IGNORED

Korey Smith

And Its Smith

9 minutes ago, Clint said:

Did Bryan put in a decent cross today? I can't remember one to be honest

Several in the first half, but he was hampered by the fact that he just had one target man to aim at in the box.

In the second half he was anonymous at best, and dire on occasions.

Both wing backs were dire today and certainly did not manage to do what they were presumably there to do. 442 (with hindsight) would have been a better formation to start with. At least it would have nullified any of their attacking threats, which all came from over exposure in the full back position.

Today was my first live game for nearly three months. I was amazed at how much we have regressed as a footballing team. We could not string two passes together most of the time.

The writing really is on the wall. We are doomed.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

That is the main problem we have had all season. Mainly because tomlin does not ever get in the box. It makes it so much harder for a wide player when theres no one arriving. Burton at times had 3 or 4 arriving in the box, we had one. 

Indeed. Or none!

Why Taylor and Djuric should have started IMO.

Decided to use this thread to post my match comments a) because Korey Smith was our best player by an absolute mile and b) because there was fvck all else to comment on. This was the straw but to be fair the camel broke its back weeks ago.

Despite being (respectfully) done with LJ for a while now, with the recent away games it has felt like my comments (attempted at being honest) have been more positive than the general tone on here. Certainly that was my take after re-reading.

Today that won't happen. Today was as poor as Fulham at home and was as poor as the 8 game run. We were back to passing it around at the back and then hoofing it forward to Wilbraham. This was zero advertisement for a bright future.

I don't care that Tomlin hit the crossbar with time to bring the ball down and score right at the start of the game. I don't care that he put a penalty into orbit. I don't care that Wilbraham had a decent goal disallowed. I care about the football.

By trying to be impartial in talking about the quality of the team not just the results, I can only describe today's "cup final" as the culmination of an utterly pathetic run of amateurish football, from someone who has set our team back years.

We looked good for all of the first five minutes and a spell towards the end around 85 minutes, but over the full 90 I thought Burton, a team who has spent 1/50th of us this season, was everything I would have wanted us to be for a six pointer.

I'm done with describing City. When Burton got the ball they were able to break at pace and string 4-5 passes in and around our box. When we got the ball it was slow it down, turn sideways, 3 passes across the back, then eventually hoof upfield.

Today was just a rehash of the very worst of all 8 of the games we lost in a row. It was worse than the past two away games by a distance. Even if you use Newcastle as a defence for Johnson, today surely we went backwards by any measure.

And on that note, our best player since he's been here is Cotterill. O'Dowda was also a revelation the past two away games. So Johnson drops one and neutralises the other (Cotterill) by switching to 3-5-2 and asking him to cover back.

When it fizzled out from about 25 to 75 minutes, no surprise we switch back to 4-4-2 along with multiple substitutions. Whether it's over the course of the game or a season, LJ is a man who seems to think it's okay to make and fix mistakes.

It's just so utterly feeble when a team like Burton can pass and move comfortably through us the entire game. Forget the penalty and the "goal" - anyone who defends the manner of our performance today is just supporting rubbish.

The standard of football is so low now, the implication of the post match interview from LJ and the inaction of the club is that we should be grateful for being the second best footballing side to a Burton team that passed up an open goal.

If today was the attempt to win our "cup final", the club have finally broken me - I'm embarrassed to be a City fan and today, as a microcosm of much of the past six months, was the most feeble football I have seen from City in my life.

Giefler 6 No mistakes, didn't have much to do but very lucky with the chances Burton passed up

Magnusson 7 Thought he did well as he always does, always got the better of the player he was around

Flint 6 Still the most committed at the back but distribution with the ball and headers upfield all over the place

Wright 6 Another tough but unspectacular performance

O'Neil 5 Looked totally off the pace after heroics at Villa. Solid in phases but generally miles off getting hold of the midfield

Smith 8 Our best player by a frightening distance. Same as at Newcastle. Worked his proverbials off. Put the rest of them to shame.

Reid 4 I don't know if Tomlin's unpredictable positioning caused this, but having Reid at times pushing up as a forward or false 9 is not what I see him as doing well, and so it was, he had an absolutely terrible performance and was the crowd scapegoat with good reason - made the wrong decision continually in advanced positions. I still think he looks SO much better when he drops back and plays out of a deeper position.

Cotterill 5 He's been our best player since he's been here, a class above with clear Championship quality but today he was totally played out of the game by the formation, too deep to affect the game when covering wing back, some good stuff from set pieces but Johnson rendered him virtually irrelevant.

Bryan 4 Very poor - picked up where he left off with Adomah at Villa being several yards off their wingers and allowing cross after cross... going forward he put all manner of crosses anywhere but near our players - too short and into a defender, too long and into the stand. Had a shocker again.

Tomlin 3 Probably the single poorest performance of a City player this season. It beggars belief that Johnson may have set the team and formation up in the 3-5-2 just to accommodate this clown. Routinely gave the ball away trying to do it all himself without passing. Some pathetic touches gifted possession to them. Way off with his passing. Drifted out of position frequently. His worst ever City performance. Was amazed he was allowed to take the penalty.

Wilbraham 5 Looked more tired than he did in the two away games. Gave it his all but treated poorly by the referee and asking him to be one up top in a game like this is like asking Stephen Hawking to represent the UK in the Eurovision Song Contest.

Subs:

Duric 7 Thought as per usual he did really well, won everything he was asked to win - not fancy and not cultured, but does what he is asked of. Even as a sub was the second best player we had besides Korey.

Taylor 5 Didn't really get into the game at any point - another of LJ's signings who is already disappearing without trace

Paterson 5 As with Villa, anytime you bring Jamie Paterson on with 5 minutes remaining and needing a goal, you know how tragic your club has become

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Bryan did have a poor game for sure but then so did Bobby Reid who was so weak in midfield. A bloke near me called him "powder puff". Very apt I thought.

I actually felt sorry for Bobby.  A day when every decision he made he got wrong.  But he doesn't hide....and I'll allow him today's 'mare.

@Ole, though O'Neil was good today, along with Korey and Hordur.

5221 is a FM17 formation.  It nullified Cotterill...who'd been great up to today.

How many players will be out of the 'circle of trust' tonight.  Maybe Tomlin is in it and there are no longer enough players, so he gets a game.

Good post Ole and agree with you 100%.

After 67 years of boom for one year and bust for nine, I've decided to stop wasting my time and money on this drivel. Enough of the poor quality and total lack of entertainment. Johnson is definitely the worst manager since 1950 without any shadow of doubt. 

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I actually felt sorry for Bobby.  A day when every decision he made he got wrong.  But he doesn't hide....and I'll allow him today's 'mare.

@Ole, though O'Neil was good today, along with Korey and Hordur.

5221 is a FM17 formation.  It nullified Cotterill...who'd been great up to today.

How many players will be out of the 'circle of trust' tonight.  Maybe Tomlin is in it and there are no longer enough players, so he gets a game.

Oh that's good! He's been playing championship football for near 2 years now and I can count the good games he's had at this level on one hand.

He's 24 now, ripe footballing age and he still isn't progressing. Infact can you even say what his best position is?

12 minutes ago, Sergio Georgini said:

Oh that's good! He's been playing championship football for near 2 years now and I can count the good games he's had at this level on one hand.

He's 24 now, ripe footballing age and he still isn't progressing. Infact can you even say what his best position is?

You obviously don't rate him.  Fine.

I don't think he's the greatest player either, but he was a key player in our early season form...and as I said, never hides, never doesn't want the ball.  He had a 'mare today, he's had games where he's made mistakes.  I wasn't making him out to be Zidane was I, so why the response?

In the shit 5 months we've had, very few players have come to the fore.

His best position is Midfield.  Happy?

Archived