IGNORED

Atmosphere at Ashton Gate

JakeOTIB

Ever since the redevelopment of Ashton Gate, I have noticed a dip in the Atmosphere. Before, we use to be quite intimidating and much, much louder than we currently are. I don't know whether this is because of the football we play, or the fans not knowing how to create one. I am a season ticket holder in the South Stand, and I always hear glimpses of a chant beginning. But literally after the first verse and it usually being quite quiet, it dies down. It feels quite dead at Ashton Gate, so I would like to gauge everybody's thoughts.

29 minutes ago, JakeOTIB said:

Ever since the redevelopment of Ashton Gate, I have noticed a dip in the Atmosphere. Before, we use to be quite intimidating and much, much louder than we currently are. I don't know whether this is because of the football we play, or the fans not knowing how to create one. I am a season ticket holder in the South Stand, and I always hear glimpses of a chant beginning. But literally after the first verse and it usually being quite quiet, it dies down. It feels quite dead at Ashton Gate, so I would like to gauge everybody's thoughts.

People have no interest in singing. Some will say it is down to the football on display but even in September the noise at AG was poor. The amount of people in the Atyeo who stand arms crossed for 90 mins just chatting to their mates or on their phones is staggering. 

I think the same is true of many grounds across the country. Villa fans were very quiet on Tuesday, especially in the first half. Quiet home fans seems to be becoming the norm. In my view Ashton Gate is no worse for that than most other grounds.

2 minutes ago, Offside said:

I think the same is true of many grounds across the country. Villa fans were very quiet on Tuesday, especially in the first half. Quiet home fans seems to be becoming the norm. In my view Ashton Gate is no worse for that than most other grounds.

No, it's just as bad as the rest now though.

At least with the old East End there was the atmosphere to have a bit of fun with. Wasn't always a wall of noise but at least it was a bit of fun instead of having to sit in silence whilst watching same old City on the pitch.

9 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

Shite since the East End went.

Need a bigger singing section not tucked away in the corner. Should have been in the South Stand to begin with.

Couldnt agree more!!Why on earth are they not behind the goal?It looks empty  from the dolman and no intimidation whatsoever to the away team!!

8 minutes ago, cockneydave said:

Couldnt agree more!!Why on earth are they not behind the goal?It looks empty  from the dolman and no intimidation whatsoever to the away team!!

To be fair it would still look empty with the couple of hundred max home fans in the middle of the Atyeo.

1 hour ago, swanker said:

Loosing ten on the trot might have something to do with it. People have this tendency to feel cheesed off watching Bristol City at the moment. 

Totally agree with you mate, but have to point out we haven't lost ten on the trot this season, it's been awful, but please don't round our record losing run up to ten!

1 minute ago, Nomad said:

Atmosphere left the Gate in the early 90's IIRC.

Think we all look back on the past with rose tinted glasses and remember certain games with brilliant atmospheres but there were plenty of games where it was the opposite in the 90's too.

1 minute ago, The_Don said:

Lots of people do, myself included, but it seems it doesn't count unless your in the cheap seats.

But the OP sits in the south stand.

Good for you though, where do you sit in the ground?

37 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

Shite since the East End went...

I agree but when do you think the East End went? To me it went when we had to put seats in and let away fans into half of it. It was never the same after that and that was when the atmosphere at the Gate finally went.

It will never be the same again. Fully appreciate some youngsters obviously didn't sample the East End of the '70s and '80s but when it was in full battle cry together with the Enclosure, Park End and Dolman A & B blocks - THAT was impressive and intimidating....and as @slartibartfast rightly said, it wasn't just singing that made it so intimidating, it was more about the sheer noise and passion....not cheesy, cringy chants...

It hasn't been anywhere near that since...

3 minutes ago, The_Don said:

Think we all look back on the past with rose tinted glasses and remember certain games with brilliant atmospheres but there were plenty of games where it was the opposite in the 90's too.

I can't disagree with that but I do think it has declined in every decade since I started watching in the 70's (generally). For me the most noticeable (from my aged memory) was when they moved the away fans for the Atyeo build. But as a B block regular of that day I guess the rose tinted may be in play there again. I can't even recall if they managed to complete the build in between campaigns - I just recall not knowing where to sit with no away fans below and right - GS wasn't quite the same.

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I agree but when do you think the East End went? To me it went when we had to put seats in and let away fans into half of it. It was never the same after that and that was when the atmosphere at the Gate finally went.

It will never be the same again. Fully appreciate some youngsters obviously didn't sample the East End of the '70s and '80s but when it was in full battle cry together with the Enclosure, Park End and Dolman A & B blocks - THAT was impressive and intimidating....and as @slartibartfast rightly said, it wasn't just singing that made it so intimidating, it was more about the sheer noise and passion....not cheesy, cringy chants...

It hasn't been anywhere near that since...

Just mentioned the demise of B block being the end of the special atmosphere for me. Spent some of the 70's and 80's in the EE but my real home was B block late 80's and 90's.

Has definitely got worse in the last 10 years and especially since the East End went.

The South Stand would have been ideal for the vocal fans but impossible with varied factors as it turned out.

There is rose tinted spectacles though in a way- on the flipside I remember Swindon at home 2 years ago, Bristol derby 2013 and quite a few other games in the last 10 being excellent- but overall yeah last 10 and accelerated since the EastEnd went.

2 hours ago, JakeOTIB said:

Demographics, design and a lack of intent from Bristol City FC to do anything different. The consequences of a quiet stadium are not  a surprise.

Archived