IGNORED

Managerial Candidates

tinman85

12 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

He certainly talks a good game, but the same could be said about our current manager, wouldn't you say?

GN has a fantastic CV as a player, but his CV as a manager....well he hasn't earned his stripes, to say the least.

He got the England assistant job by default and he got the Valencia job by default, neither went well at all for him.

He is proving to be very out-spoken in the media and has rubbed manager and fans up the wrong way, including calling an Arsenal fan an 'idiot' on air. Not hugely level headed behaviour?! I wonder if some prem managers would actually want to do with business with him after he slagged them off?! Could be tough getting prem youth loans!

I agree he certainly has personal characteristics that appeal, but surely he is such a huge gamble just at a time when we shouldn't be taking one.

SL took LJ on a 'hunch' and Neville would be arguably even more so, IMO. Surely we need someone more proven next time? I personally bloody well hope so.

Depending if he / when he pulls the trigger on SL

If we are already relegated , personally I see an appointment for L1 as having more leeway for a slight punt / gamble than if we were to hang on to the Championship which is no place for a Coach to develop (Can argue that rules out GN but feel he's experienced enough in so many areas that the managers role should be a minor transition in England)

3 minutes ago, JakeOTIB said:

That's the worrying thing. Maby of the better managers (Warnock, Monk etc...) have already been snapped up because other clubs reacted quicker. Unfortunately, if we don't act quickly now, we'll lose our current best option in Gary Rowett. 

Do you / anyone think Rowett would take it as we now stand ?

I don't 

At the very best I think he'd do as Warburton has apparently done with Forest and said , if you stay up I'll come in for next season

Would he risk his current 'hot' status on us ?

Really don't think so ( He might have done 4/5 weeks ago )

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I don't 

At the very best I think he'd do as Warburton has apparently done with Forest and said , if you stay up I'll come in for next season

I think LJ still should've been sacked 4/5 weeks ago tbh. Cardiff was the last straw for me. Clearly outdone by an experienced manager. 

7 minutes ago, JakeOTIB said:

I think LJ still should've been sacked 4/5 weeks ago tbh. Cardiff was the last straw for me. Clearly outdone by an experienced manager. 

I would have been asking serious questions in the weeks following Huddersfield 

Unfortunately we are where we are now (In one almighty hole) 

SL played Russian Roulette a few weeks ago and it looks a bad choice

I genuinely believe removing LJ is our only hope of having any chance of staying up and would see a reaction from players and fans

Dont really fancy a Internal caretaker appointment but I don't think we could get any worse

I can see Millen 'helping out' in a short term caretaker facility - and that depresses me if I'm honest 

6 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

The thought of Coterill returning is exciting, and that is depressing having seen him leave only just a year ago. A man with tactics and a talented LARGE squad.

Don't think for a moment he'd be interested or be considered 

Too many wounds on both sides !!!!!

16 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I don't 

I agree. Which is what hacks me off that even though it was clear weeks ago that LJ was done here we have let this descend to a point where our league position is going to put anyone bar the desperate off.

Two other names to throw into the mix: Chris Powell and Kenny Jackett. 

Powell has been promoted from L1 before so if the worst does happen this season, he knows the ropes in L1. Not sure if he'd want to leave his current role as assistant manager at Derby, but if he was interested, we could do a lot worse. 

Jackett has also been promoted from L1 and has plenty of experience.

1 minute ago, milo1111 said:

I agree. Which is what hacks me off that even though it was clear weeks ago that LJ was done here we have let this descend to a point where we our league position is going to put anyone bar the desperate off.

Our current situation having pushed ourself into a hole and potentially asking a new appointment to perform a near miracle to get us out of this reminded me of a funny

Played cricket with a (very good) older off spinner, and 'character'  'Stan'

Played in a league match where the skipper and opening bowler, and three others had gone round the park and the scoreboard was 200+ for 1

The skipper threw the ball to Stan

'See what you can do Stan'

Stan threw the ball back and said.      

'You bowled the buggers in , you bowl them out'.   !!!

6 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Powell has been promoted from L1 before so if the worst does happen this season, he knows the ropes in L1. Not sure if he'd want to leave his current role as assistant manager at Derby, but if he was interested, we could do a lot worse. 

Id like Jackett or Powell you know. Both very realistic  and solid shouts.The window for  Rowett has gone IMO, he wont come here now... Jackett and Powell both have the experience and know how when it comes to promotion from League one if the worst should happen.

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Our current situation having pushed ourself into a hole and potentially asking a new appointment to perform a near miracle to get us out of this reminded me of a funny

Played cricket with a (very good) older off spinner, and 'character'  'Stan'

Played in a league match where the skipper and opening bowler, and three others had gone round the park and the scoreboard was 200+ for 1

The skipper threw the ball to Stan

'See what you can do Stan'

Stan threw the ball back and said.      

'You bowled the buggers in , you bowl them out'.   !!!

Perhaps this is actually what SL is doing with LJ saying to him' you got us into this mess you can get us out :shutup:

3 minutes ago, bris red said:

Id like Jackett or Powell you know. Both very realistic  and solid shouts.The window for  Rowett has gone IMO, he wont come here now... Jackett and Powell both have the experience and know how when it comes to promotion from League one if the worst should happen.

Both far more appealing than LJ and have done the business in league 1 before. I expect someone like this to be appointed when we are all but down in 2 to 4 weeks time.

8 hours ago, tinman85 said:

No no no. We want proven experience. Fed up with taking rubbish from the lower leagues. We might as well support Yeovil! Need to start having an ambitious mindset across the club. This just sums up the mentality. We always seem to accept second best. Life is about taking risks occasionally and trying to achieve something. 

So which one is it then?

8 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Are you lot for real?  You want to get rid of a Johnson and replace him with TISDALE? Has any of you spoken to an Exeter supporter in the last couple of years?  Or Rosler, sacked from six jobs in 12 years?  Warburton, whose tenure at Rangers was disastrous?  Is that honestly the best you can do?  At least come up with a decent alternative.

Warburton's Rangers tenure "disastrous" are you having a laugh?

He got them promoted back into the SPL in his first season but they're not financially strong enough yet to get anywhere near Celtic, I suggest you do your research before making stupid comments like that. He wasn't even sacked, he resigned.

Look up what he did at Brentford as well when he took over from Rosler, he's a very good manager.

Adkins the man for me, won promotion from league 1 more than once. Won this this league with back to back promotions with Southampton whilst developing players like scniderlin and lallana. Sheffield United didn't go too well but who has over recent years?

10 hours ago, North London Red said:

Chris Powell is a very good shout.

He's been shafted a couple of times while doing pretty well in the Championship with Huddersfield and Charlton; so has a point to prove.

Decent guy as well, not apparently confrontational, so that might appeal to SL :fingerscrossed:

11 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Clearly intelligent and talks a very good game. His autobiography is also an excellent and insightful read.

None of which guarantees any sort of success but I'd rather he was in the dugout on Tuesday than Johnson, that's for sure. Although I'd probably say the same for....well, anyone.

Your first sentence describes LJ perfectly.

Archived