IGNORED

Am I genuinely in a minority that doesn't hold a personal resentment towards LJ?

JHAGa

I completely understand frustration for what's happened this season but I still like Lee and don't understand the need for personal abuse which is rife on here and social media. He's been unlucky at times but is, of course, deserving of criticism for where we currently find ourselves.

I also understand frustrations at what happened with Pemberton and I particularly am annoyed with the statement the club put out that showed him no respect, but ultimately LJ should be able to decide his own coaching set-up. It's the board that wanted to part ways with Pemberton earlier than planned, it's the board that have stuck with Lee, it's the board that have made it difficult for numerous managers over the years. Yes, people can ask why are they showing so much loyalty to Lee, especially when compared to other managers like Cotts, but that's the board's fault not LJ. All my grievances over this season are with the board.

I followed Lee as a manager at Oldham/Barnsley. I think at Oldham particularly he did a very good job with limited resources. I understand why we went for him with his links to the club, although I, like many, knew it'd be a gamble at the time. I understand why SL wants to stick with him and try and break the pattern of bringing in a new manager every year. Again, I'm frustrated he didn't do the same with Cotts who genuinely deserved backing but I do get what he's trying to do. Maybe it's romanticism due to his surname but on paper, he's a young highly-rated coach who knows and admires the club and buys into what SL and the board want (in sense, a yes man, I don't think it's amiss to state that).

It's been a terrible 4 months but he came in and did a good job before that. He cares about the club and hasn't deliberately got us in this position, he's lost his best player at the end of August without a replacement, he/the team have genuinely been unlucky in numerous games with ref decisions and when it comes to LJ, players failing to take clear-cut chances or giving away unnecessary penalties. His inexperience over the course of recent months has definitely been evident and nobody could argue if he had been sacked but he's clearly the board's man and they have made a massive gamble in remaining loyal to him. If he's out of his depth, the board are to blame for not getting rid, Lee isn't not trying and has good intentions. I'd love nothing more than us to stay up after the next ten games and for him to lead us to a successful season next year.

I have no problem whatsoever with LJ, personally. 

He's a likeable, decent kind of bloke. I really wish he could have continued to build on the second half of last season, but he does appear out of his depth now and unable to rectify it all. 

IF he does get the chance and does turn it around, then I'll be pleased, but I think it's all gone on too long for him to claw it back. 

That doesn't make him anything other than a manager who should part company with the club. I've no issue with him other than that. 

I agree with the OP, the hatred is too personal and unnecessary.  Being calm and rational If I was him I wouldn't resign, I'd keep trying my best and hope I could turn it 'round.  What else can he do?  He's hardly going to resign and walk out on a 5 year contract. Would you?  The decision is with the Board, not the Manager.  Of course people are free to express their dissatisfaction with performances, but what's the guy supposed to do?

I have stuck with him longer than most and respect SL for trying his hardest to be loyal, but LJ finally lost me a few weeks ago and I no longer believe he can manage us effectively.  My only hope was that Pemberton would again steady the ship and give us a lift, but now he has gone I am sadly starting to contemplate that relegation now looks likely.

But I do agree with the OP, Johnson is doing his best. I don't hate him and lay responsibility for the clubs position at the owner/board, not the Manager, who is simply an employee doing his best to earn a living. 

I'll support us to the last kick, but am not sure I have another L1 season in me.  Am sure I'll come 'round though. 

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

If you followed him at Oldham did you know many of their fans nicknamed him 'snake'?

Oldham? Really? Barnsley fans don't like him, but he's generally well regarded at Oldham. When he left, they were upset because he left them when they were in a higher position than Barnsley but most understood that Barnsley had more potential and LJ wasn't on the best of terms with the board at the time after the Ched Evans saga.

Considering he's set a club record for losses, and bar already down Rotherham hasn't won a game since October, I think he's getting an easy ride off the fans. May be vociferous criticism on OTIB but in the ground other than a few rumblings, it's deafly silent and the whole ground has an air of resignation.

I don't hold a personal resentment towards Lee himself. I am extremely disappointed of the lack of support and action from SL, MA and the board towards him. Lee needs a mentor; not his dad or those with pretend footie experience in MA or SL. The mentor that Lee needed was someone who has seen this before; a Joe Jordan, Harry, someone of that stature who can get the team gelled and motivated as well as laying the law down while gaining respect. 

The lack of action and support has poisoned the situation. Everyone can see that LJ is struggling, even since Xmas, but now its almost too late. We can see that indicators are showing that Blackburn, Wolves, Burton and even Wigan may be turning their fortunes around by making changes. BCFC, we are doing the same old every week and every game. 

Because of this decaying situation, SL has lost all credibility with me and MA, after his interview is nothing but a spoilt puppet!

Now, according to MA, it lies with the fans to create unity. OP, do you see where this is going?

I don't think anyone deserves personal abuse for a job they are doing badly, be it a football manager, a policeman or a shop keeper and I will fight to the death to defend people from personal abuse.

At the end of the day LJ is a real person just like each of us, he is genuinely trying his hardest, Ok it's not going as he or us would hope. Criticise his tactics, subs, signings by all means, there is plenty to moan about in all of that so don't understand why people take it to another level by adding personal abuse.

I've read some really well thought out posts and then right at the end that poster will call him a clown, I sort of feel if your not going to give someone respect then I struggle to give respect for that persons opinions.

People have an absolute right to air their oppinions and frustrations but when he (and not just him) gets called all the names under the sun it crosses the line imo.

I'm well and truly on the fence, thats no secret on here! But with all the abuse Lj, SL, MA etc gets it kinda makes me have sympathy for them.

11 minutes ago, LC_ said:

Considering he's set a club record for losses, and bar already down Rotherham hasn't won a game since October, I think he's getting an easy ride off the fans. May be vociferous criticism on OTIB but in the ground other than a few rumblings, it's deafly silent and the whole ground has an air of resignation.

By all means people can shout Johnson out as much as you like (before and after the game) and boo as much as you like(i've even done this) but the personal abuse isn't on imo.

I met Lee plenty of times in a business capacity when he was at the club as a player. I liked him a lot and found him a genuinely personable, friendly, humerous bloke with a lively personality and positive mind set.

How he wasn't relieved of his duties as head coach weeks ago, I am at a loss to understand. Lansdown rightly let both SOD and Cotterill go at the right time, so what the hell is going on here? I just don't get it. But anyone giving him personal abuse is bang out of order.

• Admin

Don't hate him, but I am convinced he should have been given his P45 and payoff weeks, if not months ago.  Nothing personal, but he doesn't appear to have the right qualities to turn this round, trouble is, the longer it goes on and the deeper we are getting into the mire, more and more will, rightly or wrongly, become vitriolic towards him.

Archived