IGNORED

Atyeo fans moving to South Stand next season

Red Army 75

10 minutes ago, semblar said:

I am a bit worried about the potential for them to feel separated from the game. I am also a bit concerned that they will not see the players up-close (their final warmup was by the family area for example). There are possible ways for this last point to be mitigated though - perhaps some of the non-involved players being available for autographs etc. up in the area?

Well that's going to be a great game.

"OK kids guess who is coming to sign autographs." 

"Is it the Man of the Match from our last fixture?" asked Little Johnny.

"How did you guess?"

"I just thought it was their punishment from LJ!" replied Little Johnny.

And so "out of the mouth of babes" came forth the "truth"!!

But people with children don't have to sit in Family areas do they, youngsters are allowed in other parts of the ground. I guess people are doing this for cheaper tickets, but like people have said its only until they are 12(?) then you have to relocate anyway? 

Personally if money wasn't an issue and if I had children who were okay to sit in another part of the ground I would, as I did when mine were small ( there wasn't any family areas back then), but if there were I don't think I would have chosen to use them.

1 minute ago, RumRed said:

When did family areas begin?  I can only ever remember sitting/standing in the normal stands/terraces, was this an 90's thing?

I think at AG it was when the Atyeo was built. I seem to remember a smallish uncovered area between it and the Williams being set aside for it to begin with.

15 minutes ago, RumRed said:

When did family areas begin?  I can only ever remember sitting/standing in the normal stands/terraces, was this a 90's thing?

Well there was the "schoolboy enclosure" in front of the Dolman, which suited my dad as he could stay in Crackers Corner with his mates and pack me off with a couple of friends with our little pink season tickets that got punched round the edge and became more and more frayed ax the season went on. Watched all of the old First Division from there!

I don't really get family areas. Swearing is part and parcel of football, they're gonna hear and use that language in the playground anyway, for me it just means don't bring babies to the football haha, and violence has been pretty much extinguished from the modern game, at least in this country. My dad said to me 'What is said at the football stays at the football' when I was little and that was that. And as Red M pointed out it's not like they have to sit in the family section is it?

18 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Well there was the "schoolboy enclosure" in front of the Dolman, which suited my dad as he could stay in Crackers Corner with his mates and pack me off with a couple of friends with our little pink season tickets that got punched round the edge and became more and more frayed ax the season went on. Watched all of the old First Division from there!

I'm not so sure that would count as a 'family' section nowadays! :thumbsup:

42 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I think at AG it was when the Atyeo was built. I seem to remember a smallish uncovered area between it and the Williams being set aside for it to begin with.

yes your right. Used to sit there with my two kids(now in there 30's)! before moving to the Atyeo when built where I stayed until we were kick out to the South Stand!

1 hour ago, Dollymarie said:

The clubs reasoning for moving them up there (don't shoot the messenger) is that they are going to turn that big bit of unused space upstairs in the Lansdown stand into a "kidzone" with things for younger fans to get involved with before the game. 

I remember seeing that at a rugby game at Ashton Gate in South Stand in either end of 2015 or early 2016.

Bouncy castle and some other activities anyway. Dunno whether it was a one off or whether it always happens at rugby.

Either way a sign of the times- kid zone at football??

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I remember seeing that at a rugby game at Ashton Gate in South Stand in either end of 2015 or early 2016.

Bouncy castle and some other activities anyway. Dunno whether it was a one off or whether it always happens at rugby.

Either way a sign of the times- kid zone at football??

A bit over the top in my opinion. Surely the whole idea is so that the football is the main attraction.

I thought the main principle of a family area was so families could sit together, be as far away from bad language as possible and get a good view of the game - in that case, the upper Lansdown is the best possible place. The corner is not a very good view at all.

On 11/03/2017 at 17:51, Dollymarie said:

It was never dangerous. It's just the previous safety officer wasn't a fan of standing. The current regime is much more tolerant. And in any case the stand was built so that one day should safe standing be allowed to be retrofitted, it can be. The rake of the stand is fine. 

If only they were more tolerant about the lights.

Moving the family section to the upper Lansdown makes perfect sense, and given the number of seats in the upper tier there is no reason why when children get to the 12yr age limit they can't simply stay there for as long as they like and pay the additional cost for their ST.

I still regard those first few rows in the upper Lansdown as prime seats however, and wonder if the club will sell them to adult ST holders as well?

Will the areas used by the supporters club and mascots now be an open bar area for the singers?

Making these changes will mean that the ground is being used to its full potential I think, just need to sort out somewhere to put your pint while eating your pie now.

Atyeo? Meatheads?? There have been families joining in the Atyeo rather than going in to the family section as they love the flags and singing. Meatheads? Really?.. 

Only thing I will say that yes maybe the family section is too high up for kids as yes they like to sit touch line to interact with the players and get autographs, it would make more sense to have families in the seats by the tunnel and dug out which then could defuse and abuse directed towards the manager and players on the bench (deserved or not), thus giving kids more interaction with the players. 

3 minutes ago, SARJ said:

Everyone seems very optimistic at the moment about the move, which is good, but give it a few months and there will be complaints from the adjoining blocks about language, standing and behavior. 

I don't see why there should be complaints. The standing area will be clearly defined, and there is plenty of room, so no need for any overflow type standing.

The atmosphere will improve, no question, believe it or not there are people in the SS and Lansdown who often join in with the singing, and with the most vociferous people closer that will definitely increase the sound levels, win win as far as I can see.

I can't imagine not sitting in an unreserved area anymore, after several years of doing so. It means if you have an annoying twerp near you, you can move away from them, not be stuck next to them for the whole season, also taking kids to football, one of whom is now my foster son and who has various issues because of what he's been through, the ability for him to move about during the game is vital. If I told him he had to sit down in one seat and not move, he'd really struggle. 

14 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

I can't imagine not sitting in an unreserved area anymore, after several years of doing so. It means if you have an annoying twerp near you, you can move away from them, not be stuck next to them for the whole season, also taking kids to football, one of whom is now my foster son and who has various issues because of what he's been through, the ability for him to move about during the game is vital. If I told him he had to sit down in one seat and not move, he'd really struggle. 

I'd like to see them introduce more unreserved areas to the ground to be honest. The wing blocks of the Dolman, for example, are unreserved areas for the rugby.

• Admin
26 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I'd like to see them introduce more unreserved areas to the ground to be honest. The wing blocks of the Dolman, for example, are unreserved areas for the rugby.

But the rugby get thousands less - so much easier to do

12 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I liked the reopening of the old East End because I could bomb about as I pleased and the relaxed stewarding re standing.

If football is to reclaim something of its original authenticity then the authorities are going to have to come around to compromisation.  

I appreciate times change and Hillsborough was a sad climax to how things were.  

The over steer has been overwhelming though and the commodification of football has removed its raw essence.  Its very sad.

'Safe standing', unreserved seating and affordable ticketing could help in redressing the balance.  City has become akin to an experience at the Showcase Cinema (Horrar films in particular ;) ).  Not something deriving passion from me.  

As a footnote, I'm not a 'meat head' hooligan, just a bit of an adrenaline addict.  Football no longer meets my needs.

On 11/03/2017 at 22:01, WTFiGO!?! said:

I mainly got into City because of the atmosphere at games, the B Block Dolman an all that.  Yes, all my family are City but these days, honestly, they're essentially turning it into to an Ed Sheeren gig;  it's a nightmare.

All the games I've been to at AG since the new build are just a family day out attraction type affair.  Like the Hippodrome.

It's not just Landsdown or LJ; watch MikeJ's YouTubes seasonal highlights from yesteryear.

Football is now a populist, fashion accessory. 

Football as it was in my heart is sadly now dead.

Ain't that the truth.

On 11/03/2017 at 19:40, kevthered said:

Think it's the right thing to do especially in this league.......But if the worse happens and we get relegated I would not be happy giving 4000 seats away to the Sags....Couldn't think of anything worse than hearing that awful dreary stolen song being sang and were only given 1000 over Whorefield, it makes me shudder

On 11/03/2017 at 19:42, Bristol Rob said:

Can't imagine they'd get much more than the minimum, simple to keep the police bill at a manageable level.

I hear what you're saying but you fail to understand (1) How Hargreaves Lansdown made their money, and (2) The point of spending millions on a ground redevelopment.

We are not supporters, we are wallets. Home and away fans, both. The point of the redevelopment is to maximise revenue, not restrict attendance numbers but increase them.

So if 4,000 gAssholes want to rock up and sing that "awful dreary stolen song" (as you so correctly describe it) then I suspect he will be happy to take their money.

After all, it doesn't matter how many they bring so long as we dick them on the pitch.

On the other hand, if we go down and they go up :grr: it's all immaterial

I like the unreserved sitting areas allows more freedom for fans.

I used to sit in the old Williams stand before having to move due to redevelopment and that unreserved area was great. Sat there from when I was about 5 whenever we could get to games from Sussex. Never really bothered with family areas etc.

Archived