IGNORED

They are a good team who just aren't getting a bit of luck.

JHAGa

Nigel Clough on Bristol City.

Whilst I agree to an extent (especially in the early stages of our bad run) that we have been very unlucky in games before confidence dropped in all areas, I find that hearing this said by opposition managers so frequently about us (as well as our own) so very irritating. Ultimately, if we were good enough, we'd get the results. Maybe not in all games, but we certainly wouldn't lose every game due to bad luck or win 3 league games in half of a domestic season.

No sentiment for sympathy in football. You make your own luck.

4 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

Nigel Clough on Bristol City.

Whilst I agree to an extent (especially in the early stages of our bad run) that we have been very unlucky in games before confidence dropped in all areas, I find that hearing this said by opposition managers so frequently about us (as well as our own) so very irritating. Ultimately, if we were good enough, we'd get the results. Maybe not in all games, but we certainly wouldn't lose every game due to bad luck or win 3 league games in half of a domestic season.

No sentiment for sympathy in football. You make your own luck.

I like Clough, same character as his Dad unsurprisingly,  but he's just being polite the league table does not not lie or include hard luck stories. Teams are where they are on merit ...and we're shit.

Clough is just playing mind games. His way of saying 'Please continue playing the way you have for the last 5 months as that will increase my chances of taking 3 points to add to my tally towards staying up this season'. 

3 wins in 5 months is not unlucky, its complete and utter mismanagement on all levels that achieves that kind of result! 

13 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

He also compared LJ to Chris Hughton who had a difficult season at Brighton a couple of seasons back and that we might have done the right thing keeping him on.

What the right thing for Burton ensuring that there are at least 2 teams worse than them in the League?

Thanks Nige but we are where we are due to more than bad luck.

A team is not in our position because of bad luck.

However, I do think that at key points in games earlier in the season we were unlucky and that bad luck has gone on to shape our season.

For example, the week of the Wednesday defeat earlier in the season. On the Saturday against Rotherham we hit the post in the last minute but it bounced out and we drew. Against Wednesday Tomlin hit the woodwork with a penalty that would have seen us go 3-1 up ( in the days when we would probably have held on for the win) and on the following Saturday against Derby Tomlin hit the bar in the last minute and again we drew. Had any or all of those gone in off the woodwork it  might have kept our momentum going and who knows how the season would have unfolded?. 

As it was, after that week we started going backwards very quickly.

17 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

I like Clough, same character as his Dad unsurprisingly,  but he's just being polite the league table does not not lie or include hard luck stories. Teams are where they are on merit ...and we're shit.

Eh?

Did you ever see a clip of Cloughie? Or get a clip round the ear from Cloughie?

As I say...eh?

Reading and Derby have also been handed penalties for dives against us, whilst we've had numerous appeals turned down that should have resulted in a penalty for us.

I do sympathise to an extent but like I said, ultimately if we were good enough we wouldn't be on such a horrendous run.

32 minutes ago, Lee F said:

Clough is just playing mind games. His way of saying 'Please continue playing the way you have for the last 5 months as that will increase my chances of taking 3 points to add to my tally towards staying up this season'. 

3 wins in 5 months is not unlucky, its complete and utter mismanagement on all levels that achieves that kind of result! 

Exactly... Please keep LJ then we only have 1 relegation spot to worry about....

17 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

mmm I wonder, could we ever tempt Nigel to come here? Like someone else said, big fan of his old man so yeah  ..

He didn't fancy Nottingham Forest 5 mins up the road so doubt he'd be interested. 

1 minute ago, CotswoldRed said:

He didn't fancy Nottingham Forest 5 mins up the road so doubt he'd be interested. 

You're right.. I guess even our next manager will be only someone who SL has this tiny, tiny hunch  maybe, just maybe , one day   in the future.. somewhere down the line. might, could even make  a top head coach if he gets a bit more luck than Lee.   oh bollocks

Archived