IGNORED

Redemption for Lee Johnson?

reddogkev

What will it take to restore his reputation within our eyes?

If we fight off relegation this season, and have a good pre-season of summer recruitment, will all be forgiven?

On Saturday, I had finally got to the point of wanting rid of Lee, but SL and the board clearly don't agree... yet.  I've now taken stock again, and in view of the fact that we should've beaten Burton 2-0 (Wilbs and Tomlin penalty), perhaps there is still time for him to turn things around - starting with a shock win against a wounded Norwich this evening.

Say we stay up, and start August well, and then linger around the top half next year, I wonder if LJ can win back our support.

I still want LJ to succeed, for the simple reason it means City succeed.

2 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

If we fight off relegation this season, and have a good pre-season of summer recruitment, will all be forgiven?

On Saturday, I had finally got to the point of wanting rid of Lee, but SL and the board clearly don't agree... yet.  I've now taken stock again, and in view of the fact that we should've beaten Burton 2-0 (Wilbs and Tomlin penalty), perhaps there is still time for him to turn things around - starting with a shock win against a wounded Norwich this evening.

Say we stay up, and start August well, and then linger around the top half next year, I wonder if LJ can win back our support.

A 8 game winning streak

If he's at the club in August he'll need a fast start no matter what division we're in. He'll also need it to continue into a good season. To be honest he's going to need to produce something looking like a promotion challenge whether we're in this league or the one below. A slump* like this season will not be tolerated.

* Can it even be called a slump when it's lasted for 4 months now? We've been slumping for the majority of the season.

6 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

IMHO LJ could never be a popular manager at BCFC -

- the family connection

- his reputation as a player

- his bull-shit style

- what he has done to the club

- his lack of respect for the club and fans.

The fans will be asking for his head until it is provided.

In some respects I wish things could be different - but this is the reality.

Show me a club where shit managers are appreciated??

:dunno:

tfj  :protest:

If we go on a tear and win every game until the end of the season all will be forgiven by the vast majority of the fan base. Football is a fickle mistress and a few wins on the bounce wil cure many ills. I would suggest anyone who says it wouldn't is probably dealing with a fairly significant pants fire

But how he's still in a job for us to be having this debate beggars belief 

12 minutes ago, Benjam!n Ultra said:

He's got to the point where he won't win the fans back imo. 

The negativity is pretty deep rooted now. 

I think you might be right about some of the babies on this forum, but your average decent fan can easily be won over with a string of decent results! 

20 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

He could take up skydiving....without a parachute.

21 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

If he's at the club in August he'll need a fast start no matter what division we're in. He'll also need it to continue into a good season. To be honest he's going to need to produce something looking like a promotion challenge whether we're in this league or the one below. A slump* like this season will not be tolerated.

* Can it even be called a slump when it's lasted for 4 months now? We've been slumping for the majority of the season.

We're in bathyscaphe Trieste/ Marianas trench territory.

Way too far gone to come back as it's got to the point "sadly" where some fans are getting annoyed when we win (rare as rocking horse poo I know) that he turns to the crowd with a smug smile, it's getting fans vs LJ and not thinking too much of the Bristol city badge and players.

Pure poison now much like when Russell Osmond was player manager where he scored for us and boooed as fans were just sick of him.

He could win every game from now til May and it wouldn't be enough for me. The word untenable comes to mind. 

All the formation and 11 changes per game, the '1%s' bullshit line, the 'no one hurts more than me', and the sniggering and smiling through interviews have brought on a genuine dislike for him. 

29 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

It will take alot imo.

But it's not just LJ, the whole club will have to do an awful lot. The way they and SL have been carrying on reeks of contempt at the moment.

My faith, trust and respect is sinking so fast.

Even if we stay up he will still be pretty much in a lose lose situation and the fans have had enough and I don't think that will be turned around. With the squad we have we shouldn't be in this position, so it isn't any type of achievement if he keeps us up. The trouble is his tactics are ridiculous, performances are generally poor and fans can see it all. There doesn't really to seem to be any signs of improvement etc either. Whatever happens, if he is still here after the last game of this season, Lansdown will soon see what damage has been done as there will be a big downturn in season ticket sales for next season.

The thing is he should be beyond the point of no return but...

Modern football being what it is if he puts a run together, a strong run all will be forgiven among a lot of people- enough to tip the balance anyway. Not so much on here, or other fora but on the many who don't post on any.

Look at Chelsea last year- fans disgusted about Mourinho going, now love the same players who got hostility in first home game thereafter. Look at Leicester, dare say quite a few fans were more than a little annoyed when Ranieri got sacked, annoyed at the players but two 3-1 wins on the spin and 'The King is Dead, Long live the King' or something like.

Essentially, a good winning run would win back a lot of the angry fans I think (whether it should is another matter).

15 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

If he manages to keep us up come May, I want him replaced in the summer to give his replacement the time to rebuild his own. 

It's gone too far to change my mind.

If he does keep us up - and I very much regret that will NOT happen, he will be given at least another season.

SL will hail him as the messiah who saved BCFC.

Yep.

it's like starting a bonfire that gets out of control, putting the fire out yourself and the fire brigade thanking you for doing a 'great job'.

Great job, Lee, you tit.

:disapointed2se:

:sad26:

:badmood:

tfj :protest:

37 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I'm beyond caring now. Bristol City are my team and I love standing in the Atyeo with my friends and watching football and having a good sing and shout.

The club will do what they want and my options is worthless.

I'll still go, I'm not going to support anyone else and that is football.

I think I'm at tbe point now where only the thought of us going bust will upset me and force me into physical action. That's not going to happen, we just hover safely around div 3 and div 2. That's okay, it could be worse. 

I want City to stay up.. The club is bigger than anyone.. The sooner everyone (manager, board, owner, fans) remembers that the better.

Let's hope the team can turn this around but I'm not holding my breath.   I have absolutely no confidence in the manager but if they do turn it around I'll be delighted. 

As for giving LJ support, assuming he's going to stay (which I'm not happy about), he's to have to earn that support and it'll take a long time for me to 'trust' him again.

This is a complete mess.. And leaves a sour taste.. I'm really concerned that's it all too late and relegation is inevitable.

I'll be down AG tonight, cheering the team.. However if we lose and it's down to poor management, then I'll be critical of the manager and in all honestly calling for him to be removed. 

What I long for is decent football, an end to the constant silly mistakes, some honesty, players and the team performing and improving, a great atmosphere at the Gate, a much better league position and a return to that tingle of excitement and optimism on matchday morning. 

The name of the manager that delivers the above is irrelevant as long as I can get back to enjoying my football again.

27 minutes ago, petehinton said:

He could win every game from now til May and it wouldn't be enough for me. The word untenable comes to mind. 

All the formation and 11 changes per game, the '1%s' bullshit line, the 'no one hurts more than me', and the sniggering and smiling through interviews have brought on a genuine dislike for him. 

This is exactly what tips me over the edge. I have sat in the car (luckily parked up) listening to his post-match interviews; and I hear him chuckling and giggling!!.  Passers-by must think I’m insane; as I attempt to bend my steering wheel out of shape.

And some say it’s only a game.  Oh dear; this situation is making me feel quite ill.

Were a fickle bunch. If we win 5 of our next 7 games say, finish the season strongly and are half a dozen points clear of the drop at the end of the season i think he will start the season wish a clean slate. Start the season poorly and very quickly it will turn nasty again IMO....

Archived