IGNORED

Pemberton gone?

Kid in the Riot

Lansdown's 'testament' on the website has made it even worse for me too, which i didn't think was possible. ''After reviewing our plans for the future, John wasn't part of them''. Jesus ******* christ. What plans are that? Mid table League One?   

6 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Lansdown's 'testament' on the website has made it even worse for me too, which i didn't think was possible. ''After reviewing our plans for the future, John wasn't part of them''. Jesus ******* christ. What plans are that? Mid table League One?   

Well, of course. JP is clearly a Championship coach.

1 minute ago, Bat Fastard said:

Well our defence, coached by JP, has been truly wonderful.....NOT

Obviously, due to logistical reasons, I don't get to watch the team as often as you - limited to Player - but is the poor defensive form due to poor coaching or poor management/tactics?

1 minute ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Obviously, due to logistical reasons, I don't get to watch the team as often as you - limited to Player - but is the poor defensive form due to poor coaching or poor management/tactics?

It is clearly down to a number of issues, but there have been discussions between the board and Lee that have led to this.  Right or wrong, they are clearly trying to solve the problems - and the reaction of many fans on this forum do not sem very helpful.  We are all frustrated, but we have short memories - and hiring and firing managers every few months has rarely done us much good.  There is clearly a long-term strategy in place to lift the club into a better position.  Currently it is not going at all well at first team level - but they are trying to fix it!

6 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Well our defence, coached by JP, has been truly wonderful.....NOT

Yes it's that simple - NOT.

Ever thought to consider our goals against record is also be impacted by the constant changes to the team, players constantly changing position unable to find any consistency, players in the team for a a game then out for the next 3 regardless of performance, 3 "formations" per game, not selecting one of our better defenders and of course some shambolic individual mistakes due to having the confidence sapped out of them during the worst run in our history.

I'm not saying Pemberton shouldn't have gone but there is one individual who is ultimately responsible for the failings on the pitch, and he is still in a job.

23 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

It is clearly down to a number of issues, but there have been discussions between the board and Lee that have led to this.  Right or wrong, they are clearly trying to solve the problems - and the reaction of many fans on this forum do not sem very helpful.  We are all frustrated, but we have short memories - and hiring and firing managers every few months has rarely done us much good.  There is clearly a long-term strategy in place to lift the club into a better position.  Currently it is not going at all well at first team level - but they are trying to fix it!

To be fair, there have been murmurs of a new defensive coach (not KM) being brought in soonish, even before Saturday, and it may be that he adds a bit of improvement to the defence.

My point, however, and I repeat that I am limited to watching games on Player so do not have the benefit of being able to see the panorama of the whole pitch, is that I often get the impression the defence is being sold short by the lack of cover from the midfield, exacerbated by the fact there appears to be no consistency in selection, i.e. sometimes a 3 man defence, sometimes 4 and, of course, rarely the same defensive players.

Is that a problem due to an inadequate defensive coach or to inadequate management?  

2 minutes ago, Kibs said:

Ever thought to consider our goals against record is also be impacted by the constant changes to the team, players constantly changing position unable to find any consistency, players in the team for a a game then out for the next 3 regardless of performance, 3 "formations" per game, not selecting one of our better defenders and of course some shambolic individual mistakes due to having the confidence sapped out of them during the worst run in our history.

I'm not saying Pemberton shouldn't have gone but there is one individual who is ultimately responsible for the failings on the pitch, and he is still in a job.

It seems we are thinking along the same lines....

12 hours ago, famouslastword said:

So why all the love? if everyone wants Johnson out, surely you should want the man who has coached our defence to ship goals week in week out also sent packing?

If much of Pembo's coaching is negated by the team being set up by LJ in a way that produces excessive pressure on that defence there's not much the 'defensive coach' can do about it.

10 hours ago, pnefcok said:

Can only guess from an opposition fan's viewpoint, but from the outside looks like your owner is in denial about the manager being out of his depth and has sanctioned the removal of the assistant and the head of scouting as part of that.

Spot on. Its farcical what happening down here.  I don't actually disagree with the 'sacking' of the assistant but it should have been the whole management team going.  Unfortunately, and as you point, out he's been sacrificed to cover for others failings.  He's been replaced by another one of the members of the jobs for the boys club.  It's criminal what's occurring down here.

34 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

To be fair, there have been murmurs of a new defensive coach (not KM) being brought in soonish, even before Saturday, and it may be that he adds a bit of improvement to the defence.

My point, however, and I repeat that I am limited to watching games on Player so do not have the benefit of being able to see the panorama of the whole pitch, is that I often get the impression the defence is being sold short by the lack of cover from the midfield, exacerbated by the fact there appears to be no consistency in selection, i.e. sometimes a 3 man defence, sometimes 4 and, of course, rarely the same defensive players.

Is that a problem due to an inadequate defensive coach or to inadequate management?  

Mmm. Can we see yet another defensive coach come in aswell as Jamie Mc Allister an extra coach on the coaching staff?

14 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Johnson stating 'The Club' decided to dispense with Pembo and he had no problem with him

When pushed by Chris Spittles (Fair play) as to whether it was Johnsons , Ashton's or Lansdown decision he then stated it was a decision made by 'him and the board'

Then describes McCallister as young and enthusiastic

Brilliant

A complete weasel 

LJ also said that "he would shake his hand."

I'd rather he didn't… 

Condescending twerp

20 minutes ago, ontariored said:

Do we specifically know what Pembo's role was on the coaching staff with LJ. Some say it was the defensive coach but I thought that was Holden? 

Pemberton said himself his responsibility was for the defence.

As I pointed out at the time LJ said he was bringing in "another coach to concentrate on the forwards" then he brought in his mate Holden, who when he played was a right back!

49 minutes ago, Kibs said:

This is the nub of it for me. Getting rid of Pemberton might ultimately have been the right thing to do, but if he was to be fired they all should have gone. And as I said on another post he is the last one I would have let go out of the 3 that were running the first team. He was our safe pair of hands if we needed a caretaker, and a decent bloke who is as honest as the day is long. As someone else has said LJ has quite possibly attempted to strengthen his own position by getting Pemberton removed. It seems absolutely obvious that LJ should have been the first to go given that he is ultimately responsible for the abject disaster that this season has become, but for reasons only apparent to the powers that be he has been deemed unsackable and they have gone with this option instead.

As many people have said, the McAllister appointment is the clearest example yet of the jobs for the boys approach that the board seem to like. LJ and JM are close mates, I know that to be fact, and it just makes it all that bit easier for LJ as there is nobody there now who will question him.

It is crystal clear now that LJ is here for the long haul, and it is a very sad situation IMO. I absolutely love this club, but just feel completely bewildered by everything that is going on at the moment.  I think we're left with 3 choices. 1. Accept LJ is here to stay, get behind the team and hope that he can fly in the face of all logic and keep us up. 2. Stay away until something changes. 3. Shout, stamp our feet, and protest until something gets done, which could well be some time.

As a fan I really don't know which option to take. As I say, I love the club but at the moment I really don't like what it's become. I think option 2 would only be effective when it's time to look at ST renewals, as that is the only time it will hit them in the pocket. Also, the club don't seem to give two sh1ts what we think at the moment so I can't see option 3 working either. It really is a sh1tty, unprecedented situation and I just don't like what we are becoming.

30 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Pemberton said himself his responsibility was for the defence.

As I pointed out at the time LJ said he was bringing in "another coach to concentrate on the forwards" then he brought in his mate Holden, who when he played was a right back!

Thats what confused me ie Holden being a right back. So, LJ plyed as a midfielder, Holden a right back, Pembo played in defense. Should imagine there were a few disagreements.. 

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

If much of Pembo's coaching is negated by the team being set up by LJ in a way that produces excessive pressure on that defence there's not much the 'defensive coach' can do about it.

Bingo. Or a miracle worker.

Archived