IGNORED

Bye bye Orient?

22A

Leyton Orient; currently six points adrift from safety in the bottom two of league 2. They have now been issued with a winding up order for March 20th as they owe £5 million.

I used to enjoy going there as City usually won. One of their directors was in the tea trade and they sold packets of Orient tea in their shop and very tasty it was too. In the early 80s they had a bar that opened onto the terraces so you could grab a pint whilst stood behind the goal. Another memory I have of the Os was when they came to AG on Ray Cashley's birthday. His stars in the paper stated "A good weekend for sport". Orient were 3-1 up at half time, but that City team wasn't like the current crop. Full time City 5 - Orient 3.

3 minutes ago, 22A said:

Leyton Orient; currently six points adrift from safety in the bottom two of league 2. They have now been issued with a winding up order for March 20th as they owe £5 million.

I used to enjoy going there as City usually won. One of their directors was in the tea trade and they sold packets of Orient tea in their shop and very tasty it was too. In the early 80s they had a bar that opened onto the terraces so you could grab a pint whilst stood behind the goal. Another memory I have of the Os was when they came to AG on Ray Cashley's birthday. His stars in the paper stated "A good weekend for sport". Orient were 3-1 up at half time, but that City team wasn't like the current crop. Full time City 5 - Orient 3.

I remember that, about 1971 or maybe 1972.

I think it was the 4th or 5th goal Trevor Tainton crossed field and John Galley met it on the volley from 25 yards and it flew into the top corner at the Open End.

It's the usual story.  The buyers are there ready and waiting but by sitting on their hands the club gets deeper and deeper into financial trouble until they can buy it for a song rather than for a fair price.

This is very hard upon the fans who will launch the "save Leyton Orient" campaigns when it actually in any trouble; it's just a way to force the price down.

Actually, on checking the story, they have been very sensible and are trying to accumulate some cash to pitch in and rescue it if the owner / buyer brinkmanship goes too far.  Clever fans there.

A meeting of the Leyton Orient Fans Trust (Loft) supporters' group will take place on Thursday to establish a financial "fighting fund" to help revive the club should it go into liquidation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39126425

I can remember going in 75/76 . It was probably an optical illusion but there appeared to be more city away fans there than orient home fans.

(I can also remember the city / Mansfield match in 1984 up in Mansfield where the Avon and Somerset police were on duty during the miners strike. It certainly seemed to even up the fan numbers!)

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Real shame. I seem to recall they were pushing for promotion from League One only 2-3 years ago.

Yep....our first season back in league 1, I think they won their first 10 matches of the season? (something like that anyway). Eventually lost in the Play Off Final with Rotherham. Frightening how quickly they've fallen to their current position especially after they were so strong in 13/14.

1 hour ago, BobbyC said:

I remember the Brothel on Leyton High Rd where they would sit at the windows with their tits hanging out........good days!

And now we have tits in the dugout instead.  How times change.

Archived