draw ticket.

But having watched the club I support unravel in front of me I can't for the life of me understand why you have stood by and failed to act.

This is not an attempt to ridicule your unbelievable generosity toward the club, or  claim that you don't care, like me I'm sure you do.

What is the explanation Steve?

SL gave an explanation last week when interviewed on the Subs Bench.

Essentially he sees LJ as an integral part of his long term project and feels he has a like minded manager in place. He's very reluctant to dismiss him because that would mean having to go back to square one with his strategy. He gave LJ a contract extension as sign of his commitment.

Should City lose against Burton then things might change.

Absolutely agree, it would be a common courtesy to explain in simple terms, why SL himself, thinks we are in this dire position.

i cannot imagine that any manager in a position of trust within Lansdowm industries would be able to survive this level of failure.

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Essentially he sees LJ as an integral part of his long term project and feels he has a like minded manager in place. He's very reluctant to dismiss him because that would mean having to go back to square one with his strategy. He gave LJ a contract extension as sign of his commitment.

But the strategy isn't working. SL also seems to think the relegation is ok and that fans will enjoy it when we are challenging for promotion again. All I can say to that is WTF??!!! WTF???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps relegation is fine because it is easier to blood the youngsters from the academy in League One than it is in the Championship and that fits with the plan? Well that plan doesn't cut with this supporter. I want success. Not nurturing and flogging.

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

he doesn't see the fans as part of it then, because the feelings are so low at the moment, I really think the atmosphere saturday will be so toxic the players won't perform (thats what teflon will blame it on)

He must like 12k crowds because thats what will happen

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I don't buy that RR, the project I get, but that is the objective, and while attempting to achieve that objective situations change, factors emerge that weren't there at the beginning, circumstances change, to maintain or improve your chances of completing the project you have to react to those changes, or you are doomed to failure.

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

he doesn't see the fans as part of it then, because the feelings are so low at the moment, I really think the atmosphere saturday will be so toxic the players won't perform (thats what teflon will blame it on)

He must like 12k crowds because thats what will happen

No he doesn't. Fans should stay quiet and do as they are told. Not bothered at all about the fans, just the ******* plan!!!!!

Because SL has set his heart on a forward thinking, innovative coach. It's good PR for the club and has potential to deliver returns beyond investment..

LJ presents himself as that man with soundbites and ideas (although for obvious reasons we're now hearing a lot less about drones and busy kitchens).

Not to ridicule any of those, but speaking with a good deal of experience of "innovation", by definition, no one actually knows if any of it's going to work.

And that's where I think this disconnect with SL lies. He wants forward thinking innovation, and believes LJ is almost unique in offering him exactly that.

The problem is, innovation is only innovation when it succeeds. When it doesn't (and it often won't), it's just a crazy distraction that no one understands.

SL has failed to understand that difference, which is why he doesn't share our desire to go back to basics, since he assumes it will work by brute force.

Go and talk to any startup about innovation and you will NEVER see brute force - test the minimum innovation you have, and if it's not working, give up.

Thought I'd take a look back as some of the info I was sent when being asked to renew my season ticket for 16/17. Can somebody explain what was intended (because i got the wrong end of the stick) when I was asked to "Watch the drama unfold" & "This will be an historic year for Ashton Gate". I think I misunderstood what "Our Journey" was.  :-)

watchthedramaunfold.jpg

historic.jpg

strengthen.jpg

6 minutes ago, Red Grovesy said:

Thought I'd take a look back as some of the info I was sent when being asked to renew my season ticket for 16/17. Can somebody explain what was intended (because i got the wrong end of the stick) when I was asked to "Watch the drama unfold" & "This will be an historic year for Ashton Gate". I think I misunderstood what "Our Journey" was.  :-)

watchthedramaunfold.jpg

historic.jpg

strengthen.jpg

Wow! How do destroy success in half a season flat is certainly dramatic! Historic, well certainly historic in terms of the worst losing streak in the clubs entire history! As for as many fans joining the journey as possible MOST are now saying......NEXT STOP PLEASE DRIVE?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

42 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

But the strategy isn't working. SL also seems to think the relegation is ok and that fans will enjoy it when we are challenging for promotion again. All I can say to that is WTF??!!! WTF???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps relegation is fine because it is easier to blood the youngsters from the academy in League One than it is in the Championship and that fits with the plan? Well that plan doesn't cut with this supporter. I want success. Not nurturing and flogging.

I agree it isn't working,

however I don't think SL thinks relegation is okay one bit though. Fans would rather struggle in this Div (I hope) and hopefully SL thinks the same.

Just a word of warning about Lg1 and blooding youngsters. Mr o Driscoll tried such a tactic... it didn't go well to say the least! 

42 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The thing is that the fact that LJ shares the same philosophy as SL does not necessarily mean that he has the ability to deliver on that philosophy. I'm sure loads of fans share a similar philosophy and won't be given the luxury of millions to tinker with. I wonder whether their shared values include relegation on the roadmap. 

I've absolutely nothing against LJ and completely believe he truly loves the club but by any standard the whole situation is now farcical. It's just not happening. I struggle to see us winning a game between now and the end of the season. 

• Admin
8 minutes ago, MattRSp95 said:

however I don't think SL thinks relegation is okay one bit though.

From his quote last week about the fans will come back when we are back at the top of league one I'd question your point 

Surely there are other candidates able to deliver a stable first team whilst 'the plan' is carried out? LJ, even though he may believe in 'the plan', cannot keep the first team competitive whilst proceeding with 'the plan'.

I can't believe part of 'the plan' is to relegate the first team, is it?

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

From his quote last week about the fans will come back when we are back at the top of league one I'd question your point 

he's not wrong they will, success and winning regardless what league you are in will generate crowds, the higher up you go the bigger the crowd,

It wasn't that long ago we were getting just under 10k a week turning up, we now have 17k a week because we had a small period of success, if we go down, I fully believe the crowds will drop to 12k, if we win league one at a canter I full expect us get 20k plus in some games and hover around 16k,

If we were fighting with Brighton and Newcastle for promotion we'd be getting 24k  

This thread and the OP in particular sum up how I feel. I am totally disallusioned with this club at the moment and the lack of any explanation from the board.

it is clear that we are sinking fast and the occasional result such as Newcastle are just brushing over the cracks.

the sad thing is that I have very little hope that we will beat burton on Saturday and that Johnson will still be in charge if we don't.

my bigger fear is next season and league 1 under this manager and whatever players are left.

very very sad state of affairs and it is clear our opinions count very little to the board especially after the way we voiced our displeasure at the Fulham game.

Explanation: the club want to redevelop the Atyeo but need to acquire the houses in Ashton Road to continue the project. The houses have recently been identified as belonging to LJ property holdings, owner of which has the club over a barrel...

2 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Surely there are other candidates able to deliver a stable first team whilst 'the plan' is carried out? LJ, even though he may believe in 'the plan', cannot keep the first team competitive whilst proceeding with 'the plan'.

I can't believe part of 'the plan' is to relegate the first team, is it?

I posted earlier this week that if LJ is replaced then I think Millen would definitely be on SLs radar.

Not only does Millen know the club inside and out, SL rates him as well.

When Millen was previously in charge he was too inexperienced in management but since then he's gained valuable skills and experience at Palace.

It would be no surprise to me see him in charge next.

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I posted earlier this week that if LJ is replaced then I think Millen would definitely be on SLs radar.

Not only does Millen know the club inside and out, SL rates him as well.

When Millen was previously in charge he was too inexperienced in management but since then he's gained valuable skills and experience at Palace.

It would be no surprise to me see him in charge next.

Wouldn't it be , based on recent history, better if we bought someone in who was in ignorance of the club ? 

I think someone from the board needs to make a statement on the position of  Lee and his coaches. If they are staying in there positions whatever the results then come out and say so all the rumours can stop.  Steve landown in his statement did not make this very clear. He said and correct me if I am wrong  he supports him for now. If he wants him as the top man then replace his coaches we need to do something. I would get big Joe and millen both live in the area to help and maybe it would lift the doom that is at the club. Please Steve do something don't let this great club with magnificent  supporters gown. Not many clubs in our position would take  5k to villa and Newcastle in total. Truly Awsome support

13 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Wouldn't it be , based on recent history, better if we bought someone in who was in ignorance of the club ? 

Lansdown mentioned "interviews" last week and that what managers say and then what they do doesn't always happen.

He sees having a manager he knows and trusts is essential and if LJ is replaced then Millen fits the bill perfectly.

I know this will be against the run of play, so to speak but.. just a thought.

It is often said that if you keep on doing the same thing in the same way you will end up with the same results. Could it be that having watched years of City slumping, sacking the manager and then ( with very few exceptions) the exact same thing happening with a new manager, that SL is trying a different approach, hopefully with the view to a different outcome?

There was an article on the BBC sports page last week that seemed to suggest that despite the new manager " bounce" it was fairly hit or miss whether a new manager made a difference ( Cardiff - yes/Bham-no - for example...). My feeling, for what it's worth ( and I'm ready for the flak!), is that SL is hoping by doing differently the end result will not be the annual bottom of the division battle, now whether that extends to going down before going up I really don't know, and whether he is right is equally unclear but it could well explain why he is backing LJ against,what seems to be, all odds.

Archived