IGNORED

The Worst Scenario of All

wookey

4 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

No. The worst is us getting relegated and sticking with LJ! 

Scary thing is that would no longer shock me.

I now think that is the most likely outcome, infact I'm convinced it will happen. 

11 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

I can imagine a terrible City performance against Burton, but somehow City scrape a draw or a win.  LJ then gives a press conference saying how well City played and the future is rosy.  Steve Lansdown is fooled, yet again,and decides to stick with LJ. The rest of the season is the rubbish we've had since October and City go down.  Then, as you say, we have LJ next season until he'd sacked in the autumn after wasting more of SL's money on payers who can't get into the team. Great excitement on the forum about who the new manager will be, followed by outrage when SL announces we've got a young up and coming manager for the future signed from some non league club.

Another relegation would be the final nail in the coffin for Lansdown's project, I think.

I appreciate all that he has done for us, but in reverting to previous form he's dragged us down to League 1. He's spent a lot of money, but the correct footballing process simply isn't there.

The five pillars got us relegated in the first place, and to get back up to the Championship we had to bring in a manager with the strength to tell Lansdown that it didn't work. Cotterill bucked the trend by spending money and buying experience, something the club was largely against at the time, and that gamble paid off. We struggled in the Championship, most likely because Lansdown wouldn't buy who Cotterill wanted, and he was relieved of his duties, but rather than learning from his mistakes Lansdown hires another SOD. He hires an up and coming manager, tells him what type of players to sign, and reduces his role to head coach. It's literally SOD all over again!

LJ was out of his depth at Bristol City, but I don't put the blame at his feet. For me, it's solely Lansdown's fault. The main bit of blame LJ can take is believing in a project that has failed repeatedly in the past.

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I can imagine a terrible City performance against Burton, but somehow City scrape a draw or a win.  LJ then gives a press conference saying how well City played and the future is rosy.  Steve Lansdown is fooled, yet again,and decides to stick with LJ. The rest of the season is the rubbish we've had since October and City go down.  Then, as you say, we have LJ next season until he'd sacked in the autumn after wasting more of SL's money on payers who can't get into the team. Great excitement on the forum about who the new manager will be, followed by outrage when SL announces we've got a young up and coming manager for the future signed from some EX- non league club.

Just amended that a little for you, hope you don't mind?;)

3 hours ago, wookey said:

The worst scenario of all is, by some miracle, avoiding relegation and then being stuck with LJ for another season.

Unless he could be loaned out to a non-league club to gain experience.

2 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

Whichever division we were in he'd need to have won a fair few games by the end of September or there's simply no way he could stay.

We never recover from relegation quickly, so the chances are he'd be gone by Christmas even if he kept his job after relegation.

The only way I can see him still being here this time next year is with survival and significantly improved performances next season. Which would be fine.

1 hour ago, EnderMB said:

Cotterill bucked the trend by spending money and buying experience, something the club was largely against at the time, and that gamble paid off. We struggled in the Championship, most likely because Lansdown wouldn't buy who Cotterill wanted, and he was relieved of his duties, but rather than learning from his mistakes Lansdown hires another SOD. He hires an up and coming manager, tells him what type of players to sign, and reduces his role to head coach. It's literally SOD all over again!

Think you have hit the nail right smack on the head there imo.

SC - 'Mr Lansdown, we need to buy 5 real quality players on £20k/week to move the team forward'

SL - '£20k/week? WTF. Let's bring in 20 youngsters at £5k/week and we might make a killing on a few to cover the cost'.

And so we go on wasting money because SL refuses to listen to anyone who doesn't agree with his vision of how to do it. 

2 hours ago, EnderMB said:

Another relegation would be the final nail in the coffin for Lansdown's project, I think.

I appreciate all that he has done for us, but in reverting to previous form he's dragged us down to League 1. He's spent a lot of money, but the correct footballing process simply isn't there.

The five pillars got us relegated in the first place, and to get back up to the Championship we had to bring in a manager with the strength to tell Lansdown that it didn't work. Cotterill bucked the trend by spending money and buying experience, something the club was largely against at the time, and that gamble paid off. We struggled in the Championship, most likely because Lansdown wouldn't buy who Cotterill wanted, and he was relieved of his duties, but rather than learning from his mistakes Lansdown hires another SOD. He hires an up and coming manager, tells him what type of players to sign, and reduces his role to head coach. It's literally SOD all over again!

LJ was out of his depth at Bristol City, but I don't put the blame at his feet. For me, it's solely Lansdown's fault. The main bit of blame LJ can take is believing in a project that has failed repeatedly in the past.

The five pillars didn't get us relegated,it's just a business plan which only an idiot could say doesn't make sense.

There were many factors least of all overpaid journeymen who wouldn't put in a shift and youngsters who weren't good enough.

7 minutes ago, 22A said:

Worst scenario; City & the rugby both relegated. SL decides that's enough and walking off leaving both clubs without a benefactor.

I doubt he will walk. His son is basically in training to take over one day. Fully expect Lansdown and family to be here for a while yet.

5 hours ago, wookey said:

The worst scenario of all is, by some miracle, avoiding relegation and then being stuck with LJ for another season.

Sorry but it's clear we need to avoid a win on Saturday for the good of the club. He needs to be gone Saturday evening. We then have 11 cup finals. 

5 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I can imagine a terrible City performance against Burton, but somehow City scrape a draw or a win.  LJ then gives a press conference saying how well City played and the future is rosy.  Steve Lansdown is fooled, yet again,and decides to stick with LJ. The rest of the season is the rubbish we've had since October and City go down.  Then, as you say, we have LJ next season until he'd sacked in the autumn after wasting more of SL's money on payers who can't get into the team. Great excitement on the forum about who the new manager will be, followed by outrage when SL announces we've got a young up and coming manager for the future signed from some non league club.

This.. all day long.

You know the club too well! 

6 hours ago, wookey said:

If we go down and he stays season ticket sales will crash, no way he can stay if we go down 

18 minutes ago, harrys said:

If we go down and he stays season ticket sales will crash, no way he can stay if we go down 

And that might be the one thing that changes SL's mind on LJ: Very poor season ticket sales for the "early bird" rate. Unfortunately they probably won't come out until after May 8th by which time it will be too late anyway.

Beginning to feel like Private Fraser in Dad's Army. "We are all doomed, doomed I tell you!"

6 hours ago, pongo88 said:

if were going to draw with burton were going to need a 4 goal head start .

Archived