IGNORED

Wrong man sacked

Redmycolour

Speculation only, one scenario may be:

SL told everyone that a decision would be made after the Burton Game.

After the Burton game SL had decided to keep LJ on until at least the rest of the season.

JP and maybe DT commented that the results/tactics/selection/etc was not good enough and that they could not/would not work with LJ in moving forward.

This refusal to further Co-operate has led to JP and possibly DT being "relieved of their duties."

2 minutes ago, Marty said:

Speculation only, one scenario may be:

SL told everyone that a decision would be made after the Burton Game.

After the Burton game SL had decided to keep LJ on until at least the rest of the season.

JP and maybe DT commented that the results/tactics/selection/etc was not good enough and that they could not/would not work with LJ in moving forward.

This refusal to further Co-operate has led to JP and possibly DT being "relieved of their duties."

The Des Taylor situation was circulating at the start of February.

The initial statement on the club website simply stated that JP had "been relieved of his duties" with no explanation or any words of thanks for his efforts on behalf of the club etc etc.  I was frankly shocked that a loyal, decent club servant should have his employment termination announced in such an ungrateful and rude manner.  It was shameful.  I now see that the statement has disappeared and has been replaced with a more diplomatic statement from SL giving appropriate thanks.  This has been handled in a shoddy and amateur manner which reflects badly on the club.  I am disgusted.  Shame on the club.

2 minutes ago, Red Bill said:

The initial statement on the club website simply stated that JP had "been relieved of his duties" with no explanation or any words of thanks for his efforts on behalf of the club etc etc.  I was frankly shocked that a loyal, decent club servant should have his employment termination announced in such an ungrateful and rude manner.  It was shameful.  I now see that the statement has disappeared and has been replaced with a more diplomatic statement from SL giving appropriate thanks.  This has been handled in a shoddy and amateur manner which reflects badly on the club.  I am disgusted.  Shame on the club.

Doesn't this just sum things- the club- up at the minute?

Most of us have absolutely no idea what is going on but we seem to all be assuming that Pemberton is competent and Johnson isn't and that either Johnson has thrown Pemberton under a bus to save himself, or that Pemberton must have criticised Johnson and then walked / been sacked.

Nobody seems willing to entertain the possibility that Pemberton might have been part of the problem. Everybody is so dead set against Johnson, and ultimately he will need to take the blame if we go down, that they simply don't want to consider the possibility that the club might be better off without Pemberton.

Time will tell how this decision pans out, and I certainly think it should have been done earlier, when Johnson himself was under less pressure, but I don't feel we have enough information to support the outrage that's being generated.

Not sure that the wrong man was sacked, one thing's for sure, someone/something needed changing.

Process of elimination as to who is to blame for the situation we are in has started, it may well be just SL and LJ sat in the office in a few weeks.

Definitely the wrong man sacked.  

The team were doing well when he had more influence and wasn't just coaching the defence in isolation.  A team defends as a unit and shouldn't just be segmented to the back four.  A coach that isn't selecting players, formations and tactics isn't the one who needs to go.  

JP's CV is actually impressive and he won the league with Forest reserves in his season there and had success also with the Palace academy team.

He had limited time as temporary manager but he set the right tone, worked hard, set tactics astutely, kept it simple and showed some passion.  I think he is a good man manager as well and I am sure players and fans alike would respond much better to his down to earth style compared to LJ's verbal diarrhoea.  We will never know but I think Steve Lansdown has made another wrong choice.  I am sure his son JL enjoys working with Lee but that shouldn't;t be the criteria for determining our manager,

At least SL had the grace to put out a replacement statement to the charmless one that went out yesterday. Whoever drafted that for the media team, I assume it was Mark Ashton, should hang their head in shame.

35 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Time will tell how this decision pans out, and I certainly think it should have been done earlier, when Johnson himself was under less pressure, but I don't feel we have enough information to support the outrage that's being generated.

I think a lot of the outrage was because there had been no thanks. The news filtered through from fans, then JP himself, then finally the club.

The outrage seems to be over the handling of it and the inexperienced replacement. Although, there's a clear disappointment that JP's time with the club has ended, most people seem to realise that it's difficult to comment on why he's gone, but the manner in which it happened was awful.

15 minutes ago, Hello said:

I thought Des Taylor was supposed to be the bees knees, but then he was used to working with a decent manager

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/why-des-taylor-turned-his-back-on-the-premier-league-to-join-bristol-city/story-29439942-detail/story.html

If Des Taylor was responsible for selecting the recent recruits, given that they are not deemed fit for the Championship first team, then surely it's only right the club parts ways?

You only have to look at the basis of last nights team and how few were recently recruited to see that something wasn't right.

4 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

If Des Taylor was responsible for selecting the recent recruits, given that they are not deemed fit for the Championship first team, then surely it's only right the club parts ways?

You only have to look at the basis of last nights team and how few were recently recruited to see that something wasn't right.

If players deemed good enough for their national sides and established Bundesliga players are not deemed good enough for our first team, I would be more likely to question the coaching WTGR Tone. If it was a singular player, then I may agree but they can't ALL be bad WTGR. Bosnain, Swedish, Icelandic internationals don't become crap unless they're poorly managed / coached. All 3 football associations can't be wrong can they?

6 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

I think a lot of the outrage was because there had been no thanks. The news filtered through from fans, then JP himself, then finally the club.

The outrage seems to be over the handling of it and the inexperienced replacement. Although, there's a clear disappointment that JP's time with the club has ended, most people seem to realise that it's difficult to comment on why he's gone, but the manner in which it happened was awful.

No argument from me on that front. It was executed appallingly and should have happened months ago if it needed to.

But look at the topic title. There's definitely a feeling that Pemberton should have stayed and Johnson gone that's grounded in nothing but Johnson being the senior man.

1 hour ago, Red Bill said:

Nope, the original release is still up.

I don't know why people are surprised by this. I was tempted to say pemberton may be the problem a few weeks ago but didn't bother as I couldn't be arsed with the grief.

It's common knowledge that he is our defensive coach. That doesn't mean back 4. It means defending as a unit. We haven't ever been tight as a unit since he arrived at the club - the double winning season we were so much better than everyone else in the league that our defensive frailties never showed.

At present, we don't have problem scoring goals, we have trouble keeping it out of our own net, which ultimately lies with Pembo (and LJ don't get me wrong).

Just because he shows passion for the club doesn't mean he should get away with doing a poor job. I was a big fan of his because he was a likeable bloke but I care more about Bristol City than I do Pembo so for me he has to go.

LJ is a different discussion.

34 minutes ago, 8menhadadream said:

If players deemed good enough for their national sides and established Bundesliga players are not deemed good enough for our first team, I would be more likely to question the coaching WTGR Tone. If it was a singular player, then I may agree but they can't ALL be bad WTGR. Bosnain, Swedish, Icelandic internationals don't become crap unless they're poorly managed / coached. All 3 football associations can't be wrong can they?

I'd wager the outcome may be better with those same players brought in had it been in the close season where they have a full pre-season to work with the squad and could be introduced into the squad in a careful and sensible way.

What did we Do?  Chuck them head first into a Championship relegation scrap.  And we wonder why some are struggling to perform.  This is football transfer business 101.  Nothing to do with coaching IMO.

Question is, who made the decision on transfer policy in January?

Archived