IGNORED

MY TYPE OF PLAYER

generation1

Just to get the subject changed for once thought I would express my views on "my type of player"

we all know that football has altered much over the years ,certainly in my long viewing time so just what is your type of player?

I am unwavering in my support of the old type big man somewhat of a disappearing breed .

in my time my top 3 in order that they appeared for the club were

1 Paul Cheesley  a player who in my opinion would have been an England forward if injury had not cut his playing time

2 Jon Steed  still playing he was a player who had a good relationship with the fans

3 Wilbs  did not strike many as a great signing but still puts himself about far more than many younger than him

those are my choices ,anyone like to give theirs. can be any position and from any era as long as you saw them play

And the Out and out wingers who fed them 

1) Walshy - thunderous shot on him , a goalscorer and provider .

2) Gavin - stood out against us at Wembley was overjoyed when he signed . Tricky customer.

3) Pritchard - Welsh winger who set up plenty and was a useful scorer himself.

Honourable mentions to 

Whitehead , Owen , despite his prowess at penalties, Adomah and  ' He must score , it's Bent ' .

34 minutes ago, generation1 said:

Just to get the subject changed for once thought I would express my views on "my type of player"

we all know that football has altered much over the years ,certainly in my long viewing time so just what is your type of player?

I am unwavering in my support of the old type big man somewhat of a disappearing breed .

1 Paul Cheesley  a player who in my opinion would have been an England forward if injury had not cut his playing time

2 Jon Steed  still playing he was a player who had a good relationship with the fans

3 Wilbs  did not strike many as a great signing but still puts himself about far more than many younger than him

those are my choices ,anyone like to give theirs. can be any position and from any era as long as you saw them play

That's a big gap from PC to John the "Steed"? Stead.

What about Trev Morgan, Nicky Morgan, Robbie Turner et al? Trev was so big he had the turning circle of an articulated lorry.

43 minutes ago, generation1 said:

Totally with you on Wilbs especially, the guy's a legend.

44 minutes ago, generation1 said:

Mick Harford over Stead. 

Dave 'Smudger' Smith - Used to get the whole Dolman on their feet when he went flying down the wing.

Steve Galliers - 5FT nothing and hard as nails

Shaun Taylor - Solid as a rock and a steal for 100 grand

Bob Taylor - God

Junior Bent - Did all the hard work but most of the time hit the hotdog stand

Alan Walsh, Scott Murray and Mark Gavin - flying wingers with guts, determination and could wrap their foot around an apple let alone a football - a forgotten art of strong powerful wing-play.

Loved the similarities and the differences. If cross not converted Scott would kinda do the dramatic head on hands to the fans, Walshy would kinda stare at nothing in particular but the general direction of the box and Gavin would go bat shit crazy in the direction of everybody from the fans to our own goalkeeper right back up the other end - you could hear his swearing from the top of the dolman !!

I find it impossible to pick just three but for the sake of the subject

Alan Walsh - Growing up and watching him on that left wing always left an impression

Steve Phillips - Yes it turned sour and he was accused at being bad at crosses but if he was 100% at that he would have been in the Premier League. An awesome shot stopper who saved us more than he let us down

Bradley Orr - Not the best player we had but at the start of his City career it was going badly teamwise under Brian Tinnion. I remember one particular game, we'd lost at home and you could see the hurt and anger at another bad result in Orr's face and mannerism. He may have been a Scouse and new at the club but it was evident he was a City man and he cared.

11 hours ago, Neo said:

Alan Walsh, Scott Murray and Mark Gavin - flying wingers with guts, determination and could wrap their foot around an apple let alone a football - a forgotten art of strong powerful wing-play.

Loved the similarities and the differences. If cross not converted Scott would kinda do the dramatic head on hands to the fans, Walshy would kinda stare at nothing in particular but the general direction of the box and Gavin would go bat shit crazy in the direction of everybody from the fans to our own goalkeeper right back up the other end - you could hear his swearing from the top of the dolman !!

How could I have forgotten Scotty ?

:facepalm:

Archived